iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any experts on Piece-en-Piece log construction? (Short Logs)

Started by eddiebo, September 01, 2012, 11:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddiebo

I am researching this method of log home building. Is this a good way to build with logs if heavy equipment is not an option? Any one here build this way? Input please.
If you are ashamed of HIM, then surely He will be ashamed of you in His Kingdom.

D L Bahler

A search of pièce-sur-pièce will be fruitful

I am not familiar with the particular French style, but I know of a very similar Swiss-German style of building, common in parts of the Canton of Bern. This style is indeed very well suited to building without large equipment. Essentially timber framing with a log infill, and in their view the log infill is suitable for bracing as well, so no angle braces are needed.

eddiebo

If you are ashamed of HIM, then surely He will be ashamed of you in His Kingdom.

scouter Joe

There is a book called : The Short Log & Timber Building  Book : by James Mitchell . ISBN0-88179-010-9 . There is quite a bit of info in it that should help you . scouter Joe

D L Bahler

The Swiss technique is sometimes called Bohlenbau. Though you will get widely varying results if you try and search for it.

The principle, however, is very simple. You have posts spaced maybe 4 feet apart with grooves cut that then receive tenons on the end of the infill timbers. It is important that these horizontal timbers be free floating, and also that they not be relied on to bear structural loads due to the different shrinkage rates of vertical and horizontally oriented wood.
An update to the technique would be to instead cut the grooves on the ends of the horizontal timbers, and have them join to + shaped posts. This allows the posts to retain more structural integrity, as cutting grooves in them can lead to excessive splitting.

jander3

If you can't get heavy equipment to the site, there are many rigging techniques that would be of use (lifiting shear, skyline, gin pole, etc.).    These allow one or two individuals to move quite heavy materials.   We are builiding a new timberframe structure up at our place where access is very difficult.   Step 1 is installation of a derrick crane so we can move logs and timbers to cut the joints and then install them on the building.

The Army Rigging Manual provides some excellent starting points for setting up rigging.

www.petrospec-technologies.com/Herkommer/knots/FM5-125.pdf

Piece-en-piece is pretty straight-forward.  Cut slots in your vertical timbers or logs.    Build a jig, to stack and scribe your infill logs.   Cut tenons and lateral grooves on the infill logs and slide them into the slots on the vertical timbers.

barbender

The title of the James Mitchell book has been changed to The Craft of Modular Post and Beam, if I remember right. It has the most useful info on this topic I have seen.
Too many irons in the fire

oklalogdog

I have both books by James Mitchell - "The Craft of Modular Post and Beam" and "Short Log and Timber Building Book."  They are both excellent books IMO.
Amateurs built the Ark - Professionals built the Titanic

TK 2000, TK 1220, Belsaw M14, John Deere 7610 with loader, Ford 9N.

barbender

I thought they were the same book, this means I'll have to find the other one to read now.
Too many irons in the fire

eddiebo

oklalogdog

john hass

hello- this is a great way to build. you can use any log length you want. if you want a 14 ft room use 14 ft logs or a combination. they really look massive if you use large diameter logs for the corners. use a level to mark the tenons and grooves, as they are about 2 inches wide. then saw them out. stack up wall logs so you can mark and cut several at the same time.  you will have shrinkage at the top if the logs arnt really dry. in fill with insulation and cover with a ribbon board  at the top. ive never seen really short logs used, it would be slow but it would work. if you were building long walls this would give you a wall less apt to curl than vertical logs. dont be afraid to try it. we need more artists not afraid to build out of the norm. john hass

D L Bahler

I could make up a few sketches, if you would like, of how a simple stavverk style vertical log structure would work.

Also, I can show you how a similar Swiss system works, using small sized and short timbers to frame in the walls, and having a horizontal timber infill. You could just as easily use half round logs, and even turn them vertical if you wish to.

Using a system like the Swiss/South German modular framing allows you to build a fairly large structure without the need of any large timbers.

grweldon

I don't know about anybody else, but I would surely be interested in seeing sketches...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

eddiebo

ChrisGermany

I would, as well.

The stave churches built with these methods are, for me, the apex of the wood builder's craft.
"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -- Matthew 6:34

TW

Here is a link to a site about the reconstruction of a 18th century barn in Västergötland in Sweden. Piece en piece construction. The language is Swedish but those of you who do dot know the language may find the pictures interesting.
http://www.vastergotlandsmuseum.se/kulturvast_templates/Kultur_ArticlePageWide.aspx?id=68502

oklalogdog

Here is a video on short log construction or Piece en Piece.  I think it looks pretty good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI3WntNjH4w

beenthere

Wondering what keeps a good stiff wind from knocking it over?

Looks a bit like a stockade, but very vulnerable to falling down.

Does the dirt floor come next? 

I guess I'm not impressed at all, but if someone likes it and is willing to move in their, fine by me.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

Most log houses, at least I believe so, are assembled once at the location where they are made and then dis-assembled and shipped to the home site and re-assembled on the existing standard construction deck.

I would assume that is what is happening in the video above.

Maybe, I could be wrong but maybe.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jay C. White Cloud

Good Day,

I specialize in folk architecture of the Americas, Middle East, and Asian.  I have built this way and know several methods from around the world, (they are all similar,) and extremely stable and applicable to seismic areas.  There are several French Canadian Timber Wrights that specialize in  "pièce sur pièce" timber architecture.  What specifically would you like to know?

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

Jim_Rogers

Welcome Jay, and thanks for your advice and comments.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jay C. White Cloud

Back in the 90's I helped designed and facilitated the construction of just what you're doing.  It came out well.  What you are describing is a hybrid style "piece sur piece" log and timber structure.  Only advice I can give without knowing details, don't user fiberglass insulation, and make the slabs at least 50 mm thick with them terminating into some form of timber frame structure, (whether traditional or modern lamellar method.)

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

hardtailjohn

This outfit is not too far from me. I've seen a few of their homes and they're awesome! My wife and I were going to use the piece-en-piece style construction on our "barndominium", because of the length of the walls as well as the resistance to settling that's mentioned when the vertical timber takes the load.
John

http://www.nordiqueloghomes.com/b_system.html
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Jay C. White Cloud

With the round log method, (as referenced above,) of "piece sur piece," you get more gapping between logs.  This more often used contemporary style of "piece sur piece," also is not as "weather and settling proof," as the more traditional squared edge versions you can still find in many vintage structures of Eastern Canada.

Thank You Sponsors!