iDRY Vacuum Kilns

DanG Laptop

Started by Magicman, September 16, 2016, 08:58:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I am getting comfortable with Win10, but I cheated and download the shell.  Thankfully I have been using two laptops for several years and each are loaded the same and with virtually the same programs and files.  I say virtually because only one has Excel & Word.  I'll soon make a test run and see if I can move the Excel files to Libre.  I thought that I had unsuccessfully tried it in the past but as they say, I have slept since then.

I am enjoying this new one because it is so small, light, and no heat.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

OK, what to do with two crapped out laptops??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

What's died on them?

Common problems are dead hard disks, blocked up cooling fins on the heat sinks, or just corrupted installations of Windows (virus and other malware)

Depending on what's wrong you can ofter get them going again, or at least salvage the Ram and Hard disk to fix another machine.

If you can get one going I'd use it to play with Linux, just cos you can.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DR_Buck

Quote from: Magicman on September 27, 2016, 07:01:47 PM
OK, what to do with two crapped out laptops??

I have found that because of changes in technology, they are just about worthless.   Replacement hard drives are expensive and usually harder to find since technology has advanced.   Usually older one also are in need of battery replacements which are very expensive.   You can quickly have more cost in parts than a new laptop cost.    They are also slower and much of the new software will not run on them.

Clean them up, install an old operating system and a few games and give them to the grandkids.   ;D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Magicman

My two spreadsheet are now on the new laptop.  I was able to copy the Excel files to an SD and then paste the files into Libre on the new laptop.   8)

Happy, Happy, Happy.   :)

petefrom bearswamp

Reading this thread makes my hair hurt.
I ungraded to windows 10 and went back to 7.
Old dog no new tricks.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

@Jeff slight problem.  Something on my "Sound" is either turned off or not enabled on this laptop.  I can listen to videos on the web fine, but the sound in links to videos here on the FF is somehow blocked or not enabled.  Actually, I do not know if the video sound here on the FF has ever worked on this new laptop. 

I watched the same video on the other laptop and the sound was OK so it is a setting somewhere.

OK, I can click on the YouTube icon in the lower right of the video and get sound.