iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Releasing southern pine

Started by bdubya, January 21, 2018, 11:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdubya

What is best? Brush cutter or chainsaw?There are patches approximately of about 0.1 acres if dense 1 to 2 inch caliper oak trees in the loblolly stand north fl. I want to cut the trees and treat the stumps. Probably with glyphosate. Thanks for your help.  Any suggestions?

Claybraker

Garlon 4  or generic equivalent, also gives broad spectrum on some of the other nasties we get around here. A foliar spray in a few months when you get full leaf extension, then hack and squirt or fill and drill with Tordon for the ones that are too tall to wet the foliage.

bdubya

Thanks claybreaker. I believe this can be best treated as a hack and squirt. I want to address trees in 10 of thousands. Do you have experience with a brush cutter? Hopefully it will be more effective than a chainsaw.

WDH

Look into a basal spray.  25% garlon 4 and 75% diesel fuel or crop oil.  Spray the base of the stems you want to eliminate.  The garlon 4 label has specific instructions on how to do it.  If you use a backpack sprayer, you can go pretty fast, much faster than a brush cutter or chainsaw then spray the cut stump and much faster than hack-n-squirt.  I believe that the stems have to be 6" in diameter or less, but that is also detailed in the instructions on the herbicide label.  Here is link to the label.  Look at the top of page 7 at the Low Volume Basal Bark Treatment.

https://assets.greenbook.net/16-33-15-25-08-2017-ld7IN006.pdf

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

timberking

bdubya

Thank you for the suggestion. I will research this. Avoiding the mechanical prep is pretty huge. I will get back on this.

Thank You Sponsors!