iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What woods can be dried together?

Started by Brad_bb, October 28, 2018, 01:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

One kiln owner I know refers to a sheet about drying wood that I think shows him which woods can be dried together.  He has a Nyle kiln, so I'm wondering if it's a Nyle document.  

I'm wondering for my own knowledge and because I'd like to keep those wood types together.  I have mostly Ash and Walnut.  I know Oak is unique to itself and I will have more oak later.
thanks, Brad_bb
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

See DRYING HARDWOOD LUMBER, pages 81-84.  For each schedule, there is a list of similar species.  This and DRYING EASTERN HARDWOOD LUMBER have the same info. 
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Brad_bb

Where do I see that?  Is it a book?  Is is on the internet?  

Brad_bb

OK, I found it.  It's in the sticky topics at the top of "Drying and Processing"  in "Kiln Operation Manuals".

K-Guy

Hi Brad
If your friend has a Nyle kiln, there is a page in the manual for the smaller kilns that has that information. ;D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Brad_bb

The "Drying Hardwood lumber" sticky post is no longer there.  Is it still around?  I want to look at what woods can be dried together.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brad_bb

Catalpa is not in the drying schedules.  Anybody know if this can be dried with something else?  I have a large trunk that I slabbed 2.75" thick.  They've air dried for probably 5 years.  Catalpa is a surprisingly light weight wood.

Ianab

If it's well air dried I dont think you can really mess it up, any sensible setting should be fine for final drying and sterilisation ???  It's early on in the drying that you can create problems.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

K-Guy

Ianab is right if you are under 25% for any wood but if you ever want to dry it from above 25%, then dry it as you would a soft maple and you should be fine.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!