iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hurricane Irma oak

Started by caveman, March 19, 2018, 10:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

John (JMoore) and I sawed up a large laurel oak for a woman Saturday.  The tree top broke out and the homeowner wanted some slabs sawn to eventually make a table out of.  It took until Saturday for her schedule and ours to mesh.  She was enthusiastic and wanted to watch the whole process.  We then took it to her house and stacked it for her.  She gave us a good tip.

The tree the log came from was a victim of Hurricane Irma.  She called us about removing it and we had to let her know that was not what we did.  She got a quote that was several thousands of dollars and I recommended a fellow I know and he gave her a much lower price and delivered the logs to my place.

When the logs arrived, I coated the ends with wax and kept them off of the ground.  She only needs enough wood to make one table top.  The log was a bit much for our LT-28 or my Kubota so we split it with my 359 (which lives again thanks to the coaching from the chainsaw gurus).  That took about 10-15 minutes and then wedges were driven in and the tractor forks split it the rest of the way.  We ended up with five, live edged and quarter sawn slabs with good ray fleck and about as many without.

Several of the slabs were over 20" wide.  A new Kasco 4° was put on and it cut flat and relatively fast throughout
Caveman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

slider

Kyle it's nice to see someone besides me getting dirty.
al glenn

caveman

Al, I have an affinity for dirt.  Staying clean has always been a challenge. Too many folks go home clean at the end of the work day. 

Danny, I think everyone came out well on that log.  The tree service made the most money but they had the most difficult job.  If we factored in the time spent going over to look at the standing tree, coating the ends with bees wax, and the time spent talking or texting to work out the logistics we did not charge as much as most would have but that little mill keeps making us a little jingle.  

As an aside, I was just thinking back to when I first looked at The Forestry Forum.  I am probably more skeptical than most when it comes to joining on-line groups, I e-mail for work while at work, but still do not read Facebook or any other social media.  When John and I were entertaining the idea of buying an entry level sawmill, we were reading all that we could find on the various models and manufacturers.  I was hoping someone would definitively convince us that a particular brand and model was the best bang for the buck and that did not happen.  Just like now, members successfully run a variety of mills but the advice we received then and continue to receive has proven very beneficial and we have had the opportunity to meet some really good folks along the way.

Caveman

sealark37

Sounds like you and your buddy are fitting in well with the sawdust-in-the-pockets crowd.   Regards, Clark

Thank You Sponsors!