iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dry as a bone

Started by GeneWengert-WoodDoc, May 13, 2018, 08:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I graduated as a meteorologist a few years ago, and follow the weather.  Today in north central GA Piedmont, we had 92 F and 25% RH (5% EMC).  This is a terrible air drying condition for fresh oak, beech,  hickory, etc., but great for maple, pine, etc.  Climate change I guess.  Reflects that even in air drying, we need to be aware of and react to the weather.  

Forecast:  Repeat on Monday.  Of course, on Tuesday through Friday 80% rain chance.

(What does 80% mean...that 80% of a person will get wet, that 80% of the county will get rain, that two 80% days in a row mean 160%, or what?)
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Southside

There is an ag weather service that sends me daily forecast info, it has soil temp, growing degree days, moisture needs, surplus, etc in addition to the normal weather.  What is funny is there is a glitch in the algorithm that predicts the % chance of rain for the day.  The forecast is broken down by the hour and it will say something like 10% chance at 0700, 10% at 0800 and 10% at 0900 then 0% for the rest of the day, but in the summary it will read 30% chance of rain for the day.  Kinda makes a difference if its a 10% day or 30% day as to weather or not I am going to cut alfalfa.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

firefighter ontheside

If there is a 10% chance for each hour from 0700-1900, does that mean there is a 120% chance for the day?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Percy

I believe the weather guessers keep us a tad confused so we will never know for sure when they are wrong. :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!