iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Modifying my planer to reduce snipe

Started by Brian_Weekley, January 25, 2018, 08:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Weekley

I've been planning to make a new bed for my lunchbox planer in an effort to reduce snipe.  I finally got around to making it and it works great.  This was a good addition to my planer and some of you might be interested in this.

Details of what I made can be found here:

https://youtu.be/KOzRB30gxpE
e aho laula

DR Buck

That's a great idea and a good looking job you did.    The longer bed is a definite way to reduce or eliminate snipe.    Several years ago I sprung for the self adjusting in/out feed tables to put on my Woodmaster 18" planer.   I mainly got them so I wouldn't have to keep adjusting in/out feed table heights.  But, the reduction in snip was quickly apparent and worth the expense alone.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

low_48

It's nice what you did there, but man that takes up more room than a 15" industrial planer!

Crusarius

That HDPE top has got to make feeding stuff through a breeze.

Dakota

Nice project.  I did the same, but used Melamine board.
Dave Rinker

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: DR_Buck on January 25, 2018, 09:00:43 PM
Several years ago I sprung for the self adjusting in/out feed tables to put on my Woodmaster 18" planer.

Must be nice to have a machine that makes molding too!

Quote from: low_48 on January 25, 2018, 10:18:41 PM
It's nice what you did there, but man that takes up more room than a 15" industrial planer!

This setup could probably still work on a normal size stand and the bed attached with only the 4 screws.  Yes, a larger machine would be great sometime in the future.

Quote from: Crusarius on January 26, 2018, 08:08:24 AM
That HDPE top has got to make feeding stuff through a breeze.

The UHMW-PE works great!

Quote from: Dakota on January 26, 2018, 09:12:27 AM
Nice project.  I did the same, but used Melamine board.

I'm sure melamine works great too.  Originally, I was going to glue laminate on the plywood, but for the price of a whole sheet, I was able to get the piece of UHMW for about the same price.
e aho laula

Stacywhetzell

Regarding Melamine and UHMW and one other plastic I saw mentioned in this article:
Where can it be purchased at a reasonable price?
Everywhere I've looked, its higher that a cat's back.
Thanks
Stacy Whetzell

Dakota

I wish I had a picture of mine, but don't.  I have a bench top planer, so I rarely plane boards wider than 8", so here's what I did.  The large sheets of melamine(4'x8') were way too expensive for what I wanted to build, so I found 10" shelves covered with melamine at Lowe's.
They were 3/4" thick and 8' long.  Perfect for what I needed, and pretty cheap.  I added a 1 1/2" strip on each side of the shelf to keep it ridged and keep the board from sliding off the melamine. I just slip it into the planer and support one end with an adjustable roller stand.
Dave Rinker

EOTE

One of the first things I did when I bought my 20" planer (not a lunchbox planer though) was to build an extended out-feed table that was 8' long.  This is because I have a lot of planing to do with 12' boards.  This has worked extremely well.  The only thing I have changed since taking this photo was to make the adjustable legs for the end of the out-feed table out of metal.

EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

Larry

Quote from: Stacywhetzell on February 09, 2020, 10:05:09 AM
Regarding Melamine and UHMW and one other plastic I saw mentioned in this article:
Where can it be purchased at a reasonable price?

Melamine can be purchased as shelf boards at any of the home improvement stores (Lowes, Home Depot, and etc.)

I sometimes plan thin down to .060 for shop made veneer and use a melamine board on top of the planer bed.  The melamine wears through quite fast so might not be so good for hard use.

As a general rule, I allow extra material so I don't worry about snipe.  Rough lumber might have end checks that are going to be trimmed off anyhow.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

21incher

I have purchased hmwpe from farmtek in the past. Its sold as dump truck liner or building liner and is reasonably priced . It comes rolled up and takes a while to flatten.  just fasten it at one end because it does expand and contract quite a bit.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!