iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

filling your OWB

Started by sparky1, February 05, 2012, 12:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky1

got a question, and maybe ill get many differnt answers, but here goes..  I have a CB 6048, first year using it and i love it.. now to the question.  When you guys fill your OWB do you stuff it full of wood? put enough in to get you through say the morning filling til the night filling?

I can stuff mine and easily get a full day or better out of it. Im just curious if everyone thinks it burns more wood when stuffing it, compared to say just enough?  It seems to me it goes through more if you stuff it, but maybe not ???
Shaun J

Superclyde007

I am in my 4th season with my CB 6048.  The first couple months I stuffed it full and wondered what kind of wood eating monster I had purchased. I started experimenting with various methods of filling the unit to conserve wood and still get adequate heat. 

The method I have used the past 3 years seems to work best for me. 
I check the unit every night when I get home from work, ususally between 6-6:30 and put in anywhere from 3 to 7 pieces.  The variation in quantity depends on type of wood I am using, the size of the wood, splits or rounds,  the outside temp etc...  This has cut down my  wood consumption considerably.  A couple of times I have not made it home until much later than normal (10 or so) and even if the wood is mostly burnt up, the coals are still able to keep the temps of the stove in 175-185 range.
If I am going to be gone a couple days I will stuff it full with wood and not worry about anything.  I also have LP furnace backup just in case but it has never been an issue. 

The wood only has to keep water warm and in a specified temp range.  Unlike a firplace or wood stove insert, the heat output from the wood does not directly keep your house warm. The flame from a huge pile of burning wood in an OWB does not instantly die down when the draft closes.  It continues burning and uses wood which is wasted energy if it is not needed.

This may not be the best method for everyone but for me it has worked well.

doctorb

I have not noticed that filling my OWB with wood causes a great increase in wood usage.  Downdraft gassifier stoves don't burn the wood on the portion of the pile that is not in contact with the coal bed.  I think this is the reason that wood usage is decreased in these newer type stoves.  So filling these stoves has less effect on wood comsumption than older type stoves.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

martyinmi

I have 2 relatives with the 6048's, and their experience with them has taught them to put one row just inside the loading door. They feel that the farther they put the wood back, the quicker they lose the available btu's up the stack.
   One of them started filling his up all the way when it was new and was getting 48 hour burns in very cold weather. The 6048 holds 60 cu. ft., and he was not happy with that much wood consumption, so he experimented with the one row(his are cut at 24") in front of the door, loaded once a day, and he figures he cut his consumption by 50%. I think 50% is unrealistic, but I think that because of the 6048's inherent design they are definitely on to something by not tossing wood all the way to the back.
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Superclyde007

I definitely try to place wood as close to the front as possible. It makes more sense that the heat has more time to "heat" water and spend more time on the baffles which gives more surface area for heat transfer as well.

I may have a special case but my wood consumption went down drastically by not "filling" the stove.  I know of other CB owners in my neck of the woods that love the stoves but complain about how much wood they use and they all do the "fill it an forget it method".

I will use on average between 5-7 cords of wood per year from October-March or April depending on weather.  This year has been very mild so it will be closer to the 5 or 6 range.  Heating 3000 sq ft to as hot as the mrs. wants it plus the dhw as well.  Stove is about 75 feet from the house.  I built a shed for wood storage that also encloses the OWB and I think that has helped a little with wood usage since the OWB is protected from the wind etc... plus I stay dry when putting wood in.

mrwood

I have the cb5036. I cut all my wood to 3ft. Which is full length to stay in front of the back baffle. I have tried loading 18" and 24 and have not noticed any benefit to it. I load it more often. I run a good 12-14 hours off the wood and then take the coals to the front and run another 12 easily

woodmills1

my OWB knows when I wake up or return home.....it then uses up its load just before I wake up or return home

makes no difference as to how it was filled........................ :D :P
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

DeerMeadowFarm

We're new to the OWB scene ourselves so this is an interesting topic for me. We have a CB e-classic 2400. I usually fill it 3/4 full once every 24 hours and often I have some remnents of charred logs (not completely burned to coals) left even after that long. I'm not sure if that means I'm loading it more than I should, just right or what....? On the weekends when I'm home, I try to let it burn down more thouroughly so I can clean it better, maintain my coals better and remove any ash from the reaction chamber.

Comments on my MO is appreciated 'cause I'm just learing this as well!

doctorb

DeerMeadowFarm-

Your MO is just fine.  I would suggest scraping the sides to clear the air holes when you just have a charred log or two left.  That scenario is the one I like best.  Good coal bed, fuel right there all heated up and ready to burn, and acces to the air holes.  With that amount of heat nearby, creosote is never an issue.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

sawdustandmud

With my classic OWF i fill once every 24 hours and put in what i think i'm going to need for that time. I rake it up in the morning before work and when i get home again at night. If everything goes as planned all i have is a gray power and little glowing coals. I load to the front about 2" behind the door opening and clean the ashes out at the end of the burning season. Usually the last of April. But i get in with the poker and fluf all the ashes up and when were done burning it doesn't look like ashes more like discolored baby power, its that fine. No signs of wood left. .  .John
if your pants and equipment doesn't have sawdust and mud on them them your not trying hard enough!

Thank You Sponsors!