iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Considering opportunities with different agencies - WA state vs federal

Started by CO_west, August 23, 2018, 03:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CO_west

If anyone has experience working for or with the Washington DNR or the Bureau of Land Management in the Pacific Northwest, I would love to hear your thoughts about them. I know all organizations can be dysfunctional - how dysfunctional are these agencies? If you've worked for them, are they good places to work in general? If someone has experience with both organizations, how do they compare?

Thanks for your feedback!

Southside

A lot will depend on what type of work you are looking at. I have several family members who worked for BLM, USFS, NPS in the PNW. Are you looking at fire or LE jobs or something else?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

curdog

Quote from: CO_west on August 23, 2018, 03:37:41 PM
If anyone has experience working for or with the Washington DNR or the Bureau of Land Management in the Pacific Northwest, I would love to hear your thoughts about them. I know all organizations can be dysfunctional - how dysfunctional are these agencies? If you've worked for them, are they good places to work in general? If someone has experience with both organizations, how do they compare?

Thanks for your feedback!

I just got back from a dispatch working with Washington DNR,  so I don't have long term knowledge of the agency, but I enjoyed my time there and met some good folks with the agency. They fought fire aggressively, and really tried to minimize acreage burned and have good working relationships with other agencies.
I know there is a lot more to the agency that I didn't see during my limited of time there,  but they wanted me to come back out this year or next,  and I would go back again.
I've worked dispatches with blm, but not in the pnw,  so I can't compare the two.

Not sure how this got its own thread.. but hopefully co west finds it..... can a mod move this over to the original quoted thread if needed... thanks 

quilbilly

Forest service out here is worthless for forestry purposes. They do fight fire though. If you're looking for a fire job you can get on, if you're in the westside of WA you'll most likely be sent somewhere else during fir season, Oregon and Eastern Washington have enough fires they can keep local firefighters busy.
a man is strongest on his knees

Thank You Sponsors!