iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Introduction from Alberta

Started by Manorwood, December 28, 2011, 09:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manorwood

Hey folks

Just an introduction.  I live near Edmonton, Alberta, and I have a smallish but overmature wood lot.  In the interests of fire prevention (a real issue here, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Slave_Lake_wildfire) I have ordered a Wallenstein FX65 logging winch to go on my little Kubota.  My background is Forest Engineering (no longer in the industry) and I presently work as a millwright.  The wood to be removed is mostly standing dead birch and poplar with some spruce (porcupine kills).  I also have blowdown to remove.

In the near future I'll be purchasing some attachments for my winch.  On that note, if anybody knows of a place (preferably a sponsor) that sells C-hooks and ships by mail (UPS isn't nice for brokerage) please let me know.

metalspinner

welcome, Manorwood!

You sound like you have plenty of experience to share.  Is a forest engineer similar to a forester?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

mad murdock

Welcome manorwood. Bailey's may have what you need or logrite tools. Both forum sponsors.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Manorwood

Quote from: metalspinner on December 28, 2011, 09:07:36 PM
welcome, Manorwood!

You sound like you have plenty of experience to share.  Is a forest engineer similar to a forester?

Close.  Mix a forester with an engineer (mostly civil, but some mech).  Eligible (in Canada anyway) for PEng and RPF (with the addition of fire, insect and disease courses).  I didn't wind up taking those courses.  I also passed on the P status for various reasons (work being the main one).  When I worked in the field, it was mostly road construction.

Manorwood

Quote from: mad murdock on December 28, 2011, 09:17:07 PM
Welcome manorwood. Bailey's may have what you need or logrite tools. Both forum sponsors.

Thanks.  I'll check them out right away.

sawdust

Hi manorwood, Another Albertan! You will like it here, very good group of people.
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

thecfarm

Manorwood,welcome to the forum. What are you calling a c hook and what are you using it for? How many hp is your little Kubota. I have a 3pth on my NH. I would suggest some short chains to hook up your logs too. I have some 3 1/2 footers and really like them. I also have to 8 foot ones too. Just easier to run a 6 inches or a foot of chain through a chocker than 4 feet of chain. I kinda am doing the same thing you are. But I'm not doing it for fire control,just for firewood. Watch them dead standing trees. They act different than a live one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Manorwood

I'm going to be building my own chokers if I can't find a satisfactory price on purchasing them.  The Kubota is 24hp diesel, so on the small side for this.  The flip side is it doesn't sink into my peat bog (Hmmm.  That stuff really doesn't give the trees much holding power, does it?).  It's been so dry here for the last 10 or 12 years that really isn't an issue.  We had a wetter year last year, but the water was just instantly absorbed by the ground.

Yup, I'll be making some shorter chokers for sure.  I have some decent sized poplars and spruce, but most of what I'll be dealing with is in the 6 to 16" range, so I don't need long chokers.  Especially with a winch.  I've been doing it till now with chains and the tractor, but just too darned slow.  This fire year put a scare into us to get it done.

The wood I pull out gets bucked by friends to turn into firewood, but they just can't keep up with the amount I need gone, so I'll probably start selling some just to pay back expenses.

DoubleD

Wannabe a sawmiller

bandmiller2

Welcome Manorwood,sounds like you could use a sawmill too. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

That 24 hp will do just fine. I just looked at the winch you are buying. You will like it so much. It's alot faster and alot less work. I use to do the same thing you are doing with chains than bought a winch. Much easier to take 3-4-5 logs at a time. If I had money i would like to buy another small tractor like about your size. I have a 40hp NH now. Most of the time now what I twitch out could just about be done with a tractor of your size. Yes,I may have to make 2 trips,but a smaller tractor needs alot less room to get around the woods with. I always have to cut a road for the big tractor. We do have a 30hp NH,but that is the wife's tractor to mow with. I have put a trailer behind it and gone out in the woods a little with it. A big difference. But don't want to bang up HER tractor,so I keep off from it and let her mow with it. No idea what you have for tires,turf, 4WD? No matter what,it will do the job,just make take a little longer than something bigger. A smaller tractor will stay on top of your bog better too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nas

Hi Manorwood, welcome to the forum.  I have that same skidding winch, and you will love it.  I used to use it on my 16hp kubota and, while it was not ideal, it worked for me.

You can get logrite cant hooks from Woodmizer Canada, so you don't have to ship them across the border.

Nick

Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

customdave

Welcome fellow Albertan, Manorwood to this great forum, lot of wisdom & great people here! As far as cant hooks you can get the logrite from woodmizer which are 2 days away on bus. I have ordered from Baileys as well & they will ship via post 5-7 days, good people to deal with also. I highly recommend buying logrite  logging tools very well built & good guarntee, I have several & know I will never wear them out. Have fun & play safe... any questions don't be afraid to give a holler here 8)...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Manorwood

Quote from: bandmiller2 on December 30, 2011, 07:32:20 AM
Welcome Manorwood,sounds like you could use a sawmill too. Frank C.

Nope.  No how, no way... not enough wood or time   :D .  And... the wood I'm taking is not of high enough quality.  There is a local mill I can use for decent wood but... haven't needed his services.

Oh, and Thecfarm - tires are industrials with rear chains.  Tractor is a 4wd.  Sometimes tempted to get front chains but haven't needed them so...

Thank You Sponsors!