iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack

Started by Autocar, November 16, 2018, 05:19:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

I always read post on the forum about how easy it was to work of a timberjacks . I always wanted one so when a chance came around I bought one. So far everything Ive done as far as repairs it is like pulling teeth out of a grizzly bear  :D On my grapple skidder you need a sky hook to work on alot of things but this timberjack everything is cramped into tight places or theres plate iron blocking the way. I am getting everything I go after but it sure seems like things are tuff to get to. Guess I whined enough for one day  ;).
Bill

Maine logger88

There easy to work on as far as simplicity and parts avalibillity. But you are right they arent very accesible to get to some things. 
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Dave Shepard

I felt that the 208 I worked on was unnecessarily cramped to work on. I was very close to cutting windows in the belly pan and making plates to go over the holes.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Frozendozer

lol   being 5'7" and 170lbs I could pretty much crawl inside my  machine 

barbender

I remember working on a starter on a 3-53 Detroit in an old Jack. I have faint and yet unpleasant memories of scraped, bruised knuckles and lots of ratchet extensions👎
Too many irons in the fire

Dave Shepard

The starter is why I wanted to cut a window in the frame. The 3-53 uses six and twelve point bolts. I think there is a custom shaped wrench left from that job. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

GRANITEstateMP

Hey, I got a custom 3-53 starter wrench in my toolbox too :laugh:
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

mike_belben

My custom wrench has 2 hoses and 4 different sized tips.  

I look at it as finishing the job that the factory forgot to do because they hire engineers out of schools instead of cultivating them off the assembly/repair floor like they should.  

If you havent fixed iron you shouldnt be designing it for someone else to struggle against while the bills pile up.  Life is hard enough without any extra "why the *#$@ did they build it like this!!?1!" problems. 
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Quote from: mike_belben on November 17, 2018, 02:15:02 PM
My custom wrench has 2 hoses and 4 different sized tips.  

I look at it as finishing the job that the factory forgot to do because they hire engineers out of schools instead of cultivating them off the assembly/repair floor like they should.  

If you havent fixed iron you shouldnt be designing it for someone else to struggle against while the bills pile up.  Life is hard enough without any extra "why the *#$@ did they build it like this!!?1!" problems.
I totally agree! 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Maine logger88

Snap on swivel extensions work awesome for the back tj starter bolt

Fether Hardwoods

Sure Autocar, post this today. I just bought a 240 E yesterday.  :D

Autocar

Well be prepared for a few bust knuckles  :D All joking aside busted knuckles are part of the logging life and life is good !  ;)
Bill

Fether Hardwoods

I already have the busted knuckles. I own another skidder :D. Up here we are needing more of that life you're talking about, to much mud right now.

bushmechanic

After working on most brands out there...Timberjack is really not that bad!

Nemologger

As far as parts availability not that good either. Heard people say Napa would carry any part you'd need for a jack. Walk in and lay a planetary or reverse box on the counter see how fast they go to the back and walk back up with one. Those old Jack's were great in there day. But major parts haven't been made in years. You'll be calling a salvage yard and if they do have it, it will be about like the one you already have.
Clean and Sober

Maine logger88

Thats because you dont have harrolds logging in MO. Walk in there and ask for almost anything for a jack and he's got it. 

Flyingpig

They're a good machine for mechanics and millwrights and guys who can think outside the box. There isn't much to them and what is there can be replaced with something from a different machine or even a part from a machine with a different application etc. Transmissions, engines, etc. Finals and diffs you need to pay attention to, the gears may be tough to replace but bearing and seal suppliers should be able to get stuff to rebuild them as long as you don't grenade them. So if caught early they shouldn't be a problem. 

David-L

The way I see it is alot of these old Jacks are making paychecks still and don't cost an arm and a leg to fix. Say that about other skidders that old. 
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

mike_belben

What about keeping clark skidders alive?  

During my scrap years clark michigan hough wheel loaders were a dime a dozen and plentiful, seemed like a lot of parts changed over between the two.  Am i wrong? 
Praise The Lord

Fether Hardwoods

My other skidder is a clark, they aren't too bad to work on. Parts have been available also. I don't know about parts fitting in a Timberjack though.

mike_belben

Nah i just meant clark to clark.. Not grafting clark stuff into jacks.  Thanks though.  Glad to hear
Praise The Lord

kiko

In certain applications some transmission parts are interchangable between Clark and Timberjack. Different versions of the same transmission.  Clark had a divorced convertor, Jack did not.

Thank You Sponsors!