iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Wide Board Club

Started by WDH, March 15, 2018, 07:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Had a call yesterday from a guy wanting to make a bench out of red oak.  He specified 1" to 1.5" thick and 24" wide and 7' long.  I asked him if he wanted boards that would add up to the 24" of width, but he said, "No.  I want a single board 24" wide".  When I asked why the board had to be 24" wide, he responded that he did not want to spend the time gluing up several boards.  I did not even try to talk him out of it.  Of course, I did not have a red oak board that wide anyway.  I try not to saw anything wider than I can plane, and that is 20" max. 

I get these calls a lot.  I deal with some really skilled wood workers, but also many beginners and novices.  What many people do not understand is that if the 24" wide board is not cut perfectly from the center of the log, the board will have flatsawn, rift sawn, and usually quartersawn grain across the face of the board.  Since quarter and rift grain shrinks less than flatsawn, it is very hard to dry a 24" board perfectly flat because of this differential shrinkage.  They are very prone to cup, which in a board that wide, usually cannot be planed out.   If the board is in fact sawn from the dead center of the log, it will be quartersawn across the width, but the the juvenile wood and the pith and center ALWAYS cracks and splits in oak.  This is usually not desirable. 

I call these folks members of The Wide Board Club
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

I spent a couple of hours last night trying to politely write someone who will only hear the music in their own head. I think much of the current proliferation of wide milling capability is going to people with no real understanding of how wood behaves. Yup we can mill wide and you can make something out of it, but go carefully my friend.

Kbeitz

I'm in that market. Or I'm working on it. Lots of people as me for he same thing. so I'm cutting really wide stuff real thick. Then I'm letting it dry and I built a router plane to make it flat again after it drys. No clue if it will work but I'm going to give it a try.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

TKehl

You just need a bunch of logs 54" diameter and wider so you can get single 24" quarter sawn boards from half the log without including the pith.  I don't see a problem here...   :D  ;D  :D  ;D  :D  ;D

8)  8)  8)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

muggs

I have dealt with that my whole life of selling lumber. 
A lot of people find gluing intimidating. I solved it by gluing up panels and charging a big premium.  ::)   Muggs

pineywoods

The wide board club is wide spread ::) I get lots of woodworker customers who don't comprehend that 2 10 inch boards is much better than a single 20 inch. I haven't tried offering to glue up 2 or three boards and charging accordingly. Might be a good idea..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bruno of NH

That's why I'm getting out of the contracting business no one wants to listen to you any more.
They know it all already.
They see a wide board on tv and think it one board not 3 glued up.
I sell firewood now.
Last week a women calls me up desperate for wood.Tell her all I have is green wood by the cord or 1/3 of a cord.
She says can't do that all I have is $40 .
She asks if she can come get it. I again tell her it's green ,wants it any way.
Calls me up Sunday wants a refund on the wood it's no good.
Tell I'm come get the money Monday.
She tells me it's my fault meet her at her work.
I do and she won't come out wants the money slid under the door.
I  tell her no money unless you come out finally goes.
The new world order we live in :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

TKehl

Quote from: TKehl on March 15, 2018, 09:36:42 AMYou just need a bunch of logs 54" diameter and wider so you can get single 24" quarter sawn boards from half the log without including the pith.  I don't see a problem here...

Hmmm...  I realized my figures were off.  To avoid drying issues, you really should cut off the sapwood.  So the logs need to be a bit bigger than 54", but diameter required would vary by species.  ;) ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

warren46

Sometimes the appearance of a really wide board is attractive (in the eye or the beholder).  When I wanted a 24 inch board for a dresser top I took a 26 inch wide board that had dried and of course cupped.  I then ripped it into three narrower boards, jointed the edges and planned to 3/4 in thick.  I then glued the boards back together matching the grain.  I got a top that look like it is a 24" board with rift and flat sawn grain.  It has stayed flat for some 20 years.

I like the looks and get a lot of positive comments about it.

