iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Perkins 3-Cylinder AG3-152 in a Massey-Ferguson MF40

Started by Kansasaw, December 09, 2008, 01:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansasaw

Hello,
     I recently purchased an MF40 for lifting logs onto a sawmill.  It turns out, the Perkins AG3-152 engine is bad.  I will probably overhaul it, but before I get started, does anyone have a good Perkins AD3-152 diesel for sale?  It looks to me that this would be a simple converstion if I can find one, and I'd end up with a better tractor.  Thanks is advance. 
J in Kansas

pineywoods

Check with surplus center  www.surpluscenter.com  They had several kinds of small diesels listed in the last flyer, perkins, kubota, cat, all new...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Polly

8)        diesel engine trader .com     listed under perkins engines for sale i think i just counted 5 or 6 3 cyl some new some remanf     :) :) 8)

Slabs

The AD3 is common to the 135 farm tractor.  Should be loads of them around.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Kansasaw

OK all, thanks for the tips.  I'll follow up on them and let you know how I come out. 
Since I wrote, I dropped the oil pan and found two of the thrust washer halves in the bottom of the pan.  I removed a main bearing cap, and a rod bearing cap and the crank journals are pretty well grooved.  So, my overhaul costs on THIS engine will include either having the crank ground (which I'd rather not do as you loose the hardness), or replacing the crank with a new one.

Kansasaw

I ended up doing a complete overhaul on the AG3-152 and replaced the crankshaft.  Parts were NOT cheap, but there are plenty around.  The engine design is very good for overhaul, and I ended up with an engine that should run trouble free for a LONG time. 

Thank You Sponsors!