iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mamosa

Started by matt, September 18, 2001, 09:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt

A friend of mine pointed out what he called a Mamosa Tree to me.  But I cannot find out anything about it.
I am in Southeast Ohio but it is more common in southern states.
It has fern like leaves from a distance, have not been close enough to see otherwise.
And it blooms in the late summer (just ending here) with white and pink blossoms.
Any ideas on either a different common name or even the Latin Name?
Thanks in advance.
Matt

Don P

Hi Matt,
Try searching with the spelling Mimosa. On a previous page on tree and plant ID here we had the smallest member of that family I had seen, sensitive mimosa. Down at the Clemson (SC) botanical gardens a month ago there were some small ground cover plants that were not sensitive but had to be members of the family also, had just never looked down for em. Its in the legume family. We have your tree in southwestern VA. Mimosa is the only common name I've heard for the tree.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

swampwhiteoak

I've also heard mimosa called "silk tree" although not very commonly.  The one growing in SE Ohio is most likely Albizia julibrissin (sp.?) which is a tree, not just a ground cover.  

It's used some as an ornamental, although in my opinion it is a pretty poor choice.  Mostly just grows in fence rows as an escape (originally from China).

Thank You Sponsors!