iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with lifting method for sawmill head (new build)

Started by rgarrett, March 14, 2018, 01:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rgarrett

Hello I am building a new sawmill I originally wanted to use a torsion spring system like the ez boardwalk mills. However  I have also considered using a roller chain lift for the head. The problem I have with the chain system is I don't understand how it works. I have looked for diagrams both online and on this forum and have still not found pics or diagrams which would help me understand. Also I have called garage door companies for assistance with choosing the proper torsion spring and was essentially told I would have to provide them with my specific spring information and they would sell me a spring based on that. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Also I am looking into cost as a deciding factor  Thank you

Crusarius

This would be very nice to know. I am wondering if I need to add a spring to my mill to make raising it easier. I am using Acme threaded rod but if I could take some load off of it probably be much easier to move.

starmac

Well some members have added springs to there powered heads just to speed them up, I am thinking it would be a plus on any mechanical system.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Kbeitz

I did not want to add spring because I don't want my head to float. I want the gravity to weight it down. I'm afraid that my cut would climb if the weight did not keep things tight. What I did works great. 
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Percy

I seen a home built mill that used a counterweight that was just slightly lighter than th saw head or geared in such a way that the head went up and down fast. He also had some sort of locking mechanism(clamp affair) he used to keep the head from floating as kbeitz mentioned. It was quick. 
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!