iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New LT40H owner

Started by CharlieA, March 02, 2012, 11:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieA

Hello,

I have been reading the forum for a few months now, eagerly awaiting the delivery of my mill to the BC Woodmizer Dealer.

Well, today was the day!  I drove out yesterday and stayed the night to get to the dealer in the morning for an orientation.  Great service and people BTW...

After a few hours of going over the mill, I made the 5 hr drive back home.  About an hour from home, it was dumping snow real hard, which made the drive a little messy.

I am really excited to be the owner of this mill!  Its great.  The wife is really excited to get going on milling some poplar for our projects... (Hen house, Barn etc...)

Once the snow stops, (were forecast about 30cm over the next couple days) I will unwrap it and take some pictures...

Thanks for letting me share...

I have learned a lot from this forum, it is a great resource...
Good, Fast, Cheap... Pick 2.

Okrafarmer

Good to meet you, Charlie! Can't wait to see what you do with your mill. Sounds like you live out in the woods? I wish I did.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

JSR

Welcome CharlieA to the FF. An exciting time, starting out with a new mill. You chose a great company to work with. These machines mill better , more precise lumber than one could imagine. Best of luck and have fun.
LT70HD62, WM edger. Love Lumber.

Bill Gaiche

Welcome and cograts on the new mill. ill be glad to see some photos of the mill and projects. bg

sawmillhand

welcome   glad to hear you will be enjoying that nice machine. i was really excited when i got my lt40h mill it wasnt brand new but it was new to me. So far i have been really happy with mine. Good Luck and Happy Sawing. 8) 8) 8)
1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

Magicman

Thank you for sharing your wonderful news and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, CharlieA.  Where in BC.  I have driven from top to bottom, but of course not everywhere.  That is a very large Province.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Charlie!

It's a great place to learn and meet some really great people.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ohio_Bill

Welcome Charlie, Congratulations on the new Mill. IMO sounds like you started out right with a hydraulic mill; it took me 12 years and 3 mills to get there. Please share some pictures when the snow goes away.

Happy Milling

Bill
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

thecfarm

Charlie jumps right in with new brand new LT40H. Super nice!!!! Welcome to the forum.  What kind of wood will you be sawing? Been around a mill before? Must have equipment to get the logs out.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF Charlie!  Got yourself a fine mill. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

JohnM

<----- is jealous.  ;)  Congrats!
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

CharlieA

Thanks for the welcome people!

My wife and kids moved to the Cariboo region of BC recently from the Coast.

We have a mix of Fir/Spruce (Beetles got the Pine) and Poplar.  I will use the Poplar for siding, interior paneling etc...  I will leave the softwood alone for a generation so the kids can have decent wood.

I have a Loader/Backhoe with forks so moving logs isn't much of an issue.  Plus my neighbor has a skidder if need be  ;D

No previous experience on mills, but equipment in general. I'm a quick study. :)

Magicman

I take it that you are West of Williams Lake?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bandmill Bandit

Hey Charlie
Welcome to the forum. Where you at up there in some of Gods best country?

Marv and the crew will treat you good and help where needed with your mill.

Congrats and good luck on your new venture.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

John_Haylow

Congratulations on your new mill Charlie, you made a good choice and great folks to deal with. Welcome to the forum you will like it here. As Bill said we like pictures.
John

2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. Don't forget that you are not a true sawyer till you cut your mill. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: customsawyer on March 03, 2012, 05:03:00 PM
Welcome to the forum. Don't forget that you are not a true sawyer till you cut your mill. ;D

STOP IT! Your scaring me!  smiley_grin_earmuff
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

CharlieA

Hello again!

Well, some time has passed and it seems spring has finally sprung.  Mud season is just about done.  The frost is finally out of the ground, and the water has somewhere to go... down!

I started to play around with my mill a bit on the weekend.  I chose a couple of decent sized Poplar to start with.  I have to say i wasn't all that happy with the wood.  The trees appeared OK on the outside, however when I bucked them to length, I found a bunch of rot in the heart.  I milled the outsides anyway and got some acceptable wood.

I dropped a fair sized Spruce and went to town on it.  Man, was I pleased with the outcome.  The lumber was gorgeous!  Now I am sizing up all the trees on my property much to my wife's dismay!

I took the quad into the bush and looked for decent standing dead Conifers.  I found about a dozen 12"+ and one that was easy 30" which got blown down on the corner of my land.  I am going to cut it up and haul it out next weekend.

I am addicted to my mill.  It does everything I need it to and more.  I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship!   :D

I will post some pics in the coming weeks.

Okrafarmer

Glad you're enjoying it, Charlie! Good to hear back from you.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Woodchuck53

Welcome aboard CharlieA. A new mill and hyd. to boot. Yep your ruint now. Just remember to talk about the missus as mush as you do the new toy and things will go a lot smoother.

Keep it clean, stay safe. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Magicman

Good to hear from you again Charlie and it sounds like you have been busy getting acquainted with your sawmill.  What are your lumber plans now?

rmack

Magicman;  I think the area west of Williams Lake is the Chilcotin. The Cariboo runs roughly from Cache Creek to Quesnel, and to the east of Williams Lake.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

CharlieA

Magicman,

I am currently in the process of buying about 25 m3 of mostly Fir, and Spruce. 

I"m going to saw enough siding for the cabin I built last year (which I currently live in) and pump-house, coop. barn etc...

I will kind of make it up as I go along. That plan has served me well so far lol.

The word is out now so the neighbors are starting to inquire...  With any luck I may make some money one day!

samandothers

Welcome and Congrats on the new toy...tool.   Look forward to the pictures.

Magicman

I never did see what model WM that you bought and if you are set up stationary or portable.  For me, being portable is more convenient for my customers not having to handle and transport logs.

Thank You Sponsors!