iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Port an 038 Magnum or trade up?

Started by Kiowa904, December 18, 2017, 02:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiowa904

New here. Been lurking a while.
I have an old, but recently rebuilt, 038 Magnum as my "big" saw and a Husky 440 (Been a remarkably good saw) Until recently also had an MS 391. Am considering getting a mid-sized saw like a 550xp or 262, and either buying a new 70+ cc saw, or souping up the Stihl. I'd save a few dollars, but can the 038 be improved much?

Thanks
Bob

Al_Smith

In my opinion the Stihl 038 mag was one of the finest saws that company ever built .Some might disagree .They complain about the weight .So I'm nearly 70 years old and it doesn't bother me.What is the big deal ,go to the gym and work out .mumble grumble :D

Al_Smith

Forgot to mention that saw takes to modifications like a  duck takes to water .Just do it correctly ,you'll like it .

Kiowa904

Thanks. Any suggestions who should do it. I want a reliable work saw, no racing...

Gary Davis

I have an O38mag for about 20 years still runs like new the O38 was about 3.8 cu the mag is about 4.4 any thing under 20-24 in its my go to saw

Woodcutter_Mo

I have no experience with getting performance work done on a saw yet, but Wicked Work saws and Mastermind Worksaws are a couple I see mentioned alot on the subject. Both do performance work for saws that are meant for daily use and not specifically for racing. I'm sure there are others as well.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Kiowa904

crazy4saws

Welcome Kiowa904, Alot of good information on this site as Im sure you will find out. Im not a builder but have had several saws woods ported and am in the process of another right now. Was your 038 rebuilt with OEM parts?   Give  Jack Beelar a try, email is danger_cat@rocketmail.com.

Thank You Sponsors!