iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

drying Dogwood

Started by xlogger, May 03, 2018, 08:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

Got a guy that wants to bring over some live edge dogwood slabs,  he said they were crotch cuts. I've not seen any dogwood myself that was big enough to make slabs. But who knows. He said that they are around 20% MC. Anyone dried dogwood before? He only has a few 4 ft slabs, wonder if I can just put them in with some maple that I just put in the kiln and they were around 20% also.

Or better yet maybe I should just send him to Scott :D
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Southside

If you do get them post a photo - I have never seen dogwood sawn.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Texas Ranger

I have worked dogwood, beautiful stuff, but sensitive to mold and such, tell your client you are not responsible for color change.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

xlogger

If he does bring them today wonder if I stand them up on a wall inside kiln. I hate to unload and re baffle the load again. If I do he going to pay extra. Also wonder what # on my Delmhorst should I use to test MC?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

K-Guy

Putting the dogwood in with the maple is no problem. If it is below 20%, mold shouldn't be a problem. 

If it barks, I recommend smacking it on the nose. :laugh:
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

xlogger

as long as it doesn't bite ;D

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

There might be something funny here, as the largest dogwood trees are seldom over 18" in diameter. For example, the single largest in Texas is about 22" in diameter.  Further, the height of dogwood is around 30 feet which means the lower section is fairly knotty.  Tension wood will be abundant.  Flat drying will be tough.  Cracking is likely.  Make sure your customer knows you will do the best, but wood quality may result in poor results. Maybe you need a partial payment up front.

In terms of drying, use the persimmon schedule.  For color, treat it like hard maple, not soft maple.  But, with crotch wood we have unusual shrinkage.

As far as the moisture meter, the species correction at low MC is very small with a pin meter.  I would use hard maple.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

kelLOGg

I air dried a dogwood black 6 x 6 x 30 (approx.) and splitting occurred fast. This one was cut about 1 to 2 years ago.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!