iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Recommend small saw for older guy?

Started by John Mc, April 13, 2018, 11:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

I have a friend who is in his 70s, and a smaller, wiry guy. He's in good shape for a guy his age, but as he says, he's not getting any younger. He's well versed in engines (restores antiques engines) and takes good care of his equipment.

He has a 35 or 38cc Jonsered that has given him nothing but trouble for several years (and he hates the tool-less tensioning system on it). He is going to retire that saw (maybe keep it as a backup).

He mostly putters about on his 10+ acres keeping trails clear and harvesting some of his own firewood. It's mostly smaller trees, so the 16" bar and 35-38cc have been fine for him. As he put it, "it cuts what I need it to cut... when it's running".

He is strongly leaning toward Husqvarna. A pro-level saw is not in the budget - and really, his usage is light enough that he can't really justify the expense anyway. Weight is something he is concerned about.

I was thinking of recommending he look at a Husqvarna 440 (I think you can get these without the tool-less tensioner - can someone confirm that?). He did not really seem interested in looking at Stihl, though he might change his tune if there was a really good reason (i.e. something more compelling than just the usual "Stihl rules"/"Husky rules" argument.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

woodsdog2015

Unfortunate he isn't interested in Stihl because I would highly recommend my MS251 with the .325 yellow chain, its a very nice saw for the money, light and nimble, responsive and won't rob the bank.  I have really beat on mine too and I cannot complain.  It has more spunk then the older and more intrepid MS250 but that's a great saw too.  Also, I was just watching this youtube video the other night and the NEW Stihl MS201C looks like a real cool saw.  You can put a bigger bar on it too and its light and seems like it would do what your buddy needs a good saw to do. 

Swedish Homestead review of the New Stihl 201C
I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

starmac

It has been a couple of years, but my husky dealer told me that if I wanted a small cheaper saw, to just go get an ecco, and he stocks the small huskys.
He claimed they are cheaper, just as well built as the small huskys, and he does the warranty work on them anyway.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

woodsdog2015

So an update on the Stihl 201C, for S's & G's I called a dealer in my area and the price of that saw is around $710-$730!!!! Whew!  He said he doesn't even stock these as they just wouldn't move at that price point.... even with his commercial customers.  He told me an MS 241 is in the mid $500 USD range.  It is a cool saw though.  
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

John Mc

Quote from: woodsdog2015 on April 13, 2018, 02:52:35 PM
So an update on the Stihl 201C, for S's & G's I called a dealer in my area and the price of that saw is around $710-$730!!!! Whew!  He said he doesn't even stock these as they just wouldn't move at that price point.... even with his commercial customers.  He told me an MS 241 is in the mid $500 USD range.  It is a cool saw though.  
Which is one of the reasons he's just not going for a pro-level saw. He certainly appreciates well-made equipment, he just can't justify the cost for his light use.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

Quote from: woodsdog2015 on April 13, 2018, 12:20:57 PMUnfortunate he isn't interested in Stihl because I would highly recommend my MS251 with the .325 yellow chain, its a very nice saw for the money, light and nimble, responsive and won't rob the bank.

I agree the MS250/251 might be a nice saw for him (though it is about a pound heavier than the alternatives he's looking at).

DelawhereJoe

The Echo cs 352 is under 9lbs, 34cc it was going to purchase one before I was given a stihl ms 180. Does he have any problems pull starting things? The ms 180 I have has the ez-start to it but has the stupid tool less chain tensioner. It has a counter wound spring to it so all you have to do is pull the cord out and when you are near the end of the cord it automatically cranks the motor over a few times.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

WV Sawmiller

My wife has one of the EZ start Sthil 180 and loves it. She can't pull one hard enough or fast enough to crank but this works fine for her. I use it for trimming board ends and light work around the shop and it is a very nice little saw.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

wild262

For a small saw under 50cc, I would recommend a Echo 360P.  Weights 8.5 lbs.  35cc and shares the same motor as the 355T which is proven.  Retail is 389.00  On Echo's customer appreciation day's going on right now, he can take 20% off that.  I bought one and love it.  I have a bad back and knee.  And this saw is a joy to cut with. ;D

mike_belben

MS200T.  At his age being light and powerful will really pay off. 
Praise The Lord

knuckledragger

Ms170 is one of best saws I own/have owned. $179 I believe. I got my first one of the 170s in '02 and I still have that saw and it runs good. The ms170 is a Floyd Mayweather Jr. saw. Lite,quick, and has a good punch.

sawguy21

Mike, the MS200T, now the 201, is not a good choice for the consumer. It is the best on the market for the professional arborist but the top handle is downright dangerous in inexperienced hands and probably beyond his budget. If he wants to stay with Husky the 440 is a good choice but bang for the buck the small Echo's are very hard to beat.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

wild262

Quote from: sawguy21 on April 13, 2018, 11:13:36 PM
Mike, the MS200T, now the 201, is not a good choice for the consumer. It is the best on the market for the professional arborist but the top handle is downright dangerous in inexperienced hands and probably beyond his budget. If he wants to stay with Husky the 440 is a good choice but bang for the buck the small Echo's are very hard to beat.

