iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ID this hydraulic pump

Started by mjeselskis, October 02, 2013, 08:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjeselskis

I got this hydraulic pump in a package deal and it's been sitting around the garage. It came off from a garbage truck. I believe it was mounted on the front bumper, maybe a direct drive from the crankshaft. I have no idea what it is for pressure or flow, but I'm trying to figure out if it could be used for a homemade firewood processor. Anybody know roughly what it may be for pressure/flow?

2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

SPIKER

There should be an ID plate on it somewhere.   Pumps are pretty hard to ID otherwise as they are all build very similar.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

JDeere

I would take it to a hydraulic shop to see it they could ID it. There is one in Portland where I have found them to be very experienced with pumps, etc.
www.brooklinemachine.com 
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

Morewood

Looks like a "Commercial  Shearing " pump . ID # or tag stamped on edge of flange ? If no information and you "must know " output flow . You can measure the width of the casting that the hoses are bolted to and the diameter of the gears in that section . You must disassemble to measure gear (dia X width) or guess it .
Then use charts in hydraulic books such as "Womack Fluid Power data handbook" to figure displacement measured in "  cu in per/ rev " then X rpm of engine or motor to get gpm .
Pressure is a result of the restriction to flow . the higher the operating pressure the more horsepower required.
That looks like a older commercial brand , due to the old reusable fittings on the hoses . Back then a pump like that may have been rated around 2000 or 2400 psi. max and was best to run at a working pressure around 1600 or 1800 psi. 
And this is IMO based on one photo. Google is your friend ! Frank
2008 Cooks AC3651 perkins diesel , JD 310C w/forks and thumb , International 8000 Dump truck , 16 ton trailer , and all the accessories .

Al_Smith

Commercial Shearing is one high priced pump .They were used by companys such as Pitman on line trucks .Seals bearings etc are high priced for repair parts .Typical of most German made products the design is for all OEM parts .

I once rebuilt a line truck pump which was either a double or a triple at around 36 GPM .It took over 3 weeks just to get the seals .The boss was not happy .

thecfarm

Don't know nothing about Commercial Shearing hyd pump. But is that the type of pump that will last 2-3 times longer than a common pump?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

I imagine the OP could use it for a proccessor but keep in mind that thing drove off the front of probabley a big diesel engine .It will require some power to drive it at full output .

Weekend_Sawyer

I made a log splitter back in the 90's from one of those pumps.
I can't remember the specifics' now but I ran it off of a riding lawnmower engine.
I couldn't direct drive it so I put a double pulley on the engine and pump and had to put  a large pulley on one end. Sorry I am not exactly sure but I think the large pulley went on the pump side and it was 10". The cycle time was not great but it would split anything and cut right through knots.

Anyway basically I'm saying, yup it'll work with a little work.
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

mjeselskis

I managed to read the numbers off the tag. It is a Commercial pump, model # M37X429BART25-11.

I'm still striking out finding specs on it, even with the model number.

I see most people use multi-stage, or multi-section pumps for processors. Is there an advantage for that over using a pump like this?

Al_Smith

The advantage of using doubles or triples is basically you have in essence several sources of power .Independant from one to another .

Like for example a line truck .You might have boom controls on one section of the pump and the digger head (Auger ) on another and the winch on a third .

Now this is not saying you couldn't use a single pump with flow control divider valves .There's lots of ways to skin the same cat so to speak .

mjeselskis

Does anyone have a book or any resources to find specs on the pump?

I think this is a gear pump. What wears out on them when they go? Just seals?

Al_Smith

The better built models have a wear plate on the sides of the gears .I wouldn't get too concerned  about it because they last for a long time .

For that matter for what it would cost to rebuild that pump you could likely buy a brand new one from some place like Surplus center hydraulics .

Morewood

The best spliter pumps are hi-low style . You can use low hp engines 10 -20 hp and get high pressure.
The hi-low lets you have high volume at a low pressure for fast cycle times then when you hit some resistance it drops down to low volume at high pressure to do the work at a slower speed.
2008 Cooks AC3651 perkins diesel , JD 310C w/forks and thumb , International 8000 Dump truck , 16 ton trailer , and all the accessories .

North River Energy

The following schematic is for a Commercial brand, two section stack pump on a Case excavator.  Layout is similar to other gear pumps I have had apart.   

The front section now drives the saw motor on the processor.  The cracked second section was removed and the pump reassembled with shorter tie bolts.  If memory serves, the new O-rings and related seals were fairly inexpensive.

Hitch up your suspenders and take a run at it.  Keep everything as clean as possible, and take photos of the order of things.  Take a measure of the gear length and diameter, give those measurements to any qualified hydraulics shop, and they should be able to tell you volume/rev.  If you have a means of measuring the bores, they should also be able to provide min/max wear dimensions for the housing.

DDDfarmer

Took a short hydraulic course with Rexroth/bosch,  too much info to soak in.  Most pumps have a tolerance around 10 micron if I remember right.  smallest dust the human eye can see is 40 micron.  Was told if you can spin a pump easy its worn out.  Now some of the pumps here on the farm can spin with a small breeze  ;D

I have been in a operating room and our local hydraulic shop, what they both have in common is the assembly table is spotless.  If you rebuild a pump keep it spotless.

Looks like a good pump to start with
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

mjeselskis

Got an email back from Commercial Shear. Specs they gave said 35 GPM at 1200 RPM and 2000 psi max.

I emailed back to find out if 1200 is the max RPM that it can run at, but either way, 35 GPM should do what I need. Now I just need to figure out how big of an engine I need

Al_Smith

DDDfarmer

ya...ahhhh no  don't think that will work for you..

Better send that to me before you get any bad ideas.... ;D

Nice score on the pump should make some things move with that
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!