iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lunch break!

Started by Tom, November 02, 2003, 04:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

We stopped sawing and went to a Bar-b-Cue joint for lunch.  I could hardly wait 'cause I was hungry.

Our off-bearer ordered first.

I want a jumbo sandwich and tea

what kind?

jumbo!

What kind of meat?

Oh!  Uh-h-h  Pork.

Bun or toast?

Uh, toast

Toasted bun or Texas toast?

Texas toast

Side?

OK!

Well what do you want?

what are you offering?

French fries, baked beans, cole slaw......

French Fries.....

You only get one.

French fries!

Tea?

Yes

No!  .......do you want sweet or unsweet?

Sweet

(That's always been understood where I run around, I thought.  It's a good thing he didn't order anything special,  ....might not have had any time left to eat :-/ )  There were three other people at the table eating too. :D}

I'll have what he ordered.

one check or separate? :-/ :-/

Frank_Pender

Tom, a can of peas all round would have made things a lot simplier. 8)
Frank Pender

ScottAR

Musta been a Trainee... :D

Hello all...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

D._Frederick

Tom,
How is the blue machine holding up, any more bad problems since you lost the clutch. I was wondering how much clearance to you allow on your friction saw guides, between the plates and the blade. I built a set of this type guide and am having a problem when I set the clearance to to 0.010 inches. I have saw dust build up and wedge the blade till it heats up, if i go to 0.015 inches of clearance I don't have the problem, but I loose some blade support.

Happy Sawing,
                                     D._Fredericks

Tom

Yes,

I can't keep the "paper" board measuring scale intact.  I have painted them with clear lacquer, and covered them with many coats of clear cellaphane tape and painted that with fiber glass resin.  All kinds of coverings but none will withstand the 65 mph gale that beats on it at highway speeds, especially when the weather is foul.

The mill lives out of doors and the sun and weather is hard on it too.  I was given a handfull of the plastic coated paper scales about 3 years ago and have used the last one.  I went to buy one and had to pick my jaw up from the floor when I was quoted a $70 price tag for it.  That would equate to maybe $150 a year maintenance bill.  Not good as one item of several to keep it running.

I set my lower guides to "almost" touching.  I don't know how far off they are but I can't slip a matchbook cover in the gap.  I think a paper matchbook cover is about .030 so I would guess that I am .015 to .020.  The top plate is the easier to set.  I put a dollar bill on the blade and drop the plate to contact it.  When I pull it out, there is a small gap.(if I didn't bend the blade when I did it.  I  have very little problems with these guides, although I have replaced the aluminum on one side with steel and will do the same on the other side one day if it bends. I have had a second one made and store it in my spare parts bin.

The biggest problem I have is the adjustment with the backwheels.  Aggressive sawing will move the guide to the rear (I try not to tighten it too much)  The larger the gap between the back of the blade and the wheel, the more unstable the blade becomes.  It's something that I try to keep an eye on most every cut and check it closely everytime I change blades or shut the machine down.

The back rollers have 6200 bearings in them that don't last too long.  When they destruct, they will sometimes spin in the hardened casing and make the entire component unusable.  I have been real lucky in being able to rebuild these.  At Thirty dollars a piece, that isn't an item that I care to replace too often either.  All in all this style of blade guide does a rather good job.  It is just so different from the roller guides to which I was accustomed.

Paul_H

They must have missed you coming in Scott.

Welcome to the forum!
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Tom

I'll be a son-of-a-gun!

Hey Scott.  Welcome to the forum.

Paul_H

Tom,I figured you missed him on account of Charlie and the Zebra debate that has been keeping you preoccupied.

I don't see how Charlie could miss it.It's right there in black& white.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Tom

I think Charlie is color blind.  He doesn't see Black and white :D :D :D

Mamma dropped him on his head ;D

ScottAR

No worries.  Happens all the time...  I'm naturally sneaky I guess.   ;D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Haytrader

I tell ya, I am not generally one to complain but.............
Does anyone else get pithed at all the questions and the decisions ya have ta make at Subway sides me?
I told my wife (who loves the place) that I don't want to answer all those questions, just have them make me one likes in the picture on the wall.
It just about ruins my appetite having to make all those choices when I'm hungry.

