iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

anyone ever use those gas powered winches for pulling trees

Started by davefrommd, February 10, 2005, 08:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davefrommd

We used one of those gas powered winches (uses an echo cs-300 chainsaw engine) to pull about 10 trees down cutting them down with a chainsaw. I was wondering if anyone else ever used these winches before. northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company sells them. We also use a 4 ton manual winch. Actually pulling one tree down it paid for itself. dave

tshanefreeman

Hey Dave,

I've never personally used one of these winches but I've always wondered what they were like.  I've seen them is various catologues.  What do they work like?  What kind of mechanical advantage do you get?  What are the ratios?  They look like they have great versatility.....but I also wonder if I'd be better off with a truck winch.  Any personal experience stories would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
T. Shane Freeman
Total Landscape Solutions
...Providing Professional Tree Care Services, Landscape Design & Installation, and Turfgrass Management.

...Helping Canadians Preserve Their Investment.

davefrommd

The advantage of the Rule gas powered winch is if you can't get a vehicle in with a winch this one is portable and easy to set up.  Previously we used a 4 ton manual winch but we needed a winch to pull continuiously with out stopping.  It is amaizing what this little tool does.  We used double line pull on all the trees. If you exceed the capacity of the winch the clutch will slip and the cable will start to unwind.  We had this happen once. We had figured on this tree we didn't have the cable high enough up the tree.  We usually use a second cable and 4 ton manual winch for additional safety.
This gas powered winch would be good to take to a remote area or an area where you can't get a vehicle to.

Powered by 1.83 cu. in. ECHO power head
Engine to gear input: 2.29:1; gearbox ratio: 115:1
Pulls 32 FPM and 1800 lbs. single load; 16 FPM and 3500 lbs. double line
'Rapid-Reply' starter for quick and easy starts
Includes 75' x 3/16in. aircraft-strength cable and 6in. x 2in. tie down strap with 2 hooks
9in. H x 18 1/2in. W x 10 1/2in. D overall; U.S.A.

We tried the Lewis winch and we sent it back because we had problems with it. The first day of use the cable bound up making the winch useless. The Lewis winch hooks up to a chainsaw that you provide.  The problem I believe with the Lewis winch is it comes with 150' of cable. It does not have a cable tensioner like the Rule winch has and if you let the cable get loose it will start to unwind increasing your chances of the cable binding up when you use it.  The more powerful the chainsaw you use the more pulling force you have. The Lewis winch is nicely made and top quality but I feel as though it needs a cable tensioner.  150' of I believe 3/16" or so cable is to much cable for a winch with out a cable tensioner.

If you need maximum pulling power I would get a vehicle mounted winch.  You have the 12 volt models if you get into the higher capacity ones you may need to change your alternator and battery. They have hydraulic ones which should be considered as well. Hope this helps.

sawguy21

I found an interesting variation on this http://www.madsens1.com/capstan.htm
Rope probably not good for skidding logs but one of my customers uses it to pull his river boat over sandbars
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

redpowerd

i supposed if you choked the log with a chain, you could skid with them if carefull. thats what i plan on doing once i find a used one. cant afford a new one now. id much pefer the capstan over cable.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

tony_marks

i use the cheap chicago bumper winch .. 12 volt..
it fine about 4000-6000 pull on double line..but as with any powered winch..
you have to have plan b if she gives out on you at the wrong time..
i keep several 12 volt booster boxes and an long jump cable to hook to any gas motor powered 12 volt system.. this stuff is for occasional use ,not every day..jmo

Mark M

I have a Lewis on a Stihl 046. It will pull like crazy but I haven't solved the problem with the cable getting jammed. I cut off about half the cable and got a spring loaded fairlead. Right now it is mounted too close to the drum to do any good so I have to make an extension, them maybe it will work. This would be a great wench if the cable didn't jam so bad. Also it has to be pointed directly at the load.

Stephen_Wiley

I have a Lewis mounted on a Stihl 031, have also used it with the Stihl 026 and 034.

Performed the job well, with the exception of winding onto the spool due to lack of tensioner.
Have not used it for sometime now. But it sure did a nice job in hauling brush piles to the landings for cleanup.

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

KiwiCharlie

Hi,
I ended up going with a couple of good quality heavy duty 'come-along' hand cranker winches (keeps me fit!!  :o), a cant hook and an improvised 'Jackall' type jack for moving logs.  Peterson (I think) do a real nice jackall type jack.  Are you out there Jake??!!
If I were to get a chainsaw powered winch, I would ideally like to have a dedicated powerhead for it.  Ive seen the Lewis winches at the Fieldays, and they demo them pulling a 4 wheeler bike out of a good sized hole.  Looks like they work well.
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

davefrommd

If you're having problems with your cable binding up on your Lewis winch contact Hans and report your problem. The mail order companies may not be reporting the problems as when I contacted Hans he wasn't aware of any problems with their Lewis winch.  Mine bound up so bad the first day of use I sent it back and ended up paying a hefty restocking fee. I'm still trying to recover my loss which includes having to deal with rude unprofessional  people who hang up the phone on you.  dave

Cannon Manufacturing Ltd.
1319 - 3rd Ave.
New Westminster, B.C
Canada V3M 1R2

Phone: 604-524-6863 or 604-526-9420
Fax: 604-524-6861 or 604-526-2337
Toll Free Ph: 1-877-906-7711
Toll Free Fax: 1-800-665-1552

Email: cannonmanufacturing@telus.net

IF WE CAN HELP YOU ON YOUR NEXT PROJECT, LARGE OR SMALL, PLEASE CONTACT US.
FOR GENERAL INQUIRIES AN TECHNICAL INFORMATION PLEASE ASK FOR HANS

Thank You Sponsors!