iDRY Vacuum Kilns

'Nother New Laptop

Started by Magicman, May 19, 2018, 08:23:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I just dug a big rock out of The New Piece. That would of been a good place for it,in the bottom of the hole.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I guess that I am clicking along quite well.  My Spreadsheets are in Excel on my other (backup) Laptop and even though they will open in Libreoffice that I installed on this new Laptop, I was not quite satisfied.  I did some searching and found MS Office Home 2016 for $37.50 so I took a chance and bought it.  The download went smoothly and the License Key turned it on.  I transferred my spreadsheets with a thumb drive and everything works perfectly so I guess that I can uninstall Libreoffice.

The Malwarebytes folks did their job and even showed me how to transfer my Key myself but I am hoping that this new/old unit will last me a looong time.  It's still less than a week old and I am feeling frisky.   ;D

This little 64GB SanDisk thumb is a lifesaver.   smiley_thumbsup 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

DanG that's tiny. And it's only that big so you don't need tweezers and a microscope.  :D I think you can get a 256 gb microSD card now. :o edit: Nope, you can get a 1 tb microSD now.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I went ahead and dumped Libreoffice.  My files seem happy with my new/old '16 model MS Office.  I have added, edited, and saved files so I think that it is OK.  My "backup" Laptop is an '07 model and the files transferred without a hitch.

Yes Dave, I believe that they added size so that you can get a grip on it.  It also has a tiny ring (seen in the picture) so that you could add a split ring and put it on a keychain I guess. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

My USB Bluetooth radio is like your thumb drive, just a little bump on the end of a connector. :)

Good luck with your new machine. I have used Office 2013 since it came out. I use Excel sometimes to do stuff that won't render in weaving software, using color and conditional formatting. It's a slow process, but works. Of course graph paper would to. :D I have not programmed in Access for a few years, but I can still use some old databases I wrote in Access 2000.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I "re-remembered" last night another reason that I do not like/trust Edge when I tried to highlight some text.  It would go part way and then top.  I tried dragging the highlight up from the bottom and again about half way it stopped highlighting.  That plus the backspace sometime taking me an entire page back instead of a character.  MS needs to re-lick their Edge cat....again.  Firefox is up and running.  :)

Magicman

I am going to pretend that it did not happen but this new "old" Laptop died last night but the stopcode message disappeared to quickly for me to read it.  After it recovered and regrouped it actually seems to be responding very well.  Again I shall wait and see again....again. 

SwampDonkey

There must be some serious quality control issues in the chain. It could even be in the chip manufacture. Who knows. I'm sticking with Toshiba. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Magicman

It was waking up from sleep and was taking a loong time before it finally "bluescreened".  I'll keep a record of any future failures.  I'll also make a "PrtScr" of any failures but I do not know how to get them off of WordPad and into an email if I need to send them to Dell.  I'll have to do some Googling and reading.

YellowHammer

Snap a picture with your phone and send it.  I do it all too often when my equipment throws dashboard error codes, numbers, error pictures, etc.  most cameras have more than enough resolution to read the text.  Just a thought.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

Taking a picture with my phone is exactly what I did with the last one to finally convince them that I was actually having a problem.  I was quick enough on the draw twice but failed on my other attempts. 

The failure Sunday night was also too quick for me reach my phone and get it ready, but I could have done the PrtScr.  I Googled and learned how to get the screen shot and how to view it but haven't figured out what to do with it yet but I could take a picture of the screen shot.

I am hoping that this latest failure was a fluke and not another ongoing situation.

YellowHammer

The screen shot is captured as a low resolution bitmap graphic in the clipboard and can be pasted (or shortcut Cntrl V) in any program that will accept the graphics, such as their Paint program in Accessories, or any Office program such as Word or PowerPoint assuming the computer doesn't crash and subsequently dump the clipboard.  I've also put screen shots in the Notepad.  In Paint you can save the file in a graphics format.  Then save and email them the file.    
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

I can paste the screen shot to Word, WordPad, and NotePad.  Just don't know what to do with it then, but I can take a picture of the screen and capture it that way.  Just have not spent any time fooling with it yet.

Magicman

I have been almost afraid to exhale with this new Laptop but apparently I should not have been.  This one is everything that it should be!

There are some things that I don't quite understand about some Word and Excel files that I saved on a "thumb" from my other Laptop.  When I open/use/modify them here I don't find a way to save them except in Documents.  It would be more convenient to be able to save like the other Laptop does but this is OK.  The older Laptop has Word & Excel (09) and this one has Word & Excel (16).  

This of course is not a computer failure, but my failure to understand.  ::)

SwampDonkey

Yeah, saving and printing takes you to a new screen. Not simple, like clicking File/Save or File/ Print from a  menu. No improvement there. :D

Magicman

Twice now this new Laptop has gotten a glitch, a couple of weeks ago and again last night.  This time the clock in the lower right quit "ticking" and I lost all of the icons in the lower toolbar.  I restarted as best it would do but nothing changed.  The battery is not external but 10 screws later I am able to slide the tab out and disconnect the battery.  Anyway both times after reconnecting, everything comes back up.  If this is the worse that it does I am happy. 

I went through the online operator's manual and found nothing.  There needs to be a "restart" button that temporarily disconnects the battery.  smiley_idea

lxskllr

To shut it down, did you hard stop it by long pushing the power button? If not, try that next time. Might be as good as pulling the battery.

Magicman

That makes sense.  I hope that there is no "next time" but if there is I will.  Thanks.   smiley_thumbsup

JJ

You have to hold on/off button down for about 15s, for hard reset.

I found this also works with cars with push button start.  My wife's car battery went too dead to start, and lost ability to control anything on dash (kept going through reset cycles).
The car literally sat there with dash lights and messages flashing like a disco, until I tried holding in the start button.  It shut down after 15s, like a PC.

JJ

Magicman

It is amazing what you can learn here on the Forestry Forum.  :)

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Yup, last night....again.  Actually with every laptop that I have ever had I have occasionally had to unplug and remove the battery.  I didn't know about the button thing so if it happens again I'll give that a try.  Heck my TV box went crazy last week and I had to unplug it. 

Southside

Magicman - a bit off topic but your last sentence there reminds me of a time I was visiting my in-laws and was staying on the pull out couch.  We were watching TV and my MIL went off to bed so I stayed up and watched the rest of The Final Countdown again.  They have one of those on demand TV boxes that the kids also use to play video games on and at the end of the movie I could not figure out for the life of me how to shut the Dang thing off, so I just un plugged the whole thing and went to bed.  Forgot about that little fact the next morning when I got up and at some point when I came back into the living room everyone was there trying to figure out just what was wrong with the whole system as it would not turn on - I shepishly told them that it was unplugged....ooops.... ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Magicman on November 30, 2018, 07:02:08 PM
It is amazing what you can learn here on the Forestry Forum.  :)
But if you just hit it for a couple seconds it goes to sleep. ;D