iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slabbing a large oak

Started by D6c, June 02, 2018, 08:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

Going to be slabbing a large burr oak (48 big end, 36 small end x 13 1/2')
Any recommendations on thickness or cut method?  I'd like to get some near center cuts with as much 1/4 saw figure as possible, but should I just flat saw through all of it?

Skipper11A

I don't know what kind of mill you have, I'm assuming a chainsaw mill.   With my bandsaw mill I would take at least a 9"(maybe a 12") slab right off the top.  Then I would flat cut the log into slabs until you have a 9"-12" slab on the bottom.  I would then quarter-saw the top and bottom slabs using the "reverse roll" method. 

scsmith42

If it's a grade log, why not quartersaw it instead of slabbing?  

You can mill three slabs from the center (capture the pith in the middle slab) that should have good ray fleck, and then process the two 1/3 log sections using Yellowhammers Reverse Roll method for maximum ray fleck.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sam-tip

Here are a few pictures.  Took about a 10 inches off the top then cut 3 inch thick slabs.  This bur oak was hard!    Been down I think 1.5 years. D&L mill.

<br 
<br

Central Boiler E3200 WiFi
Many many ported chainsaws. 201 to 3120
TM log splitter pro30 6 way head
D&L 1020 swing blade sawmill for slabbing
Timberking 1220

Joey Grimes

I just slabbed a similar size oak I like to increase 1" of thickness for every 12" in width a 36" wide slab 3" thick this ratio should give you enough thickness to retrue after it shrinks and cups.
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

John S

I am not familiar with D&L mills, went on their website but did not see anything relating to slabbers!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Thank You Sponsors!