iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chain stretch

Started by oldsaw-addict, April 09, 2004, 08:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsaw-addict

Has anyone ever thought about how a chain stretches, and why it does? I just did a teardown of an old carlton chain to find out, I have some interesting results. the drive links have an oval wear pattern on the front link holes, while the rear hole is always a circular wear pattern, plus the rivet is worn in a similar fashion, and the chain was originaly a .370 pitch LP chain, it is currently a .380 pitch chain due to stretching of the tie straps and all other chain components. Interesting isnt it? I just thought you might be interested in why chains "stretch" like they do, plus with insufficient lube a chain is basically ruined even if that lube deficiency is only for 30 minutes with 20 of them being the saw at idle, and the other 10 cutting. I compared it to a NEW chain of equal style and pitch so the results are consistant, and the chain brand was the same too. Well, I've just spent a little time to make the issue more easily addressed.I hope you learned a little something from this, even if you didnt I did after takin a chain apart to get the data.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Mark M

That's why I always reverse my chains every now and then.

Mark

redpowerd

i like to run mine backwards too, mark ;)
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

chet

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

redpowerd

i find i throw teeth before the chain streches enough to mess with the sprok or the nose. i know if ive been runnin a streched chain, the nose shows it before the sprok does
rails get flat!
right there at the tip
chain on,
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Mark M

I went down at the TSC store the other day and every saw they had on display had the chain on backwards. I told them about it but I don't think they thought I knew what I was talking about.

J_T

S P those are for unsawing logs that have been cut to short :D :D
Jim Holloway

redpowerd

mark should have tested them saws and got sumkinda discount

sell them on ebay

norm, the spacebar is stickin...... :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

travelr64

I've found that when ya turn the chain around, it cuts better if ya turn the saw upside down.

8) Coop
""Now look what you've gotten us into ! ! !

Danny_S

File down the cutters to 20 thou and sharpen up the rakers.. ;D

Boy oh boy does this guy --->  ;D ever have a bad buck-tooth.
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

oldsaw-addict

Oh great, I just opened up a big can o worms :D keep goin this is funny, I'm enjoyin it and the forum is a little bit brighter.

Frickman

I've seen saws at Lowe's with the chains on backwards. A tag on the shelf read "Assembly of saw available for $15.00." I wonder what they would charge to put the chain on right?

If a guy bought a saw from a place like that, imagine going back for routine service. We have a TSC a few miles down the road. I needed a 2" ball for a truck trailer hitch in a hurry. Noone in the whole store had a clue of what I was talking about. I don't think I'll ever go back.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

SasquatchMan

:D :D  More than one reason to shop in specialty stores.  Plumbing parts are another great mystifier in the hardware chains... "You want a WHAT?  Nah, I don't think we have that."  
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Hunter

LOL, just cause you guys mentioned it, I went to my TSC and took a look at there saws, Wouldnt you know it, 3 of the 4 had chains on backwards.

I was laughing pretty hard. The clerk asked me what was so funny, and I told her, she then began to smile and explain a customer had returned one cause it would not cut.
LOL she pulled it out of the back room and wouldnt you know, the chain was on backwards. It was really tweaked. Had a few of the cutter broke off.

I just kept laughing, couldnt help myself.
Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

redpowerd

:D :D :D
i was gunna ask what tsc was, now i dont care!
 :D :D :D

ive seen a kid re-install a chain backwards, then burned a tank before tossin the chain again. we were laughing so hard i allmost fell off the truck :D

i know, i know, for saftey sake we(four of us) should have stopped him. he was wearing gear.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Mark M

TSC is the Tractor Supply Store (I think the C is company). We have a good one here and I like going there. They can help you select a good lasso, set of spurs, bull shocker, or even a saddle; but when I comes to chainsaws they are a little weak. Might be because we don't have any TREES!

Hey Oldsaw-Addict, how many saws do you have and what do you use em for? Just curious.