Warren
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

Southside

Quote from: Don P on March 15, 2018, 07:49:00 AMsomeone who will only hear the music in their own head

Wait - I hear music in my head...:D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

LeeB

Is it music they hear or just the wind whistling through?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

starmac

I have seen some really nice bar and counters that were wide and live edge, how is it that they saw these for the best success, some I have seen were pretty old. The ones I have seen were pretty thick.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

thecfarm

I get people like that all the time in the hardware store. They are looking for that certain answer in thier head. Even though they asked me to help them. ::) 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I put a customer in the Wide Board Club today with many 20"-26" 9/4 Walnut two live edge slabs.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

The Arkansas chapter of the Wide Board Club is alive and well. I had two inquiries from members this week. It seems like the membership here may not be the sharpest and also don't have very deep pockets.

I always politely refer these people to my almost neighbor. He has been doing slabs as a full time business for nearly 30 years. Has a Lucas slabber, kiln, all the right equipment to process slabs, showroom, and plenty of inventory. He says most of the members of the club are only slab kickers, something I have also learned.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Peter Drouin

That's why I'm not into wide wood, unless it's 1" thick pine board.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

21incher

Send them to @tule peak timber 
 he is king of the Extra Wide Board Club. ;D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Southside

Had a charter member contact me this morning.  Has one highly valuable 400 bft (18' long) walnut log to be sawn, into full width boards.  Told the customer best to bring it here given it's a small volume and would be 100 miles of driving for me so the normal bft sawing rate would not apply.  Didn't like that answer and wanted a price.  So I explained that it would cost one Standard Goat Unit ($300) for me to travel there and complete the sawing.  That was when the crickets came out...slab kickers. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Roxie

One Standard Goat Unit ($300)    :D :D :D
Say when

WDH

123maxbars

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

scsmith42

Did somebody say wide board club?

Bald cypress with 1000 growth rings

20" QS if I recall correctly.

19.5" QSWO

The one to my right is 48" at the narrow part.

And one of my personal favorites....  72" wide

This one isn't very wide but it's 44' long!

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Tule Peak and Scott Smith make me dizzy..... :o :o :o
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

69bronco

Scott, that old dog sure thinks a lot of you!

scsmith42

Quote from: 69bronco on March 17, 2018, 06:24:44 PM
Scott, that old dog sure thinks a lot of you!
She's a Daddy's girl for sure!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

barbender

Standard Goat Unit! The good ol' SGU, I love it!!😂😂😂
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

The futures market has the exchange rate for the SGU trading well above Bitcoin and the Euro.... :D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

LeeB

It's a bull goat market for sure. On second thought, maybe it is a bull .... market.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

I recently sold a cedar bench for 1.7 SGU's :)

Customer:  "I need to get a quote on a 2" thick, 8' long, 39" wide farm table".  My reply, "I could not do it for less than 3 SGU's". 

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: LeeB on March 18, 2018, 08:54:09 AM
It's a bull goat market for sure. On second thought, maybe it is a bull .... market.  :D
Lee, it's obviously a Billy Goat Market...
:D ;D :D ;D :D ;D
Herb

Southside

If you have ever noticed Google Earth allows you to measure things in "smoots" well we have now officially developed the SGU as a currency measurement!!  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Texas Ranger

SGU's can be broken into smaller units, horns and beards.  Note, nothing on castration.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

thecfarm

A blue rubber band will straighten out the casteration problem on a goat.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Banjo picker

Jeff you are gona need to put the SGU into the knowledge base.  We are all getting older, and we will see that later on and won't know what it is.   ;)  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Banjo picker

Let me change that to the forestry forum dictionary.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

ellmoe

Read a different post before this one, Danny mentioned moving a slab for one SGU. "What the heck"? ... NOW, I understand. SGU, the beginning of an era. :D
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Holmes

Quote from: tule peak timber on March 16, 2018, 09:14:23 AM
Someone say wide ?
Just curious are you going to make tables with that wood or just glue it all back together and make a BIG Stump? :)
Think like a farmer.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on March 18, 2018, 10:53:02 AM
I recently sold a cedar bench for 1.7 SGU's :).  

