iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lifting tongs

Started by burtle, September 10, 2018, 12:14:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burtle

Can anyone suggest a good set of lifting tongs? Tongs that will handle logs up to 36" in diameter
Never Give Up

firefighter ontheside

I would recommend mine, but I don't know where they came from.  I like them because they have a swivel and a chain hook at the end instead of a loop like my other set.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Southside

A friend with a tree service has two pair, both custom made, cost $400 or so per pair and worth every penny.  For that size you may want to talk to a fab shop.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

When you said "lifting" and 36" you stepped up into the big boy britches category.  25" will be in the ~$300(+) range but a quality 36" is a bit higher:  LINK

Don't even think about Roughneck or anything from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company.

The tongs that firefighter ontheside linked to above are skidding tongs, not lifting tongs. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Magicman is right.  I have never dropped a 36" log, but I have had some 12"-20" rotten pine break off in my feller buncher and fall from 10-20'. I have lost some out of the head that were 24"-25" at the very bottom.   Mind you - my buncher is armored and weighs 48,000 lbs - when those "little" pine logs have struck the buncher it has rocked it like a Tonka toy, to the point where tires have come off the ground.  

You can not take any short cuts when lifting logs that size - they will kill you without hesitation or remorse.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Use regular tongs with a cable basket underneath.  Hook the cable eyes onto the tong tabs.  Or use chain with slider hooks and latches.

Tonging a big piece of wood is just begging to tear it apart and sacrifice footage.
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Here's an take a large set of tongs add some teeth inside the jaws and cut the bottom tooth off each side like a set of yarder grapples.

GAB

Quote from: burtle on September 10, 2018, 12:14:38 AM

Can anyone suggest a good set of lifting tongs? Tongs that will handle logs up to 36" in diameter
I would suggest talking to Kevin @ Logrite.
That is who I purchased mine from.
Please note that the ones I purchased will not do a 36" log.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

Copied from the Logrite site regarding their 16" skidding tongs:

Dixie skidding tongs are the finest tongs money can buy and are made in the USA, which is why we use them on our log arches.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

goober

Oshkosh tools makes logging tongs   they have a web sight .Oshkoshtools.com
lt15 woodmizergo case 480 lbh 574 ih tractor   ih-4500a forklift  woodmaxx chipper saxdolmer saws

Magicman

barbender

From what I recall from a little time log building, actual rated lifting (not skidding) tongs are really expensive, and ones big enough to get around a 36" log would be really, really expensive. Unless you are lifting a steady diet of big logs, I would get some load slings for the big dogs and get a set of tongs for the more normal sized logs.
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

One other thing to consider too is that each size set has a working range.  The big ones don't do a great job with smaller logs, the geometry just does not work out well, and of course the small ones can't do stuff that is physically too large.  So you really need to know what you will be handling and make a contingency plan for the other not typical stuff.  Barbender had a great suggestion there that solves the problem and saves money.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

Skeans1,don't see tongs like that in Maine much. ;D  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Those are PNW atv tongs.  You should see what they run on the big equipment. 

;D
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

I'd like to see a picture of a PNW atv.  :D  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Skeans1

Quote from: thecfarm on September 13, 2018, 09:14:12 AM
Skeans1,don't see tongs like that in Maine much. ;D  :o
Tongs? Those are grapples you can load with them. Tongs out here you will see get tossed with redneck fly fishing basically.

thecfarm

Quote from: Skeans1 on September 12, 2018, 08:39:09 AM
Here's an take a large set of tongs add some teeth inside the jaws and cut the bottom tooth off each side like a set of yarder grapples.

I thought you called them tongs too?

Skeans1

Those are cable yarder grapples, most of the time if you tongs or tonging it's for the guys tossing which to me doesn't sounds like a fun place to be in the brush under.

Magicman

Use the PNW tongs with this log arch.

Gotta match the equipment to the job.  :)

barbender

I first read about pitching tongs in a magazine, I thought, "no way!" until I watched some videos of it. Kinda crazy!

Skeans1

Quote from: barbender on September 13, 2018, 11:31:24 PM
I first read about pitching tongs in a magazine, I thought, "no way!" until I watched some videos of it. Kinda crazy!
I remember being a kid and seeing it at a logging show the guy put a bucket out at 250 and was able to hit it that's how accurate the guys are with them.

barbender

Truly amazing! I feel good when I can get my fly to hit the water flyfishing😁

Thank You Sponsors!