iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logosol m8

Started by IowaAl, December 04, 2016, 04:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IowaAl

Ok...have done a ton of reading and can't find specific answers to a few questions. I cut mainly ash with some small amounts of oak , maple an red cedar. I DO NOT like the finish look of band saw milled wood. I am after the rough look only a chainsaw can leave. With that said my questions are....1 , is the m8 heavy enough to handle a 2000 pound 16-18' long log that is upwards of 36"+ in diameter?  2 , is there an attachment I'm missing that fastens the tip end of a longer bar and crossover back to power head side similar to an alaskan 36" mill , to prevent deviation? 3 , can the m8 be loaded without the ramps attached to it , as I have a skid loader to set them into place with?

Thank you for any an all help
Iowa al

woodman58

You may have a problem with a log the size you're talking about. An Ash log 36" x 18' will weigh about 6600 pounds.
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

IowaAl

Yeah my 2000 pounds was just a guesstimate. All I really have to go on is lift capacity of my skid loader at 2400 pounds I think. And these logs particular logs are only 14' and it can barely lift em.

IowaAl

Just went out an measured the vast majority of my logs , and they measure 14' by 22-30" in diameter. Only have a couple dozen on larger end of that scale I mentioned in first part of this post. For those I can stick with the alaskan if need be.

Kbeitz

Just knock a few teeth out of set on your band mill and you will have a rough cut look.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

mobile sawmill services

there are techniques to cut larger dia timber with the M7 and M8 mills, but these are akward and time consuming. logosol says 500kg on the lifting beams, ( 2 lifting beams) but from my own experience these are conservitive, the std mill will cut 5m lengths out the box, like any mill, you can extend it, top rails, lifting beams, legs, are all available. but the most important  thing to note, the finish you will get is anything but rustic, a properly sharpened chain on a logosol will leave a finish requiring little more than sanding to give a finished board

barbender

If your setting logs that size on an M8 with a skid steer you'll be back to cutting with an Alaskan mill in no time ;D
Too many irons in the fire

ToddsPoint

I have a logosol M7.  I converted it to the shorter Woodworkers mill.  I can now cut an 8' log max.  My M7 would probably fold with a 36" log 18' long.  I've milled 24" logs on mine, 8' long, that's about the max.  There is not enough adjustment to do a 36" log.  Your first cut would basically be cutting the log in half.  With a sharp chain, my M7 with Stihl 660 makes a very smooth cut.  The longer the bar, the more the droop and your accuracy suffers.  I have a 36" bar I use for cutting walnut crotches for gunstocks.  The slabs are never perfectly square but gunstock blanks don't need to be perfectly square so I'm good with the droop.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

mad murdock

In consistent large día wood, there is nothing like the performance of a swing blade circle mill, IMO.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Ianab

Quote from: mad murdock on December 07, 2016, 05:08:03 AM
In consistent large día wood, there is nothing like the performance of a swing blade circle mill, IMO.

And your 3 ton log stays safely on the ground. Plus, although the cuts are accurate, they leave a "circle saw" finish to the boards.

A well tuned chainsaw mill will produce a finish similar to band saw.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

massmanute

Quote from: ToddsPoint on December 05, 2016, 02:52:11 AM
I have a logosol M7.  I converted it to the shorter Woodworkers mill.  I can now cut an 8' log max. ...  Gary
Can you tell us more about converting your M7 to a Woodworkers mill? I bought an M8, and then realized that it is not easy to cut short logs with it. (It is possible by making a kind of adapter jig, but I haven't had much success with that method so far.) So, I am interested in converting it to Woodworkers mill, especially if it's not too hard to convert back to a full size M8 mill.

massmanute

Quote from: massmanute on October 25, 2018, 04:46:15 AM
Quote from: ToddsPoint on December 05, 2016, 02:52:11 AM
I have a logosol M7.  I converted it to the shorter Woodworkers mill.  I can now cut an 8' log max. ...  Gary
... I bought an M8, and then realized that it is not easy to cut short logs with it...
I am now cutting short logs on the M8. I built a bed of two-by wood. It goes on the log lifters. Angle iron, drilled so I can insert screws horizontally and vertically (into the log and into the bed) hold the log in place. With that scheme I am cutting short logs successfully.

teed

My friend have combined different Logosol products for really big logs. e-mill Boratt edition vs quercia - YouTube
On my homestead, I mill with.
Logosol B1001 bandsaw mill
Woodland mill HM122 bandsaw mill
Logosol F2 with Speedsaw E5 chainsaw mill
Logosol Farmers with Stihl MS391 and MS661

richhiway

You can get a log that large on there but like the comment above, you cut it nearly in half on the first cut. The pieces that large are hard to handle and turn.

Look at some of my vids. You should build a log bunk to set the logs on and then roll them onto your mill. It is very easy to damage the mill loading heavy logs onto it with a machine.

With all that said, you can pick up the mill and lay it onto a large log to cut it into manageable pieces if you have a long enough bar.

I have seen a video of it being done, not sure if on you tube or logosol website.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Mad Professor

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 04, 2016, 05:18:05 PM
Just knock a few teeth out of set on your band mill and you will have a rough cut look.
I've had a M5 logosol for 20 years now. If you use the stihl PMX chain finish is nicer than a band mill and you won't get bandmill waves waves.   oz_smiley
Sorry i don't have pictures handy......

Mad Professor

You'll need an extenstion (1/2 mill) to do logs that long. You bolt that to your current mill. It will add a set of legs and another lifting setup.

The logs will be over weight capacity for the mill.  Several websites have weight calculators for logs, I use the woodweb's.

What you can do is mill inverted.  That is you put the mill upside down, mounted to the log, with the log on the ground.  I think there is a link on the logosol website, that shows how to do it.

That being said, I've milled overweight logs on my M5 mill.  I think the biggest were 12' X 25" cherry and 15' X 24" ash. It didn't break anything.

Thank You Sponsors!