Customer:  "I need to get a quote on a 2" thick, 8' long, 39" wide farm table".  My reply, "I could not do it for less than 3 SGU's".
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Now 
this is funny, I don't care who you are!  :D

barbender

😂😂😂😂It's hard to imagine that long ago in Forum history, we had no goat! Now he is even forming his own currency!😂

tule peak timber

Quote from: Holmes on March 19, 2018, 07:57:35 PM
Quote from: tule peak timber on March 16, 2018, 09:14:23 AM
Someone say wide ?
Just curious are you going to make tables with that wood or just glue it all back together and make a BIG Stump? :)
The stump..

nativewolf

Tule, nice log.   Do you have much competition for that sort of log?  I have someone seeking a container of at least 40" and larger walnut crotch logs at least 8' long and 36" min at small end.  Not that it takes many logs to make a container at that rate but still. I'm just wondering is there a special market I'm missing out on?  We don't get many over 40" but I could set them aside and make a market once or twice a year I guess.  The American Black Walnut that we normally cut just doesn't get as big as those CA Claro.
Liking Walnut

PA_Walnut

Quote from: nativewolf on March 20, 2018, 10:27:03 AMDo you have much competition for that sort of log?  I have someone seeking a container of at least 40" and larger walnut crotch logs at least 8' long and 36" min at small end.  Not that it takes many logs to make a container at that rate but still. I'm just wondering is there a special market I'm missing out on?

You generally can find these and the end of double rainbows. Single rainbows only have pots of gold. (and are worth less). :D
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

tule peak timber

There is enough competition that I'm backing away a bit. Advertising about "20,000 $" per slab, log prices escalating, and ANYONE with a chainsaw is now in the slab business.Caveat emptor.....

nativewolf

I have 4 sitting on my log stash pile, well 1 of them is only 6' long but oh so nice.  They don't compare to that Claro though.

I hear you on backing away however, if you want to buy mine at only $10k per pop...for a fellow FF member I'll box and send to you.  What is that ...333 goat units?  what a bargin
Liking Walnut

PA_Walnut

Everyone with a walnut log, chainsaw and Etsy is now in the slabbing business.  :o
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Darrel

I've come to the conclusion that being a member of the WBC doesn't cost a SGU! What a bargain!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

tule peak timber

A not so wide slab table we finished today. Mesquite with copper inlay.

Southside

Quote from: PA_Walnut on March 20, 2018, 12:49:17 PM
Everyone with a walnut log, chainsaw and Etsy is now in the slabbing business.  :o
Yup - and everybody on Facebook with a portable table saw and a suitcase planer is a custom furniture builder as well.  I know - they come here to buy $80 worth of lumber and then offer it for $1,000.  say_what 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Quote from: tule peak timber on March 20, 2018, 06:13:45 PMMesquite with copper inlay.

That is beautiful.  Do you smelt the copper and pour it yourself?  How complicated it that process?
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Southside logger on March 20, 2018, 07:51:34 PMThat is beautiful.  Do you smelt the copper and pour it yourself?  How complicated it that process?

I can't answer for Tule Peak, but often times colored epoxy fillers (even with metallic flakes) are used on tables. I've used all sorts of colors...in fact, I have a walnut slab table in process that I'm filling with bronze epoxy . 

I'll take some pix and post them soon. The process requires patience, but is relatively easy. Wooden or bronze butterflies are also used. I have both. I'd love to melt cooper, aluminum, silver to cast my own, but that's a ways down the life-goals list. :)
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Roxie

I just love this place.  :D 8)
Say when

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have NEVER laughed at a thread this much since i've been on the FF.
This is HILARIOUS!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

thecfarm

Jeff did a good job with that definition. I think he has way to much time on his hands. Check out some of the reason to join,if you never had to put that down to join. swampdonkey in a swimsuit????  say_what

Southside

Jeff - 

What about a currency converter as part of the tool box, this way folks can quickly and easily know the true value of what's in their wallet.   ;D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

WDH

:D :D :D

SGU

:D :D :D

I love this place, too.....goat and all.

Brad_bb

You know I see a lot of slabs, and a lot of sticker slabbed logs, but I don't know anyone that actually has a slab table.  I guess I need some rich'er friends?!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ianab

Quote from: Brad_bb on March 21, 2018, 08:03:27 PMYou know I see a lot of slabs, and a lot of sticker slabbed logs, but I don't know anyone that actually has a slab table.

