iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Two trees growing together

Started by 123maxbars, January 21, 2016, 06:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I was doing some timber cruising last weekend of some timber that a friend gave me on some land he plans to build a home on, and came across this unique piece of nature. Has anyone ever attempted to harvest two trees like this together in hopes that the grain might have fused as one? I will probably just treat them like any other tree but thought I would share this nice surprise.

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Magicman

Looks like a Red Oak and a Cherry.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ncsawyer

That is very interesting!  I would think it would be difficult and tricky to get the two trees cut down without them splitting apart.  But where there is a will there is a way. 
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

sprucebunny

My experience has been that there is bark between them and they fall apart.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Dave Shepard

The one on the left looks more ulmus to me. I doubt they are grown together at all.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

lirachamo51

had something similar today cutting firewood 2 birch trees and in between a hard maple took the biggest birch all growing from the same stump it appeared  ???
Randy

woodmills1

The butt section of the tree on the right is no good, fell that above the double.  Then notch the left one as low as you want. Then back cut through both.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

280 rem

Quote from: woodmills1 on January 21, 2016, 07:26:42 PM
The butt section of the tree on the right is no good, fell that above the double.  Then notch the left one as low as you want. Then back cut through both.
Fully agree
We saw walnut lumber for the same reason Willie Sutton said he robbed banks, "because that's where the money is"

Select 4221E, baker edger, cat 908 loader, Jd 548E, timberjack 230d, hood 7000 loader.

WDH

Quote from: Magicman on January 21, 2016, 06:51:42 PM

That is what it looks like to me, too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

There is a eastern white pine and an ash tree doing that across from the house I grew up in.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brucer

I see trees like that all the time. As Sprucebunny says, there is nearly always bark between them. One tree wraps around the other.

If you cut them down below the place where they interlock one of them will give you some interesting C-shaped cookies. Just be really careful falling them.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

For saw logs it would not matter but personally, I would want the Cherry stump at ground level.  There should/could be some interesting stuff there for projects.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

grweldon

Quote from: Magicman on January 21, 2016, 06:51:42 PM

I also have a red oak and a cherry growing together on my place... is it possible for the structures of both trees to be mixed?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Magicman

If you mean actually grafting "fusing" together, I would say no.  I have seen many instances of tree limbs grafting.

This one is totally grown together.

This one is not grafted and would separate.

And this one is a whole/hole "nother story.  I hates it.  :D 

jueston

those ones magicman just posted would make for some interested slabs, but i don't know how well they would dry...

if your interested in 2 species of wood in the same lumber, you can buy(if you have the money) lumber from grafted trees, this is where they take the roots from one tree and graft another tree to the top, this is common in walnut farms...

google walnut graft wood and click on images.... lots and lots of examples...

OneWithWood

Here is an old post about a similar tree:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,2730.20.html

The trees do not graft into a single tree.  As has been stated there is a layer of bark in the crotch. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

outpost22

Well, I guess someone could try to mill this one  :)   

Creating one more project one at a time.
Burg Bandsaw Mill
Stihl 010
Stihl 210
Stihl 251
Stihl 461
Husky 350
Kubota L3800

Magicman

I am packing my clothes and will be ready to travel at 6:00 AM.   8)

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on January 23, 2016, 07:26:09 PM
I am packing my clothes and will be ready to travel at 6:00 AM.   8)

And I'll be there to tail for you if I can have just one good board/slab from that log...

Herb

Magicman

Lets see, that is one for you, one for me, one for the customer, and one to sell to pay expenses.  Sold  $300. 

woodmills1

I have a walnut that double trunked  about a year after The lovely Kath and I met.  I left it as two, and it has twisted into a nice statement of our life
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!