Mark

oldsaw-addict

In response to the question of how many saws I have, I have about 3 at any given time, a McCulloch powermac 310 for fun, a Homedelight 330 for limbing and just plain playing around and soon a Stihl 075 for all the regular duty cutting. I use my saws for EVERYTHING from mowin the lawn to turning on the TV sometimes. The 330 is NICE for them big weeds I cant get with a mower.If I keep working on it, I MAY be able to find the parts for a whole Eager Beaver 2.0 chainsaw to trim with, they are AMAZING saws, no antivibe on em' but the power is either close to or better than a new MS200 top handle saw. I LOVE the older Mac saws for the sound anyways, its just a distinctive and american sound. I just might get a PP7900 soon for a primary saw at which time the 075 will become the backup saw, and I'll mill lumber for fun and as a hobby. right now I just have the time between all the things I'm doing on my PC and the truck, which BTW really is a pile O crap, that I just rebuild saws for fun.

Mark M

My Grandpa used to have a Mac Super 33. Man I hated that thing! It was a gear drive saw that was slow and heavy. When I was about 16 my dad and uncle and I got a 30 cord contract for pulpwood from Boise Cascade (back then they would give small contracts for people who just wanted to do a little part time logging). We used that Super 33 and a little Homo-light 150XL (I think) to do the cutting and a 1927 John Deere GP tractor to skid about 1/4 mile. If we could process 3 or 4 trees a day we were doing good and when it was all said and done we were $100 bucks in the whole.

jokers

Jeez Mark,

Three of you guys had all that fun and it only cost you a hundred bucks? That`s a pretty good deal!

I`m thinking of opening a "logger`s" camp, kind of like a summer sports camp for kids, only this will be for adults who wanna fell some timber. I think I`ll charge $50/day and I`ll provide the PPE. Do you think it will fly? LOL.

Russ

beenthere

jokers
Maybe you could think of working that idea into next years' 'piggy roast' and arrange for an extra two-three days to put on your clinic (probably get some volunteers to help, and am sure you would get lots of extra advice and opinions  ;D).  

Your 'camp' may drum up a lot of business, and $50 per day doesn't sound unreasonable to me.     Could even add some horse logging, and skidding techniques, and ATV hauling, etc. etc. etc. Where would it end?  Running the logs through a sawmill, stacking lumber for air drying, kiln drying, then planing (throw in some grading there), moulding, and then turning, cabinet-making, shop techniques, finishing, marketing and ?? ??  

Would that be about a three month camp?  How many can you handle at a time?   ???
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jokers

beenthere,
Now you`re thinking!

I also just got the idea for a sawracer`s clinic where you have all the trainees cut hardwood into 16" lengths and then split it and stack it in the shed after their practice. I chose hardwood because it`s much less forgiving of operator error and the splitting/stacking is so that we leave the practice area clean for tomorrow and it builds the proper muscles for racing.  ;D

Actually I think I may have stolen this idea from Mike Maas, LOL.

Russ

Mark M

Hey Russ that sound like a couple of pretty good ideas, in fact I might cabage on to that second one. I was thinking of setting up a weenie cart out front the next time I run the sawmill. That way I can sell weenies to the people who come to watch me saw. ;D

OneWithWood

I hate to go back to the original topic 'cause we're having such great fun on this side track. .. but. . .

Do any of you actually loosen the chain at the end of the day or if the saw is going to set a spell to keep the hot chain from stretching as it cools?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

jokers

Hi OneWithWood,

I always de-tension the chain at the end of the day but it`s not too prevent chain stretch, is to prevent crank seal distortion from the resultant crank deflection applied over a long period of time as the chain contracts.

Russ

rahtreelimbs

QuoteHi OneWithWood,

I always de-tension the chain at the end of the day but it`s not too prevent chain stretch, is to prevent crank seal distortion from the resultant crank deflection applied over a long period of time as the chain contracts.

Russ

Glad to see that somone else does that. I also case all my saws. 8)
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

Thank You Sponsors!