Make yourself one, then you will be the "rich" person to your friends. ;):D

Heck it's not that hard to make a table. Mine only needed 3 boards.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

nativewolf

Quote from: Brad_bb on March 21, 2018, 08:03:27 PM
You know I see a lot of slabs, and a lot of sticker slabbed logs, but I don't know anyone that actually has a slab table.  I guess I need some rich'er friends?!
Good friends have them, hot item here in DC.  
Liking Walnut

SawyerTed

I have laughed harder recently but I can't remember when.  :D :D :D

Here it takes a minimum of two standard goats to equal a SGU!  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Jeff

Quote from: Brad_bb on March 21, 2018, 08:03:27 PM
You know I see a lot of slabs, and a lot of sticker slabbed logs, but I don't know anyone that actually has a slab table.  I guess I need some rich'er friends?!
Uh hum! I take a 19ft long 3inches thick 60 inches wide 1635 year old slab pig roast tables and turn em into truck beds! You don't know anyone else that ever did that!

Brad_bb

Where is that thread Jeff?  I saw the running board in your gallery.

I'm talking about the big slab tables.  from trees 35+ with crotches.

Jeff

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Brad_bb on March 21, 2018, 08:03:27 PMYou know I see a lot of slabs, and a lot of sticker slabbed logs, but I don't know anyone that actually has a slab table.  I guess I need some rich'er friends?!

Brad, your "walnut neighbor" dude may want a walnut slab table to match his mantle! :D
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

tule peak timber

Not wide , but fairly long, 86 feet. Forming up this bar top today, with copper inlay tenons at each joint. Rob

Brad_bb

Tule, I hope it comes apart for moving it?!

tule peak timber

Southside

When I was a kid I played around with model airplanes and a guy down the road a ways helped me a lot. He built his own plane in his basement over something like 20 years. Well, somewhere along the way the basement door must have shrunk as when it came time for the plane to leave the basement there was a little problem. I never knew how that all ended up.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

How about this one?
It's in the Kauri Museum in Northland. It's one single (clear) board, and ~6" thick. The top alone weighs about one ton. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tule peak timber

A beautiful table Ianab ! What did you use for a finish in that beast ? Nice work !

Dakota

My my, that's quite a slab.
Dave Rinker

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Southside logger on March 22, 2018, 11:10:50 PM
When I was a kid I played around with model airplanes and a guy down the road a ways helped me a lot. He built his own plane in his basement over something like 20 years. Well, somewhere along the way the basement door must have shrunk as when it came time for the plane to leave the basement there was a little problem. I never knew how that all ended up.
I knew someone who built his own plane. He was bombing around in the neighbors hay field and it took off on him. He didn't know how to fly a plane, and never intended to gain altitude.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Darrel

About 1978, I worked at a large mill on the Northern California coast that won the bid to cut all the lumber needed for the restoration of Fort Ross State historic Park. http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=449  So the logs were halled in, 10' to 14' diameter redwoods that had toppled in storm in one of the redwood state parks. The cut list was as spectacular as the logs. Most of it 3" thick, width ranging 6" - 24" in width with a few 36" width thrown in for good measure. There was one board on the cut list that was to be cut out of Sitka spruce. 3"x36"x24' #1 or better to be used for a table top. Took us a day and a half to find that board. 

So about five years later, I had a chance to go see the restored Fort Ross. It was kinda cool looking at the finished restoration knowing I had already seen all the boards and touched many of them. But there was something missing. I couldn't find that 24' table anywhere so I asked about it. "Oh that, we cut that into three 8' tables tops. We wondered why the mill sent it as one piece."  

Because it was on the cut list. 
1992 LT40HD

barbender

When long lengths are specified on a cut list, I have learned to ALWAYS verify that length is actually needed. I become tempted to strangle folks when they show up and cut the 24' into 2 12's👎

Dave Shepard

Charge a significant premium for the longer stuff and explain why. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ianab

Quote from: tule peak timber on March 23, 2018, 09:37:19 AM
A beautiful table Ianab ! What did you use for a finish in that beast ? Nice work !
Not my table unfortunately. It's in a museum, although I think it was built in the 70s. Used to be the boardroom table for a local brewery.

