iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody ever build a dedicated dual head resaw

Started by CaseyK, June 03, 2015, 06:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaseyK

Toying with the idea of building a dedicated dual head resaw with power infeed and a wrap around. The heads will be below the cutting table and will cut the boards from the bottom of the cant. A single diesel engine will drive the 2 band saws and the max cant size will be 12" wide and 8" tall.
Im sure someone has built one before but when you search for resaw a couple of thousand hits come up.

Thanks Fellas
Home built automated twin blade

hackberry jake

Sounds interesting. I would try to use electric for a big stationary set-up like that. The max width of cut will be 12" so a 10hp electric engine on each head should be sufficient. Then you wouldn't have to worry about drivelines, oil changes, injector pumps, fuel, etc.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

dustyhat

Not a double but i just finished a single, shouldn't be much harder to put another head on. i saw the one on youtube with the turn tables on the ends , really nice setup there.

CaseyK

can you post some pics and information about it dustyhat

CaseyK

Come on fellas, surely someone has built some resaws before. Is there anybody that can give me some insight on what to do different on a resaw in respect to a normal band mill? Or can post some pics? Any information would be appreciated & if you prefer not to post then send it to me in a message. Thanks in advance
Casey K

dustyhat

dont know much about the pic thing right now but i can try to explain  the best i can, first i built the conveyor , just a frame the length you want. Mine is 12 foot, then I run lengths of angle iron down that frame, mounted my rollers, then added the belt. chain and sprocket to the gear box.  Frame is basic pretty simple with hold downs rollers on either side of the head.  And the head is basically lt15 design that sets in the middle of frame, and mine is on top just for ease of putting blades on and off. Mine saws 6 inch wide stock for pallet, just a small version of a grade resaw. The head slides on up and down 2 inch square tubing with the size that fits over it, adjustable with allthread. I run a 13 horse power motor, does really good in hard wood. I'm currently putting the last piece - will be motor speed controller for conveyor, my return conveyor runs off the same gear box, chain and sprocket with sprocket running on the outside of the main chain. that will make the return run.  My wife had to type this and as soon as I figure out the picture thing I will post on here. 

CaseyK

Thanks Dusty for the information. I feel your pain concerning the posting pictures. I have to relearn it every time I start to add photos. I do remember that you have to add them to your photo album first then they can be added to a post by copying the link address.

Thank You Sponsors!