iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I have been doing this long enough to know...

Started by brdmkr, July 30, 2009, 12:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

that I just can't sharpen my saw!  My Lucas cuts through logs like a hot knife through butter when I first put on a new blade (or a recently retipped blade), but after several sharpenings, the teeth are not square to the blade.  In an earlier post, someone suggested that was a potential cause of the blade rising in the cut.  I am now sure that is the culprit.  I looked at all of my blades and all of the teeth are longer on the top edge (when the blade is in the horizontal position).  I have tried adjusting the jig that holds the sharpener, but still have trouble getting a clean, shiney edge across the whole tooth.  It always wants to sharpen one side more than the other.  I honestly think I could get a better result with a flat diamond sharpener. 

I thought I would ask if any of  you have had  this experience and what you did about it.  For the record, I only recently figured out how to sharpen a chainsaw, so I am sure this is pure user error :(  I just purchased a new blade to use while the others are being retipped.  It is still fairly sharp, but when it gets dull, I am scared to sharpen it for fear that it will be worse for the effort.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Fla._Deadheader

Never looked at the Lucas sharpener, but, the Peterson sharpener sits flat on the blade. There is NO reasonable way to sharpen the teeth out of square with the blade.

Might check with Captain on whether it would work on the Lucas blade.

The sharpener IS adjustable, so, I would think it would make your life MUCH easier. Sell your Lucas sharpener, if necessary ???

Just my opinion.  ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Captain

Honestly, I've always admired the Lucas ability to remove the vertical blade guard and sharpen the blade while standing in front if it.  As I recall, most of the Lucas sharpeners actually mount to the mill and are used in the vertical opening on the blade.  Peterson's used to work this way before the battery was relocated to the vertical guard.  Now, the blade is done in the horizontal position.  Honestly, a lot of people have trouble sharpening with the Peterson grinder as well, they don't recognize when they are grinding angles into the carbides.  In order to make mine perfect, I have to apply a bit of torsional pressure to the grinder when using it.  I'm just used to doing it.  For many customers, I've made an adjustable stop on their grinder bracket to assist in angle adjustment.

Something's got to be off with the sharpening jig...somewhere. 

Captain

Meadows Miller

Gday

Brdmkr it took me ahwile to get in tune with the sharpener when i first sarted using them  :o :) ::) :P They are a good settup and  it takes me under 3 min from the time i ate the guard to when i put it back on  ;D 8) 

Stick with it it takes time Mate  ;) ;D the trick is that they do move alittle from the pressre of your hand on it  ;) i go by eye and dont rely on any of the setting first i sight along to see where to start then i just twist my hand either way to suit where i want to grind do a couple of brushes then check then finnish grinding if im happy with where things are heading  ;) ;D 8)
another trick is to not rely on the back edge tct blocks as an idea of wether the tooths square on the front as they are allover the shop from most saw shops even the inital grind from the shop can leave alot to be desired  ::) ::)

She'll Be Rite Mate  its a fine art but itll come to you with time ;) ;D 8) 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

brdmkr

I have tried making sure I get a shiney tooth from side to side with each sharpening, but evidently, I am still taking more off of one side than the other.  Maybe if I play around with the settings, I will be able to get the jig such that I get it shiney with one brush. 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

bandmiller2

Bmaker,have a white background behind the blade and use a trysquare adjust or even shim sharpener until the bits are square.If not your just wasteing lumber  your time,and taking life away from the blade.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!