iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

additional storage on tractor

Started by caveman, June 11, 2018, 11:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

I made use of some wasted space on my Kubota today.  It should be adequate to store a chain and some tools or trailer balls.  There is one on each side.  

This project began due to my reluctance to sand on the fiberglass repair that I made to a 45 y/o canoe.  It was only about 91° F with stifling humidity so I was really waiting for it to warm up to an infernal, blue blazes hot before went back out of the shop to work on the canoe.  Instead, it began to rain so I needed a project to occupy my time.

Anyway, this should work well and it can be opened without completely removing the wingnut. It was relatively simple and did not take much time.  I need to make a chainsaw holder eventually.

Caveman

PA_Walnut

Paint it Kubota orange and no-one will ever notice!  8)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

btulloh

Nice.  I'm going to borrow your idea if you don't mind.  Never enough places to store things on a tractor.
HM126

uplander

That is a good idea! I keep getting Wrens trying to nest in there during summer.
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

caveman

I will paint them orange but I did not want to paint while it was raining yesterday.  Also, You cannot see the backside of the plywood cover but it has a 4 7/8 circle attached 1 1/16" from the edge of the circular  part of the cover to index it in the hole (perfect circles cut on the table saw).  There is also a 3/8" spacer between the cover and the loader mount to allow the wingnut to get proper leverage to clamp it securely.

Btulloh- I posted it so someone else may benefit from the idea and most likely improve on it.  

Question-  Why do tractor manufacturers install such small tool boxes?  On my tractor I carry a chain or two, pipe wrench, ball peen hammer, channel locks, three trailer balls, pins, bolts, adjustable wrench, boy's ax, and a variety of miscellaneous small things.  Shutting the lid on the factory box is an impossibility.
Caveman

Crusarius

your lucky mine has no toolbox. There is also not a single spot that does not pass through to the ground. Other than the steps I have no place for anything. it is really annoying having to keep everything in the bucket. I can't tell you how many times I forgot stuff was in there when I went to move a pile of dirt.

Good idea on the storage. I kept trying to figure out how I could use those holes.

maple flats

My tractor also has no ready spot to store or mount a tool box and it came with none. The tractor has a cab and I seem to accumulate plenty of "extra's" on the floor and behind the seat. I'll look again and see if I find a similar option. I do not like tools just laying on the floor where they might interfere with any controls, but they are there. At most farm stores they sell after market tool boxes but I've not seen one yet that would easily fit my tractor.
On my old tractor which is now a single implement tractor I built a wooden tray about 3' x 2' that rested on the hood (compact diesel). It had one piece that had a half circle removed which slide to the steering column and then a strategically placed hole in the tray. I just removed the air breather, set the tray on and then inserted the breather tube thru the hole and back into the oil bath breather. That has worked well for 20+ years, my newer tractor would not work for something like that.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

btulloh

Quote from: caveman on June 12, 2018, 08:23:21 AMQuestion-  Why do tractor manufacturers install such small tool boxes?  On my tractor I carry a chain or two, pipe wrench, ball peen hammer, channel locks, three trailer balls, pins, bolts, adjustable wrench, boy's ax, and a variety of miscellaneous small things.  Shutting the lid on the factory box is an impossibility.

It must be a conspiracy because they all do it.  And we all need to carry a few things.  Your list sounds about right.  I've been putting a chain in the tool box, and that leads to all sorts of cluster issues.
HM126

caveman

Caveman

luvmexfood

This deserves a Forestry Forum Patent. :D
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

btulloh

Looks like a factory option now.  8)

I gotta say though, your tractor is way too shiny.
HM126

LaneC

Brilliant ;) Nice and simple design. Perfect.
Man makes plans and God smiles

samandothers

Caveman,
Is there a tube across the front of the loader (between the quick attachment and the grill)?  

Seems I remember reading where someone used that with PVC caps to make chain storage too.  Can't remember how the cap was fit to stay on.

PineNut

I needed a place to put a chain saw as well as other tools. This box while not large enough, it does help me a lot. If you didn't need the chainsaw, there would be more space for other tools. Note that there is an enclose part for the bar of the chain saw. Other tools just share space with the chain saw. The box made out of wood is mounted on some 1 inch square tubing and clamped to the roll bar. No holes were drilled in any part of the tractor.

I did see a tool box on a green tractor. It looked like a toy box on a thin piece of metal stuck up in the air on the left side of the tractor. In other words something stuck on the tractor as an afterthought.

thecfarm

This is my chainsaw holder. Took the idea from BillM. It's right where I can see it. Easy to take off on the ground too.

Than on the other side,chainsaw gas and oil.

Than on each side is the chainsaw wrench.

My other tractor I had a box behind the seat. This tractor,the fuel tank is behind the seat and can't have one too high,so I can see the draw bar when I hook up to the trailer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

caveman

Ray, I like your chainsaw and fluids holders.
Samandothers-  The front loader tube can hold 4" pvc, I don't remember if it needs to be ripped to fit but I have seen the ends plugged with rubber, expandable plugs (saw it first in Farmshow).
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!