I agree.  Echo's are one of the easiest starting saws I have owned.  A lot of other people will tell you the same thing.  Two pulls and mine is running.  This guy doesn't want a Stihl, and not a "pro" saw at that.  :)

starmac

Has he looked at the newer electric saws?? They keep getting better, and I keep getting older, so they are looking better all the time.

Iwawoodwork

I have an assortment of saws, Husky, stihl, and echo, and the one I usually grab is the echo 370, purchased at a Box store on sale for less than $200 over 6 years ago. cut a lot fir and hard juniper fire wood, is light and with a 14" or 16" bar works great.  I will buy another when this one dies. 

47sawdust

John,I am 71 and I have a 42 cc Dolmar that is light and cuts very well.I use it for everything felling,limbing and bucking smaller logs for firewood.I couldn't be happier with it.Starts very easy.I bought mine off Ebay.There is a dealer in Sheffield Vt.,Chainsawr,didn't know about him until after the purchase.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

mike_belben

I suppose kickback is an issue with a tophandle in a new users hands, which the OP did not mention.  He said he was elderly and small, not inexperienced or lacking competence.  I dont know the man and am going by the description given.  If he has lived this long with a saw i presume its because he knows how to use it. 

I feel 3 times safer in the tree and on the ground with a tophandle.  Its small and light, gives me the free hand that so often saves me from a fall when im climbing around in the tangle, dicing up tops.  I also get wacked in the face much less and never let limbs pile up to trip me because i grab and throw each one with the free hand as im cutting.  I just cant go back to trim up work with a 2 hander now.   But i admit, you gotta be real aware and have a firm grip with a top handle to keep it from cartwheeling out of your hand and climbing you. 
Praise The Lord

sawguy21

And there lies the problem with a top handle. If it is operated with one hand there is no control over kickback, the brake can't be engaged. I refused to sell one to a consumer. In Britain anyone covered by compensation is not allowed to use one on the ground, rear handle only.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

starmac

I have never used a top handle, but have used small saws one handed much like what Mike is talking about, I would think the top handles would be much safer, myself.

mike_belben

I realize society and legal industry at large will disagree, but i was raised in a stroller in the garage with dad, and taught very clearly that the responsibility for not getting hurt was on me.  That the cost for failure was pain.  Ive shook many an older hand lacking some digits on account of a bean picker, toolchange arm, spindle, chuck, buzz saw, snowblower.  I know because i ask, and there is always an admission that amounts to 'i made a mistake.'

I remember my grandfather screaming at me when i put my hands on the end of a plank coming out of the planer, safely away from the knives.  I thought he was being a jerk.   it only took me 35 ish years to understand him, when i started screaming at my boy to never run behind the truck or machine im operating even when he is 20 feet back.  I'm being mean to him out of love and someday he will get it like i did.

So my brain doesnt think 'dont recommend him the tool for the job' .. it thinks make sure he knows how to use the tool.  I dont see a saw as any worse than a hatchet.  If you can be deemed competent to drive to the woodlot, you can be deemed competent not to cut on the kickback side of the nose and not to put a body part in the path of the bar's plane.  They dont make arm or face chaps, we have to use our wits in place of armor.  That said, a certain amount of tragedy is beyond our control. 

I guess maybe its just a culture change as we creep away from being an industrial society and become some other sort of thing.   People in asia wear flip flops in factories and seem to live to a similar age as us.
Praise The Lord

Tin Horse

I completely agree with Mike. At times I'm criticized for working alone and with what I may be using. I know the consequences that can occur. But I'll never blame or accuse someone else if something did happen. My choice and my decision. My favorite saw is the Husqvarna  T540XP. It's light and good power for it's size. I'd rather not be working with something heavier all day when I don't need to. Years ago lots of saws around here were top handle. Now some would like to ban them. I don't believe it's someone else's right to decide what's best for anyone.
I also wouldn't want to promote that type of saw to someone inexperienced. The safety features on today's equipment are great; but it seems to have gone to far over liability issues.
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

wild262

I myself wouldn't deprive a buyer from buying a top handle just because of a potential safety issue, unless I was bound by my insurance company.  Sure there dangerous. But no more than any other saw "if used incorrectly".  Its not up to dealers to be a regulator or to judge how a saw is to be operated.  And your doing that by not selling to them.  Last time I knew, people in this country were allowed to excersize free will.  That's our right.  Some may have no common since, but we still can't make deciesions for them.   Such thinking is what leads to everyone to losing  there  freedoms and rights.  Then before you know it, were no better off than the dictators across the pond. We have enough of George Soris's here the way it is.   I have used a top handle, and still do on occasion, "on the ground".  Still have all I was born with.  People need to learn to be responsible for there own actions, just as I too was taught at an early age. Sad to say, society is not recognizing this to be the case.   That's my rant for the day.  Some of you may like it, and some may not, but I could care less. 8)

John Mc

He's not going to be buying a top handle saw. He has used the standard handle for 50+ years and is comfortable with it. He's not going to change now.

brianJ

People need to learn to be responsible for there own actions  @wild262 You are not in favor of payouts for very hot coffee?

