iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood filling

Started by rdhdfmn, May 29, 2004, 10:21:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdhdfmn

I recently routed a fish symbol into a 25x48 cedar top. the depth is about 1/4 inch deep. I want to fill that in with a filler so when I finish the top it looks smooth on the top. thanks   RD

shopteacher

What are you planning to use for filler?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

rdhdfmn

I really dont know. I thought about some type of epoxy or maybe something that is made for wood. I also thought about maybe busting up tile and grouting it, But then I worry about the water in the grout leeching into the cedar. I really dont know. thanks

burlman

you could inlay it with an exotic wood or atleast one that would contrast the cedar color. maybe some maple. leave it a little high then sand her flush when the glue dries. I use epoxies as filler when i'm working with spalted wood. JB weld works well and after you sand and finish it it has a blueish gray color to it. Depending on the epoxy after it dries the color it will turn when you apply the finish. tests are required before you decide . Again I try to leave it slightly higher than the piece to be filled, there is some shrinking when it dries so leave enough extra. I use a belt sander with a 120 grit to grind it  flush  with the surface. good luck...burlman...

Ianab

One thing you could try is clear resin and pieces of paua shell, it should work in a fish pattern, very underwater and the colours are neat

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!