iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

had to put the mill on blocks 57" ash

Started by Part_Timer, November 17, 2005, 09:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part_Timer

A friend called last week and said he had a log that is to big for his band mill and wanted to know if I wanted to take a crack at it.  Well sure I aint scared so I went to look at it.  WOW I found a 57" ash 15'6" long.  Mark is going to use it to make doors for his new house.

Now I've seen the pictures on the Peterson site of them cutting on top of a log and never figured I have the chance but I did today.  We had to put cinderblocks under the mill and I had to use my truck tailgate to swing the mill on the back cut.  I had to walk on the log so I could reach the swing handle to swing it on the far side. 

We found 1 piece fo wire in it and about 6 bullets.  by the size and weight I figure they are fron a 25-20.  They were 23" inside it.  I figured there would be way more than that.  I'm sure glad I got a metal detector.

We'll finish up Friday morning and I'll try for some more pictures. 

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Ga_Boy

Tom,

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Aint it great getting to walk on top of the log like that?

I had to do the same thing on that big Maple I did a few weeks ago.   

The owner took over 200 pictures of me milling, and gave me a copy on a disk.  I want to post some on my web site.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

TexasTimbers

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

DonE911

Nice pics..... 

how many BF did you get out of that one??

GF

That is one nice sized log, I would definitly like to see more pictures.

Part_Timer

kevjay-yep that is a bullet.  they cut way nicer than wire.

Don- we tallied this morning and get 1500bf of good material out of it.

GF- I'll get some more pics on Sunday evening.  We're taking the boyscout troop out this weekend and I have to get the truck packed.

As a note.  I hit a piece of wire that was standing upright in the log.  It chipped out 3 carbides and bent 1 tooth a little.  MICRO KERF and wire a real bad combination.  THere go the profits.

would not have made me so mad but it was on the last cut last 4". :-[  :-[
Peterson 8" ATS.

Jeff

Try to make your photos around 350 pixles wide if you could. The larger size is a lot easier to see and that size is easy to optimize to get under the forum limit.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Captain

OUCH !! THE MICROKERF !!

Note to Tom : rescan every 6-8 inches with the metal detector....     :)

Ummm.....Katie.....sorry about your Birthday Present Sweetie, I needed the money for the blade repair.... ::)

Captain

Furby

So I take it we have found a down side to the micro kerf?
Would a standard blade have handled that piece of wire better?

Part_Timer

Well I'm back.  Camping trip got called off.  :-[ :-[

Craig.  I did scan the log.  We found 8 bullets in the log with the detector and just cut through them with no problem.  The problem I had is that I was detecting the wire tip and not the side of it.  It showed the same as the bullets and not iron.  It also showed deeper than it was.  Oh well lesson learned smiley_scholar.  It's just part of the saw business. :) 

Furby.  I think it would have done the same thing to a regular blade.  With the wire standing up in the log I was making the vertical cut and cought just the very edge of the carbides.  this chipped out just the edge of the tip and knocked the tooth out of alignment.  At least that is my thought.  I hope not to ever test the theory but.......................
Peterson 8" ATS.

Ianab

QuoteWould a standard blade have handled that piece of wire better?

Probably, the carbide would likely have chipped the same, but the thicker blade shouldn't have bent.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

twoodward15

108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

Thank You Sponsors!