iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD440B Skidder

Started by JJWorker, July 14, 2018, 08:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJWorker

Hello, I am new here and just bought got a 440b Skidder. When I first start it up it flinchs the steering cylinders a bit. Not a lot (few inches) could this come from the steering wheel being moved when it is not running? Also at times my brake pedal bounces sometimes. If I shut it down on a hill the hydraulics seem to take a few minutes to react properly?? Any thoughts???

Satamax

Hydraulic oil level low?  ;D
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

KyLogger

Welcome to the 440B.... Mine did the same.
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

mike_belben

My nasco forklift will bounce the brake pedal back up at you a while before it builds up brake pressure.  

You have a leak in the system letting it bleed down over night and take in air.
Praise The Lord

CX3

My 440 did the same thing. Never gave me any issues. 
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

snowstorm

teakwood

The 540 does that also, its normal.

I would never shut down these skidders in a hill! They loose brakes and steering if the motor isn't running, it's dangerous.  does your brake accumulator work?? Shut the machine off on brake a few times, you should be able to brake like ten times, then you loose brake pressure and the pedal goes soft.  I find that accumulator to be the most important piece on the machine, a lifesaver!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Cub

440A did the same thing. Start it and soon as there was hydro pressure the steering flinched a little bit and the brake pedal bouncing was a common thing also. 

KyLogger

Quote from: teakwood on July 16, 2018, 06:35:50 PM
The 540 does that also, its normal.

I would never shut down these skidders in a hill! They loose brakes and steering if the motor isn't running, it's dangerous.  does your brake accumulator work?? Shut the machine off on brake a few times, you should be able to brake like ten times, then you loose brake pressure and the pedal goes soft.  I find that accumulator to be the most important piece on the machine, a lifesaver!
Yeah! We work steep ground and my accumulator didn't work. All you could do when you lost hydraulics was grab the e-brake lever and pray! We always would back close to a tree when setting up to winch on a hillside, and the choker setter never got behind the machine until it was.
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

Thank You Sponsors!