iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Planing slabs

Started by Seaman, April 15, 2013, 07:40:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seaman

I have a customer with various slabs he wants planed with the Lucas. They are air dried, his concern is that if you plane one side of the slab, is it more likely to bow because you changed the surface tension?
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

beenthere

Certainly is a possibility that it may warp, but cup rather than bow may be the warp that shows up.

Cup being warp in a plane across the width and bow being warp between the ends (think of pulling a bow).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

My experience with Cypress is that it wont move enough to notice. This is assuming you are just planing off enough to remove any saw marks? Splitting a slab in 1/2 might have some weird effects.

I would think being air dried might help too, less risk of internal tension / case hardening?

Thickness of the slab can be another factor. Taking 1/8" off a 3" thick piece shouldn't have any effect. Taking 1/4" of a 1" piece... maybe?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Seaman

Thanks,
yes I meant cub, not bow, and yes we are talking a minimal amount off a 3in slab.

You dudes are great!
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Thank You Sponsors!