iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Let's play "Stump the Donkey".

Started by DanG, March 26, 2005, 11:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbowl

SD, I guess it could be a butter tray if you wanted to put butter in it. Down here, we just call em' wood bowls.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

SwampDonkey

Yup, looks like a tray my grandmother washed butter in after removing from the churn. Is it oblong? Grandmother's tray is made from basswood and is very old. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

asy

DanG, is it tobacco or such?

Now, mind you I don't know, am just guessing, but it's such a big leaf...

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

woodbowl

This one is oblong, made from sweetgum.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

pigman

asy,  I don't know what DanG's big leaf is, but it is not tobacco. That is, any tobacco I have ever seen and I have seen several types.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

DanG

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

UNCLEBUCK

fishbait hmmm  ??? , what kind of fish ?   ;D  I never seen a tobacco plant but if I knew I could grow tobacco up here I would make my own homegrown copenhagen !  ;D  fishbait hmmm ?  ???
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

UNCLEBUCK

Its a large leaf flowering chum plant?

DanG

In this part of the country there is a worm that gets on these trees.  In a matter of a week, they'll completely strip the tree of foliage.  The tree will regenerate its leaves, and sometimes there will be a second crop of worms in late summer.  The worms are considered the premier bait for bream, around here.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

southern catalpa (indian-bean, Catawba)  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

BINGO! ;)  If we get any worms this year, I'll try to remember to get some pics.

tnlogger

Dan is that anything like a tobie worm tree  ???. Paul has about twenty of them planted out back just for the fishing trips. :)
gene

DanG

I'm sure it is one and the same.  K'tawber, tawba, tobie.  Lots of old time country folks didn't know what the real name was, so they called it what they thought their Granddaddy called it. :D

UNCLEBUCK

I watched a fishing show catching shellcrackers or bream/sunfish down in the florida lillypads and the worms were bright red . The bream were huge !

sprucebunny

This one probably isn't too hard. There's lots of it around . It sure puts on a show in spring. It always amazes me that wild plants in colder climates have such large flowers.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

I was gonna wait for everyone to take a stab at this one, but they all seem too shy to guess. ;)

hobble-bush, one of the Viburnums.  ;D

sprucebunny

Yes, the Audubon book says Viburnum lentago L.   Nannyberry. Also " Blackhaw " and "Sheepberry"

I'd be interested to know where it got those names ??? It appears to be almost at the Northern limits of it's range here. I've never seen it as a tree , just a shrub no more than 4 feet tall in clumps. ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!