Don_Papenburg

I like wide boards myself .  But when I ran out of 1x8 walnut I had to go to a woodworkers shop store .  the guy was trying to sell me two 1x4s glued together as a 1x8 . The grain did not match and one had sapwood in the glue joint. He tried his darndest to convince me that it was not a glue up . Then that you could not get 8inch walnut any more .  

Most of the cabinets that I have seen with glue up panels come with mismatch joints (no book matching) or they have a three board panel with a thin strip glued on that does not match color wise . Oh and the panel was less than 10 inches wide.    I think that is what feeds the need for wide board club members.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Brad_bb

That's crazy Don.  That guy is crazy thinking people will believe him.  I wonder if they glue up panels in cabinets more to help with stability over time?  It can't be cost I'm thinking because the cost of a wide board is probably as much as smaller boards plus labor to glue them up and surface them?

Don P

I doubt the salesboy knew it was a glueup until it was pointed out, then he was just trying to bs his way out of the jam.

In production furniture we would glue up for stability. Lumber would come in random width KD, the stuff you guys are sawing. We would crosscut to rough length, then straightline rip to no wider than 4-1/2" wide, then  RF panel glueup, double end tenoner, wide belt sander and the panel was ready to go into a piece. The tail of the straightline would "make" the panel, that is a pretty high speed job mostly defect checking and giving quick dimensions to the operator. At the rate I was gluing color matching was very hit and miss, the press would open every 30-60 seconds and in would go the next batch of 6-12 panels. I would catch the boards off the glue reel, unshuffle the deck getting dry edges turned in at each panel edge, make a few quick alignments and obvious matches and crank in the next load. Sadly that is the rate most of that stuff is done at. I was making $5/hr. As the wood value went up we would slow down but it is not custom paced.

In a custom shop we would bring in bundles of "16 and wider" Honduran mahogany, nothing narrower than 16" wide, and in a wood like mahogany you can usually get away with it. We did have one client that wanted 3 and 4' wide raised panels in a built in library. The boss tried to talk him out of it but the customer ended up being right. We installed althought the circle top windows were delayed, and it rained. The raised panels indeed expanded more than the frames could handle and the walls of the house moved as well as the paneling.

We got an order from a member yesterday for a wedding guest registry plank... 18" wide x24" long x 1" thick. I'll make one but will also glue up one or two. Not a good idea but my partner said today "it'll last longer than that marriage". I'm not sure if that made me feel better about it or not :D

SwampDonkey

You southern folk build furniture way too heavy. ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Don_Papenburg

This sales boy was older then me , he knew better but thought that i would fall for the BS. 
 I was wondering about that production "custom" cabinets that they sell in the big box stores.   
 The way I was told by the old carpenters when I was a kid  : 
the raised panel in a frame would stay straight because the frame kept it that way . Therefore you could use the larger panel and not have to put in a ugly glue joint. If you needed a glue joint, you bookmatched the joint, or you did your very best at aligning grain patterns so the joint would not show without close inspection .
Brad the guy was looking for a dollar any way he could get it . I am thinking he was pinching for the lowest cost walnut he could get , to sell at the highest price .  He was the guy that took over after the Woodworkers Shop sold out in Morris.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

FalconFan

Found this one at the local lumber yard...

WDH

Try to put that one thru your planer. 

tule peak timber

We worked with Parota once-NEVER again ! :(

Texas Ranger

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 03, 2018, 06:31:07 PM
You southern folk build furniture way too heavy. ;D :D
We are some what larger than our norther cousins!  8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Darrel

Quote from: WDH on April 09, 2018, 07:52:38 PM
Looks like they need to get together with a member of the wide planer club! :D
1992 LT40HD

SwampDonkey

Quote from: WDH on April 09, 2018, 07:52:38 PM
All you need is some glass. ;D

My grand parents used broken glass to smooth rough sawed maple flooring in a newly constructed farm house in the 40's. My grandfather only knew work, dad was trained well. Not one of those "farming from the pick-up truck" farmers with condos at ski resorts. :D

Thank You Sponsors!