iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

emerald ash borer

Started by sprucebunny, July 23, 2004, 09:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chet

While traveling north to da UP from da Piggy Roast I was pleased to see that there were finally firewood transport signs and a firewood check station at da bridge.  8)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Furby

Yup, was filled in on that at the roast.
I guess there is a dump site on the South side and a voluntary check point after you cross, with plenty of signs.

Corley5

On our way home from the P. R. we passed a truck north of Grayling that had a load of ash firewood pulling a boat headed north.  I'm sure that at least two of the pieces were ash.  We made a call to 911 and they were more than happy to pass the truck and trailer plate #s on to the State Police.  We're not sure if they got them or not but they wouldn't have made it across the bridge anyway

pasbuild

Good for ya Corley, thanks for doing your part smiley_thumbsup
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Emrldashbr

I sure would like to see a lot more interest by people like you.  It is very sad to see how much firewood is being hauled around.  Unless we watch the main roads full time it is impossible to keep a handle on it.  We are trying to explain to the State Parks that all hardwood, non-coniferous firewood is prohibited from leaving a quarantined area.  But for the most part all they tell campers is they can't bring ash to the parks.  Most people don't know what ash is or looks like.  The employees at the State Parks do some form of firewood inspection but it could be easier if they got the message correct up front, before the wood gets there.  I don't know if the Police are passing along firewood transport calls but I know that the Michigan Department of Agriculture follows up on all of the calls it gets.  When we do follow up on these types of calls we have to rely on what the individuals tell us as to the origin and destination of firewood.  A confession is the only way to verify a quarantine violation.  In addition to Firewood inspection points at rest areas, moving firewood blitz activity occurs where Regulatory personnel look into vehicles and take license info for later contact, and work with the State Police Motor Carrier Division helps us by pulling over vehicles so the inspector can seize quarantined violating wood on the spot.
  The increase in fines and penalties for quarantine violations (effective Sept. 1, 2005), are a reflection of the concern our State has in regards to this and future insect pests.
  Thanks for keeping your eyes out and trying to pass along the info!
New exotic pest to watch for Phytopthora Ramorum.

Corley5

We noticed last weekend that the beech trees around our camp in Da UP  east of Munising are infected with scale.  I knew it was in the Eastern UP but was unaware that it was headed west until I talked to forester friend last week.  From what he told me we are on the "advancing front" of the scale and in a couple years the nectria will begin causing the trees to break off etc.  It really is too bad and too late to stop it.  Hopefully the EAB can be contained.  What gets me about the whole thing is once again there has been almost no public education on beech scale.  There are no checks at the Bridge to keep beech firewood etc from entering the Lower Penisula ::)  It's just a matter of time before someone brings some beech firewood home for the fireplace or a camper brings their extra wood from the UP to a campground down here and we've got another outbreak.  Our beech tree's days are numbered.  Better start planting European beech but the EAB probably likes them ::) ;)  I read something at the Logging Congress about some sort of a wasp from Europe and North Africa that has been found in NY that can cause up to 80% mortality in pines :o ::) :( >:(  We're not gonna have any trees left

SwampDonkey

The maturity of our tolerant hardwood covertype is sugar maple, beech, yellow birch. A small minority of folks are keeping an eye out for unblemished beech in severely infected stands. These are left. Since beech isn't found often in pure stands the diseased beech can be removed without being detrimental to the stand. Historically, the whole stand would be cut for pulpwood or firewood. Then there are always the folks that believe the smoother and straighter the tree, the better the firewood.  That's true in some ways I suppose.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dana

Has anyone else noticed a lot of die back in the tops of the ash tree's? I see it a lot here in Charlevoix County and hope it dosen't always mean infestation.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

BCCrouch

Surprise!  They're infected.  The trees die back from the top and usually sprout suckers from their base log as the tree attempts to stay alive.
On the plains of hesitation lay the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of their victory sat down to rest, and resting, died.

Jeff

BCCrouch, I do believe there are other maladies that can cause the same thing in ash trees. Seems like you would need to examine the trees to make the EB diagnosis acurate.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

I've seen the same symptoms here, but the cause was someone moving earth around the base of the tree. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

BCCrouch

On a specific site, sure.  Mechanical disturbance, ash yellows, etc. can cause mortality here and there, but living in SE Michigan and seeing the ashes fading fast is enough to cure you of any optimisim unless an aggressive parasite or pathogen is discovered that'll take out the EAB.  I'm just old enough to remember the American elm street trees being cut down in Detroit and it's happenning all over again with our Fraxinus friends.

I've also seen the firewood going north and a good number of people from Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham, Troy, and the other upscale areas own second homes in NW Michigan.  I'm not a gambling man, but if I were I'd give you 10 to 1 odds that the large scale ("a lot here in Charlevoix County") decline of ash is the work of the EAB.  I'd be delighted to be proven wrong, but that's not likely to happen.

If you have an ash in your yard as a shade tree, Dana, start treating it now or just cut it down and replant with something else.
On the plains of hesitation lay the blackened bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of their victory sat down to rest, and resting, died.

Dana

On the news this morning, they reported that they had caught a guy who was trying to cross the Mackinaw Bridge with firewood. It seems he saw the check point signs warning not to bring the wood over the bridge.  Pulls into a gas station and  removes the wood from the trailer and puts it in the motorhome. Someone apparantly saw this and let the ag. guys know. Looks like he may get the 10,000 dollar fine. 
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Jeff

I have someone that dropped in that wants to come and cut up some of my pine slab wood for camp wood. He said they are going bird hunting in the U.P.  I told him you can't move firewood across the bridge, even if its pine as far as I know. He said, "I don't care!"  Well, I am going to let him get some if he wants. I am then going to call the state police with his name and license.   I suppose I should refuse him the wood, but if I do, he will just get it somewhere else and I wont have the chance to report him.

I don't want to do this. The guy is a neighbor from about a block away. He is a decent guy. BUT, the I don't care statement has told me a lot about how this is spreading.  This fellow knows full well about the ban, and apparently has made a decision to ignore it. When you make stupid choices, you should suffer the consequences.

Corley5

What really gets me about this whole firewood thing is the last time I was in the UP there were lots of tree and firewood was easy to come by.  Why haul haul it there in the 1st place?

SwampDonkey

Corley, there are always people that like to defy. And when someone interferes with their freedom of movement, the more determined they are. ;)

Jeff

I have decided if this fellow comes for the wood, he wil have a stern talking to. I am going to tell him again why he cant take wood to the U.P., and depending on his attitude towards that, I will go on to tell him that I plan on reporting him because I have to. I have no choice.

Ron Scott

I would think that that would stop him. especially if he has heard about the latest violation caught crossing the bridge. smiley_policeman
~Ron

estiers

The quarantine regulates hardwoods firewood.  So he can legally cross with pine.

Just given ya the regs. :P
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Jeff

Ok!  I'll let him know that and wont have to report him. That means I can give him a good lecture and still get rid of my wood! Thanks Erin. :)

estiers

Erin Stiers

Corley5

So when are we going to hear some results of the trap tree survey?  The trees around here cut and chipped some time ago.  There must be preliminary findings.  Is the public going to be let in on it in timely matter or is it going to be some deep dark secret that's kept as long as possible? 

estiers

As far as I know they are still in the removal process.  I haven't heard any results yet.
Erin Stiers

Corley5

Let us know some results as soon as you can  Thanks :) :)

Thank You Sponsors!