iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Interesting sawing process to make a laminated rifle stock

Started by jpgreen, March 14, 2006, 11:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpgreen

I would love to own one of these...

A 5 panel resawn out of a plank laminated.

http://www.serengetistockworks.com/
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

beenthere

That is a good way to get figured wood on the stock faces and get stability in the stock.
Interesting that they are calling their laminated stocks 'solid' wood. The meaning of solid wood normally doesn't include reconstituted or laminated material. But times change things. The laminates are more solid than ground up and pressed sawdust at least.  :)

In the 60's, efforts to sell such laminated gun stocks didn't fly (marketing probably failed) but military match shooting teams were a good market for them. Their matches moved from arid to wet sites and a stock that remained stable was a pretty valuable possession. Usually the interior laminate was a solid, straight-grained piece of wood, with the figured blanks laminated to it. Similar to that shown on the aforementioned site.

Some beautiful gun stocks shown on that site. Thanks.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jpgreen

I'm also drueling over a Pre-64 Winchester Mod 70 in 30-06, but it may break my piggy bank.  Nice wood.  I fall for the wood..  :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

highpockets

JP get you a Mod 700 Remington and be happy. I built a 22 Cheetah on a Model 70 frame back in 1982.   On some Mod 70's there is a cap in the back of the bolt. If there is a primer failure, the cap gets in the eye. Not something I heard, Been there.   
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Thank You Sponsors!