iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Southern Pine Plantation

Started by Texas Ranger, March 20, 2015, 03:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Straightgrain

Nice set up; brings back memories of my time(s) in the S/E. 

Do you bail & market pine straw?
"We fight for and against not men and things as they are, but for and against the caricatures we make of them". Joseph Schumpeter

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

curdog

Good looking stand, how old is it?  Those old fields will get them up and growing quick.

Texas Ranger

I was waiting to see what folks wanted to know.  This tract is near Anahuac, Texas on the Coast.  It is old rice, bean and cotton land.  Has five soils on it with only one listed for timber.  I first worked on it in 1998 with a damage case.  Since then has had 5 plantings, from current 7 year to 17 year old stands.  Best stand has a Form Class of 85.  Not the best of stands, but the owner is running an agro-forestry operation, running cows under the trees.  Plants,  fertilizes, mows etc, for the grass, but works with the pine.  He prunes the trees to 16 feet. We have a couple of years before the first thinning/harvest, but starting some sanitation work.

No straw harvest 'cause of cows.

He has wet lands that he leases duck hunting, Big Foot from Swamp People has the duck lease.  (Don't watch the show, don't know who he is), and he hunts deer and hogs.  Although the hog hunting consists of baiting as many in as possible, and letting loose with full auto AR's.  Hogs tough on pine trees.

One of my more unusual clients.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Rocky_Ranger

Good looking stand, TR; I've been looking around on the Carbon market and see these types of stands getting to be even more valuable as the screws tighten down on GHG's.  I don't even know enough to be dangerous, but see this coming fast and furious.  What a great story to tell though - old fields converted into carbon storage (we in the "know" call that timber management) :D
RETIRED!

WDH

Last time I looked, the Carbon guys would pay you about the equivalent in terms of net present value of $600/acre to tie up the carbon on your land for a 100 year lease.  I think that I would rather buy some Oceanfront property in Arizona. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Southside

What do you want to bet the Forest Service and BLM start "investing" in that great deal?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

That's about what forest land is worth to buy up here, that's why there is more money to C/C it before selling. That's what is done to. Timber companies will never pay top dollar for timber land up this way. I've seen some folks sell to mills, a piece of land, cheaper than to a relative or neighbor. Funny how people think. The local mill here always CC's their purchased land. If it's hardwood, they won't do any silv afterword. They have also spend money on some of their poorest ground instead of their best. I've thinned through a lot of necrotic fir, gray birch and pin cherry and drive by acres of dark green fir mixed with hardwoods on soil like in the garden. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Rocky_Ranger

Like the forest service and BLM will have a choice - it's already occurring; subtle right now, but mandated.  I still haven't figured out the risk for managing converted fields to plantations.  The way this stuff works, replanting something that was removed years ago is actually more valuable.  Sequencing the harvests with the carbon market could certainly shorten the "contract" to 50 years - not bad for high value shortleaf/too long for loblolly.  An extra $600/acre over 50 years (you can still thin and chase mean annual increment) is going to be a choice a lot of folks will make, I think.  The markets will determine the value and the risk assessments for sure - it is here now, tough.....
RETIRED!

Southside

I have to wonder though if in reality it would work that way.  How many pieces of land stay in the same hands for 50 years these days?  Then there are the market fluctuations and paradigm shifts.  Look at what the markets were in 1965, did anybody anticipate what we have today? 

It was not too long ago that logging in the PNW was decimated by the spotted owl, now the things have a bounty on them.  Personally I think there are way too many political and economical uncertainties for such a scheme to survive in the long run.  That is not to disagree with you that right now it is not happening.  We just never learn. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Rocky_Ranger

All good points; not a whole lot of certainties with this one.....  Unfortunately, it's happening now :-\
RETIRED!

Thank You Sponsors!