:D  :D  :D
Haytrader

Tom

I'm with you Haytrader.  I would rather sit down and just have them feed me. That's true in most resturants.

Telling a waitress I want Breakfast and coffee should get me bacon, eggs, grits and coffee around here.  But, if they brought me pancakes, I'd eat'em. :D

Jeff

Tammy gets aggravated with me. She is always asking "what do you want for supper" I always say, "food"  Really, I am like Haytrader, I would rather you just give me sumpthin. Either I'll like it or I wont but I'll still eat it. Being forced to choose makes me loose my apetite too. Maybe thats why I like Borgesmorgs so much. Sumpthin different every trip down da line. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Haytrader

Jeff,

I call yer Borgesmords "self feeders".
You could say...........choices without questions
 8)  8)  8)
Haytrader

DanG

Somehow I kinda figgered you liked a buffet. ::) Tell me true, now, do you get your money's worth?  :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Haytrader

Who me?

I get within a quarter........

:D
Haytrader

Slofr8

I live next to the Canadian border, have Canadian relatives, have worked with Canadians, and have Canadian friends.  That's my disclaimer!
Talking about psycho waitresses,
my wife and I ended up in Quebec this summer and stopped to eat at a restaurant. Now, I speak a little french and can make myself understood around here but our dialect is a far cry from what they speak in Quebec.  I know some Quebecers take offense to people hacking up thier langage so I wasn't going to press my luck.
A young waitress came to our table and asked (in perfect french) what we would like.  Not wanting to embarrass myself I said in english, "We'll have the buffet." Now buffet sounds almost the same in both languages but she stood there with a blank look on her face until a nice man at the next table told her in french.   She wrote that down and asked what we wanted to drink.  My wife said "Coke" which brought another blank look.  "coke" I said "just coke". More silence.  :-/ Same man got out of his chair and asked her what the h#ll she didn't understand about that.  It sounds exactly the same,french or english.  She wrote it down and stormed off. He apologized for her and we thanked him for his help and had a laugh about it.  Everyone else we ran into was very nice and we had a great weekend.

Norm

Growing up I worked in my mom's restaurant. We had lots of colorful characters and a few clunkers. I worked the early breakfast before I went to school. We had one clunker that always complained his pancakes weren't big enough. Now this went on for some time as he was a regular, there every morning when we opened at 4:30. Finally my mom decided we would play a trick on him. She brought from home some milk strainer filters. These were the ones that were thin and probabley made out of paper. He came in and ordered his usual 3 cakes and 2 eggs sunny side up. (he put the eggs in between the cakes and slathered the whole pile with syrup) We poured out huge pancakes on the griddle carefully put the filter in the middle and then poured more batter on top. These things turned out huge! Sent them out and waited for a response. Later he came back to the kitchen and said "now those are the right size cakes" it was all we could do to keep a staight face. When he came in for lunch he didn't eat much as he told the waitress that those cakes kind of set heavy in this stomache.

VA-Sawyer

The french waitress story reminds me of a waiter in Austria. Back when we were stationed in Germany, we went on a ski vacation to Austria. An American friend of mine named Jim spoke pretty good German.( At least he had no problems communicating with them back home. ) We all went into this ski lodge for lunch. We were a mixed group of Germans, Americans and 1 French guy. The waiter was doing OK taking our orders in English, German and French until he got to Jim. Jim placed his order in German, and the waiter had this puzzeled look on his face. The waiter asked Jim in German to say it again, so Jim did so again in German. Then Jim said something to me in English and the waiter turned to Jim and in English asked him to please order in English. It seems that even though they speak German in Austria, it is a different dialect. (Kinda like Southerners and Northerners. ) It was just too much for the waiter to figure out that Northern German dialect spoken in combo with an English accent.  ;)

Rick

Frickman

I'm a little like Jeff in that when I'm hungry, just feed me. This past summer I was coming home about nine at night from looking at timber after baling hay all afternoon and pulled into a Bob Evan's. The waitress took my order for my drink, a pitcher of water, and said she'd be right back. I told her to bring my dinner back with the water. She said I hadn't ordered anything, but I didn't care, 'cause I was starving. That's usually why you're in a restaraunt. I don't remember what I ate, only that it was good, as I ate it all. They did a great job after they figured I was hungry, not picky. But I wondered as I left if I was the first hungry person they had ever seen.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!