iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lap Siding

Started by Scottasheppard, June 18, 2018, 05:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scottasheppard

8)started sawing lap siding for a customer.. buddy of mine made this lap siding Jig for me. I call him Ninja Joe.. Check him out on YouTube  (josaljo won)

Aka Porkie

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

flatrock58

What width do you cut and what it the thickness on the big and small side?

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Stephen1

Very nice. What are the dimensions. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Lawg Dawg

I make a lot of lap siding, but I just cut 11/16" thick boards x 7 1/2" wide, leave 6" exposed.  This old sharecropper home I restored 6 years ago helped me build a buisiness, back then, sawing and selling lap siding.  I've almost cut all my lap siding pine trees on our 100 acres here in Jefferson, SC,  so now I'm transitioning to the live edge hardwood market.  I've actually had alot of people from around Edgefield, Chester, on up to Rockhill area come buy lap siding from me so you should do well with that product...Thanks Corey

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

bluthum

Ever since small band mills began to proliferate here [idk, maybe 25 years ago?] I've tried to interest people to make this product. I think it to be one of the highest uses for local syp. Never could get anyone interested. At the time woodmizer had an inexpensive if some what lame add on to make the wedge cut but it didn't seem like rocket surgery to figure out a jig set up, home made.

There is little interest in rustic siding here these days of any stripe which is silly to my taste/style. With proper building design and a skilled install any syp siding will last a good long while.

One note about longevity though is that for best result the log should be milled while as soon as possible, the finished product will last longer even if a bit harder to successfully dry. I did see alarge commercial mill years ago cutting cypress this way and they put 2 wedges together to make like one rectangular board as it was stickered. I can't say about the wisdom of that but it might dry with less waro loss than just single stacked wedge layers between stickers.

Anyway I'm pleased to see some people are making siding this style,dried and straight it is a carpenter's dream to install.

Scottasheppard

This is my 1st siding job.. 8" wide 1/2 On thick end 1/16 On thin
Aka Porkie

xlogger

I've had a few request for lap siding over the years. For you that saw a lot of pine what is the difference in prices on flat boards vs lp? Also always wonder how it dries when stack, I'm sure stacking two wedge boards together would mold.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: xlogger on June 20, 2018, 06:14:48 AM
I've had a few request for lap siding over the years. For you that saw a lot of pine what is the difference in prices on flat boards vs lp? Also always wonder how it dries when stack, I'm sure stacking two wedge boards together would mold.
I charge .35 per linear foot for the flat board siding. Only cut the tapered siding one time
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Scottasheppard

I have a manual mill $1.50 board foot plus  $1.00 each for stickers. Here are the siding jigs.

Aka Porkie

clintnelms

Quote from: Scottasheppard on June 18, 2018, 05:02:40 PM
8)started sawing lap siding for a customer.. buddy of mine made this lap siding Jig for me. I call him Ninja Joe.. Check him out on YouTube  (josaljo won)

I love watching Joe. Watch him all the time.

Alberta Wolf

Quote from: Scottasheppard on June 20, 2018, 01:43:55 PM
I have a manual mill $1.50 board foot plus  $1.00 each for stickers. Here are the siding jigs.

I would love to see some sketches on the sizes and then it give a better idea.If it isn't to much trouble ;) Also just wondering if a guy couldn't have 2 going at once,Just  ??? wondering.;I just remembered that attempting to make some cam lock for my manual instead of them screw types.I'm in the process but things get in way for I got so much to do and so little time to do so.But when I get them done I post it here ;) 

Scottasheppard

Contact at josaljo@frontiernet.net he made them. Aka Ninja joe
Aka Porkie

fishfighter

With my manual mill and sawing lap sides, I just use a couple wood blocks. I use the cant hook, lift, install a couple blocks. Make a pass and then remove the blocks. Then another pass, repeat.

These are live edge.

Thank You Sponsors!