iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie Needing Insight - Timber/Stumps/Reforestation

Started by obguwan, April 16, 2018, 06:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

obguwan

I am trying to help my Father with Selling Timber, Stumps, and Reforestation.  My father was approached by a company to purchase timber off of 20 plus acres of land in South Carolina.  Most of the trees consist of naturally grown pine trees at least 38 plus years old.  We really don't have use for the land so we are trying to get the most value out of it after selling off the timber.  I am 40 so I am looking into the possibilities of a Solar Energy Farm but Duke Energy Progressive hasn't engaged the area yet.  I don't know if I will see any benefits of reforestation so I am just trying to get the most value.

1. Are there any companies that look to buy pine stumps? Please provide names if possible.(This will assist with clearing the land I'm thinking)

2. Would stumps have to be removed for reforestation?

3. What is ideal to pay for land to be cleared and to be in condition to farm?

4.  Please share any insight you may have as I am new to this. 

Thanks!

mike_belben

I doubt anyone buys stumps.  Expect to spend a pretty penny having them popped out. 

Praise The Lord

Southside

Welcome to the Forum,

Any chance those are short leaf or long leaf pines?  You might be able to sell the stumps if they are and there is a turpentine plant within trucking distance.  I think there may still be one in Georgia, but honestly odds are that is a long shot.  

No need to get rid of the stumps to replant into timber, they will be gone on their own in 5 to 10 years.  As far as farming, well it depends on the soil type you have.  If you excavate them plan on a lot of soil inputs as you will disturb the soil profile for sure.  An option is to look at a forestry mulcher followed by a big, heavy off set disc to incorporate the trash into the soil.  Another alternative, cheaper, longer term, is to overseed the ground with annual forages such as clover, rye, crabgrass, disc it into the soil, and run cattle on it.  It won't be beautiful at first, and for a couple years it will be an ongoing project with more seeding,  but the cows will work the ground for you and in the end you will end up with the same results with a lot less money into it.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

nativewolf

A typical reforestation plan in your neck of the woods is to have the property harvested, then pine and burn the slash, then replant genetically improved pine seedlings, really not expensive to get planting of pine done in the SE.  Companies specialize in just that.  Your local community forestry extension agent is the person I would call for help getting everything done.

Most important, don't take that offer.  I'd hire a forester to manage putting your land out to bid, you'll make more even after paying him a commission.

Liking Walnut

forgeblast

You could also talk to your local ag department, they might do a walk through and tell you what would and would not work.  Most of the time its a free service.

mike_belben

From forest to cow lease to hay field seems the typical transition here.  The cow period is time for the stumps to weather away and get easier to push up, plus the manure richens the top soil.  Our soils arent too good for farming much but hay and beans. 
Praise The Lord

TKehl

Most value may be 5-10 acre wooded building sites, depending on your location.  But that would require selling the land....
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Thank You Sponsors!