Savannahdan

I like the MS201 in the video.  My main line up includes a Husky 3120xp and Makita DCS7901, both too large for what he needs, and an Echo CS210.  The little Echo is a workhorse and will does a great job for me on smaller projects.  Most of the time I grab the Makita and that's only because the Husky is used for ripping and has a long bar on it and the Echo is in a box and I'm too lazy to pull it out.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

wild262

Quote from: brianJ on April 14, 2018, 05:46:23 PM
People need to learn to be responsible for there own actions  @wild262 You are not in favor of payouts for very hot coffee?

Lol :D  :D.   Nope :)

HolmenTree

Before my time but back in the day pulp cutters up here were running Stihl 07 and 08 saws which technically are top handle saws. Now try and cut one handed with those . :D

I've owned many pro grade Stihl and Husqvarna top handles over the last 20 years and still do to this day. But I never run them on the ground as their completely useless to me on the ground.

My saw suggestion for the OP of this thread is the Stihl MS241CM pro grade magnesium cased lightweight powerhouse.....with a consumer grade low price.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

sprucebunny

I like my MS 193s. Good balance, lightweight, good power and medium price $370.
They oil well, start easy and have been more dependable than the 180s. 
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

upnut

I can highly recommend the Stihl MS241CM from personal experience. After putting 5 gallons+ of fuel thru mine a few things stand out including excellent ergonomics, ease of starting, power to weight ratio, and consistent smooth idling. The air filter is very easy to access remove and clean and the M-tronics has functioned flawlessly. I started looking for the smallest saw with a compression release and have not been disappointed with this one for ease of cranking. Running this saw side by side with home owner grade saws the pro anti vibe system is noticeably superior, and at 64 yrs old much appreciated. I started running chainsaws with my Dad's beastly old McCulloch, followed by some Homelite XL's whose anti-vibe consisted of a thin layer of chrome. My first Stihl 028 was a dream come true and this 241 puts them all to shame... ;)

Scott B.

I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

trapper

upnut in reply 29 expresses my experience with the cm241   My echo 310 has been flawless always starts easy but a bit too small for general use/  
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

gspren

For those with the 241 what is your favorite bar length and chain? At 66 I appreciate the lighter saw but still like some power, the 241 sounds impressive.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

upnut

gspren- Mine came equipped as recommended, the 63PS3 55 chain and 16" bar. 

Scott B.

MAF143

I'm a fairly heavy casual user that heats with wood and have a hobby sawmill.  I'm totally happy with the MS-250.  Light and powerful without breaking the bank.  And I prefer the old fashioned carbs.

For the bigger stuff and cutting logs into firewood, the MS-391 comes out to play, but I wouldn't want to carry it around all day.

I'm not a pro, just a weekend and evening cutter in our own woods.
Always having a great day!
Husky 357 self ported, MS 250 MM, MS 362  MM, HM-126, Ferguson TO-35, '04 F-250 wood cuttin' truck, splitter, Woodland Mills Grindlux 4000 sharpener, Vogelzang Ponderosa keeping us warm

mad murdock

For the O P, i would not discount the better models of electric saws. With a couple spare batteries they are nice. No fuel mixing, no pulling etc. Pull the trigger and go. A friend of mine uses a greenworks saw with either a 14" or 16" b/c and for anything other than a felling saw, says it is a go to for him for use around the mill and lighter duties. 
Maybe a 3 Saw solution would be good for your friend an echo for those times when you need more power or endurance, and a battery electric (decent one) for all the rest. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

sablatnic

The best would be a Stihl MS241, a can of orange paint and a few Husqvarna stickers.
And I say that as a Husqvarna fan boy!

HolmenTree

The MS241CM sold in North America is made in Virginia Beach USA.
Good for the country's economy 

John Mc

As I mentioned earier, I don;t think a pro-level saw is in the card for this guy. I agree the MS241 would be a nice fit, but I don't see him shelling out that much for a saw.

So I guess the question is, are any in the range of the Husky 440 or the Stihl MS211 or MS250/251 really dogs or maintenance hogs, or are they decent midrange saws?

