iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Favorite Poverty Meal?

Started by No_Dude, August 07, 2018, 12:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TKehl

Pea porridge is pretty good.  Hard peas, onions, and sausage.  Boil then simmer down to a paste.  Actually pretty good.  ;)

Frequent fare is Hamburger helper with double the noodles plus onions, beans, and anything out of the garden to stretch it to feed 6.  Plain for the kids and extra spices for the wifey and me.  ;D

Figured out a dozen+ ways to flavor a baked potato in college.

Growing up, we always had beef and pork in the freezer.  Bologna from the store was a treat!  :D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

pineywoods

I can't believe nobody has mentioned baked sweet taters. Fresh out of the oven, topped with fresh home-made butter..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

mike_belben

My wife just fried some bacon with onions and a plop of butter, then shovelled some shredded cabbage in to simmer in the juice with a little oil and salt/pepper.  This is crazy but i think it was one of the best things i ever ate in my life.  I dont even really like cabbage, boiled atleast.
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

Try cutting a pack of good beef hot dogs cross ways into cubes and fry in the bacon grease before adding the cabbage and you will like it even better.  digin1
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Raider Bill

Throw a chopped up apple in with the cabbage
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

mike_belben

Oh ...my mouth is watering now boy
Praise The Lord

curved-wood

Yesterday we had chanterelle (wild mushroom) pasta. The wild mushrooms are fried in butter with garlic and parsley from the garden. That's cheap but tasty . When I was a student we were eating spagetti with just melted butter. With age I added  a quite a bit of taste for about the same price...took me some 40 years to make the change...I am a slow guy ;)

Stihlman

Surprised that nobody mentioned Kluub ( Potatoe dumplings). Garden potatoes ground up mixed with flour into a ball and boiled in seasoned water. Next meal sliced and fried in a cast iron pan with grease or butter served with butter or if lucky bacon grease. food1

bigred1951

I've never eat it but I've heard older folks talk about picking a bunch of dandelions from the yard then batter them up and fry them. Heard they was good just never tried it.

Roxie

Dandelion greens are close in taste to collards.  My grandfather would eat a big bowl of collard greens when they were boiled in ham water left over from processing ham.  If there was no ham 'broth' they were just fried with lard on the cook stove. 

My grandchildren have helped me pick dandelion greens and cut them up into our salad.  :)

Say when

mike_belben

I just planted collards yesterday actually.  
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

dandelion greens, something that I did not have to eat growing up. Spring time fare was on the table,most time salt pork was added to them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

Another one we had was pasta and egg.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

No_Dude

So do you take the flowers from the Dandelions or ???

thecfarm

No flowers. But the wife makes a tasty dandelions jelly from the flowers.
The dandelions are picked long before the flowers come. You want to pick the greens early. Kinda like alot of that stuff,harvest them when they are just starting to grow. Tender and taste good. Or so I was told.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Engineer

This time of the year, poverty meals are easy.  Anything we can scrounge from the garden, cut up into a big bowl, mixed with cubed chicken.  Can feed 4 for less than $3.  Sometimes all it takes is two slices of bread, some Miracle Whip and a beefsteak tomato and you got a nearly free meal.

Some things are always cheap and are staples in my house.  Rice, potatoes, onions and cabbage for veggies, chicken and pork for meats, and you can bake your own bread for pennies.  We buy bulk pasta too, usually less than 75 cents a pound.  Local restaurant supply carries boneless chicken for $1.49 a lb all the time, same with whole pork loin.  We can or freeze some things like applesauce and tomato sauce but not consistently.  The "poverty" foods that some folks mention like hamburger, hot dogs, canned soup, saltines, etc. - those are not really cheap when you consider price per lb. 

Just Right

Quote from: Engineer on August 22, 2018, 01:56:52 PM
  Sometimes all it takes is two slices of bread, some Miracle Whip and a beefsteak tomato and you got a nearly free meal.
I am with you on a good ole 'Mater samich.  Don't forget the salt and pepper.  But if you need me to send you some Duke's mayo I will.  The thought of Miracle Whip ruining it,  NOBODY should have to live like that! :D  We had a wind storm last week and it got our tomato plants.  Plant to big and sticks too thin.  So our tomato season got shortened.
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

Al_Smith

Quote from: Southside logger on August 07, 2018, 09:20:04 AM
Red tailed hawk, Spotted Owl being a white meat just gets old after a while.   :D
Speaking which and which I'd never eat ,red tail or owl  .Yesterday morning I had one,red tail  snatch and dine on a squirrel about 100 feet from the house .It was so large I almost mistook it for an eagle of which believe it or we also have ,corn fields or not .Huge hawk 

olcowhand

Engineer,
I agree a lot regarding most of your post, but most of the Dogs and burger in my freezer are either home grown beef, pork or venison.
As for garden "Poverty" meals, I'm 100% in agreement. I still will go to the garden and pick a "Mess" (remind our southern brothers of a song about Poke Salad?) of Swiss Chard and just have that, with a little garlic or onion simmered down with it- and some butter on top. And Swiss Chard will simmer down! you can stack a 12" Skillet as high as it will stay, and not get enough to fill a plate (or an empty belly, sometimes), but every bite is good!
Thanks for reminding us that many of our best poverty meals are in our own back yards.
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

mike_belben

Ive never had swiss chard but almost planted it last week.  Seeds were from 2014 so i tossed em.  Put in collards, beets and buttercrunch lettuce instead.  

The pokeweed all got harvested for a new lasagna bed.
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

swiss chard is a good poverty plant too. Cut it and it grows back. I had a couple plants that came back this spring too.

No_Dude

Must be a northern green? never heard of chards at all

Ianab

This is something we used to eat all the time growing up on the farm. 
Watercress. 
I found the "mother lode" of it today  :D

Back home for lunch. Cheese, marmite and watercress sammies  8)

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Texas Ranger

We would collect watercress when trout fishing in cold running streams, I was always concerned about the white wiggles that were in it, Dad said just protein.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

LittleJohn

Cream of Mushroom soup over toast, was always a staple when younger.

...now that the wife can't stand the texture/taste of mushroom :(

Thank You Sponsors!