iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1984-ish Sachs Dolmar 133 no spark...

Started by thedoublejranch, October 28, 2017, 12:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedoublejranch

OK, a good pal had ask me to just check for spark. I took it home, zilch, dead. Pulled flywheel off, a Bosch system, solid state. Module failure is common. No longer available. Non to be found anywhere in the world. Bosch has quit making parts long ago. I find a Stihl 070/090 ign system, I bought from China, hey, I need to do something. OK, looks the same set up. It gets here finally, too big. Scrap that idea. Hey, was good looking quality and under $15 for coil, module and breaker plate.

So I used a small electronic device called a NOVAII, its designed to convert old points system to solid state. I figured, it will work on solid state too. I was right. I put this in and a saw that hasn't run in over 10 years, a single pull and it came to life.

So if anyone has an old saw with ign parts also made from unobtanium, this set up is better than scrapping it.

https://www.rotarycorp.com/product/8786

Figured I'd share. If you type in NOVAII in a search engine, it shows up. Got mine from amazon. I'm not a spammer, a genuine timber farmer/owner.  ;)
The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm.
Member "NWOA" National Woodland Owners Association"

dougand3

Thanks for the info. The 2 Nova II leads just attach to coil mounting bolts?
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

thedoublejranch

Quote from: dougand3 on October 28, 2017, 11:35:49 AM
Thanks for the info. The 2 Nova II leads just attach to coil mounting bolts?
Maybe, if you replace old points, lead from coil hooks to kill wire and to the + side of the module. The - side goes to a ground or coil mount. I assume a ground anywhere that ties to the coil. I would assume as close to the coil as possible is best. I mounted mine on one of the old electronic module mounts, all tucked under the flywheel. The saw has no extra free space elsewhere. I would like to have had it in the airflow, but not possible.

On the Sachs Dolmar 133, I just removed the old electronic module (under the flywheel next to the coil), kept the original Bosch coil in place, hooked the wires up, and had spark. If it didnt produce spark, the kit said to reverse the wires to the module (positive ground)

I set the wire in place using RTV, this was just to keep the wires from moving and interfering with the flywheel. Kind of glued it all in place.

I might add, this is a smidge bigger than a dime, smaller than a nickel. About twice as thick as a nickel. Very small unit. So loads of mounting options.

I know Stihl no longer makes the ignition module for the 031AV saw and plenty of others that are no longer available. So this is a good item to have. I am going to buy another to just have on hand. 

This was a nice saw in premo shape. I just converted it from scrap metal back to a functional saw. No parts available anywhere, long since gone, or the ignition module assy anyway. I cant get over how heavy it is. Its a 20" bar, feels twice as heavy as my 20" 026AV. But its for a buddy, not me. I wouldnt want to haul this heavy lug around the woods.  :D

dconklin5421

JJ,

Is there any chance that you have pictures of how you hooked this fix up? I have bought the part and when I receive it I would like to know how to hook it up.

Thanks

thedoublejranch

No, but here is how I did it. I didnt have room outside the flywheel, so mounted the new one under it where the original CDI unit was. Removed original CDI unit, mounted the NOVAII unit, grounded the - terminal using one of the breaker plate screws. I mounted the NOVAII using a screw from the old CDI mount. The kill wire comes in, now hooks to the small primary coil wire and also hooks to the + wire to the NOVAII unit. I just used the supplied wire nut and wound them all together and real tight. To keep things from moving, I sealed it in place using some black RTV (room temp vulcanizing) sealer to lock it still. I wasnt worried about moisture, just more to keep it from moving. If you need to email me directly myusername@myusername.net

Are you working on a Sachs Dolmar too? Or something else?

dconklin5421

That is exactly what I did with mine. I was given a Sachs Dolmar 123 some years back I finally decided to see if I could get it to run.  I did buy the Nova II and I do have spark now, so I am getting there. I just need to get a gas cap/plug and then I can see if i can get it running.

Thanks

Dustin

Al_Smith

You have to remember that Sachs is 85 cc versus 49 cc for a Stihl 026 .It should weigh more

thedoublejranch

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 04, 2017, 05:26:38 PM
You have to remember that Sachs is 85 cc versus 49 cc for a Stihl 026 .It should weigh more

Yes, it has a 20" bar, same as my 026, so it threw me for a loop. My saw feels like half the weight. Owner actually wanted the shorter bar.

dconklin5421

I just wanted to give an update. I now have a running saw so you can count my saw as being saved by the NOVA II.   Thanks for your help.

Thank You Sponsors!