No good Dolmar dealers in my area. Not sure about Echo. I'll have to nose around a bit for them.

mike_belben

Just send him to lowes then.  Theyre all decent until they break.  
Praise The Lord

Savannahdan

Another consideration is purchasing a used saw.  I recently picked up an electric Makita chainsaw from the Home Depot rental shop.  They post their offerings on the Home Depot website and you do need to check with the store about the availability.  The saw I purchased had little use works great and is in excellent condition.  Also, you can do a certain amount of haggling with them on the price.  The largest gas saw they have in the rental shop is a Makita 6401.  
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

TIDE-HSV

I'd like to 2nd or 3rd the idea of one of the battery-operated saws. I have two older Stihls - 026 and 019T. I just purchased a Husqvarna 372xp. I'm 78 but I wouldn't recommend the Husky for anyone in their 70s and worried about weight. However, I bought a Stihl MSA 120C and I've been delighted with it. I think it will put the 019 permanently out of business. I've cut up to 8" with it so far and I have no doubt it'll go up to the full 12" of the bar. It's got a lot of torque. It's light and I find myself pulling it out for small jobs I'd normally put off and aggregate until I gassed up the saw. With the little Stihl, it's just check the bar oil and go. I did purchase an extra battery but, so far, I haven't needed one...
"I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is." Albert Camus

starmac

My grandad had his right hand cut off, when he was  young man and was getting in bad health way back in the 70's. At the time he wound up with an electric saw (110 volt) they were not much back then, but he cut a lot of firewood with it. The newer cordless technology will make the new electric saws look better and better for a lot of our uses as we age.

upnut

I agree, sold some other saws and ended up with a 241/120 combo, so far it has worked out well...

Scott B.

TIDE-HSV

Quote from: starmac on April 16, 2018, 03:45:43 PM
My grandad had his right hand cut off, when he was  young man and was getting in bad health way back in the 70's. At the time he wound up with an electric saw (110 volt) they were not much back then, but he cut a lot of firewood with it. The newer cordless technology will make the new electric saws look better and better for a lot of our uses as we age.
The new battery saws seem to turn up just about as many rpms as a small gas saw. The old corded saws which I've seen didn't turn up many rpms at all. Except for the lack of noise, I could forget that I'm using an electric saw with the 120...
"I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is." Albert Camus

Gary Davis

I have a friend that is about 75 he up graded to  sthl 660 with a 32 in bar and still using it on a regular basis, and another friend that was running my ms 460 with a 32 in bar when he was 90 he couldn't start it but loved the way it cut

teakwood

The 250 is a good and durable saw, i know lots of people who have them
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

HolmenTree

Yep the little MS250 is a robust little saw from experience I had when I set one up for a treework customer.
Customers big complaint was it was hard to pull the starter rope, and he was in his 40s.

knuckledragger

DDW_OR

Quote from: John Mc on April 16, 2018, 10:26:30 AM
As I mentioned earier, I don;t think a pro-level saw is in the card for this guy. I agree the MS241 would be a nice fit, but I don't see him shelling out that much for a saw.

So I guess the question is, are any in the range of the Husky 440 or the Stihl MS211 or MS250/251 really dogs or maintenance hogs, or are they decent midrange saws?

No good Dolmar dealers in my area. Not sure about Echo. I'll have to nose around a bit for them.
did a quick search for Echo dealers near zip 05473. there are a lot
the Echo 310 is light weight and starts easy.
"let the machines do the work"

weimedog

Did this a while back...have a few more video's coming up on the discussion of small gas powered saws vs. the new battery powered saws....the over lap is quickly getting to a point where it makes a lot of sense to consider a battery system for yard maintenance....:)

Husqvarna120i Battery Powered Chainsaw. Are these Saws Useful? A First Impression? - YouTube
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

woodsdog2015

Quote from: John Mc on April 16, 2018, 10:26:30 AM

JohnMc,

I can tell you that my MS251 runs great and I have had no maintenance issues at all with it.  I just cut wood for heating my house and use my saw a lot.  I also have a MS362C and its a screamer but much heavier than my MS251.  I have an 18" bar on the MS251 and the only thing I did is switch from the green anti-kickback chain to the "yellow" stihl chain.  It is a .325 pitch, .050 RS63 Stihl Chain.  Really cuts nice.  This saw runs great.  My brother in law has the MS250 and he likes it too.  I can tell you that the  Stihl dealers I talk to around my area both stock and sell a lot of MS251's and MS250's.  They're reliable, light, and not outrageously expensive.   I have no experience with the MS211.   If your buddy wants a light, nimble and reliable saw I would highly recommend the MS251.  Remember though, that this saw is a mid level saw its not a pro-saw but I have cut big wood with this little saw and it really has been an excellent saw.  I cut approximately 15-20 face cord of wood a year.  
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

Thank You Sponsors!