iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hey, 'tater man! (SwampDonkey)

Started by DanG, February 23, 2007, 01:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

You seem to be the resident expert on 'tater growing, so I'll direct this inquiry to you.  Others, please feel free to comment or advise. ;) :)

I'm in the process of getting my Red Pontiac potatoes planted, but I gotta switch gears this year.  I usually fertilize with mushroom compost, but my source has dried up.  I have a bag of 10-10-10 granular on hand and thought I'd use that, but I haven't a clue how much I should use.  'Bout how much per 30 foot row?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Murf

DanG, a question like dat is sorta like how much vittles will it take ta fill a feller up?  ::)

Depends on da feller, da vittles and how long it's been since the last chow call.  :P

Best thing ta do is make soma da Goobermint work fer yer money. Take a soil sample in ta da County Extension agents and get a test done. Dey will tell you *exactly* how much of what *your* soil needs for what crop.

Basically speakin' tho' taters need lotsa Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Zinc, and maybe in barren soils, some Iron.

Past that, sandy soil, some water and lotsa sunshine and yer off ta da races!!  :)
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

breederman

we always wait for the snow to melt before planting! :D
Together we got this !

Onthesauk

I use 10-20-20 on most of the garden but use azalea/rhododendron food on the potatoes, they like the acid.

Best potatos I ever grew, or at least the biggest, were mulched with compost made out of rabbit manure and maple leaves.  I had individual potatoes that were over 2 pounds!
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Chris Burchfield

I' batchen it tonight. Going to fill in at the horse-pistol shortly. Fatherinlaw's left leg ampt. on Wed. Not been havin too good a time. Tater's and onion with plenty of salt and black pepper for taste for supper. Things are looking up, it's suppose to rain Saturday.  :) Had to get my Forestry Forum Fix before I cut out tonight. Say a prayer if you can, Chris.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

SwampDonkey

It would be hard for me to prescribe how much fertilizer on your garden rows Dang. Got no idea what type of soil you have. On my garden I use a handful every 3 feet of row in the furrow. Composting is very good for potato yield, especially we found chicken manure to be very good. It also seems to prolong the life of the plant a bit. Some early varieties die down after 70 days or there abouts or from drought stress,and once the plant does this it ain't feed'n the tubers. Spacing also increases average tuber size, but doesn't influence the number of tubers produced too much. ;)

Well since I'm up on the soapbox for my 5 minutes..... ;D :D

When father packed and sold spuds we had a market for 10 oz minimum, called chef specials. We sold a good many trailer loads per season. There was potatoes in them boxes as big as your feet. There was no hollow heart in them either that some 'processor thieves' tried to assert. Dad's spuds didn't turn black when cooked neither.  The other counts (# in a 50 # box) were 70, 80,90,100, 120 and the smaller ones, but bigger than 2 ", were called 'strippers'. Strippers or maybe 100-120 counts are what you see mostly in the grocery store.

"New Brunswick has a calcium rich soil type called "Carleton" soil which is one of the most fertile soil of North America's soil types.  Many people believe this accounts for the excellent taste of New Brunswick potatoes." If you look on our soils maps of New Brunswick all the grey areas is the Carleton soil and it's mostly in Carleton county. ;)

And I'm sit'n right on some of it. ;D

Grocery store potatoes sit'n in the heat and bright light  ::) bleck, gag. I don't eat a lot of potatoes, but usually 6 meals a week has a spud.

Take the family out to a potato farm during harvest and pick the fall outs from behind the harvestor. Remember to keep well away from the machinery. That air head of an air vac harvestor can toss a stone with enough force to knock ya stone dead. I've seen fan parts get ejected out them suckers before. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

Thanks guys.  As I said, I've always used mushroom compost but suddenly can't get any. :-\  I have a heavy loam that tends to get mucky when we get a lot of rain.  Thats why I'm so late planting, as target date around here is Valentine's day.  I'm gonna incorporate some sand in the rows and mulch with some 3 year old sawdust.  I'll go with the handful per 3 feet and see what happens.

Breederman, the snow already melted here, the day after Christmas.......1982. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Dana

Go easy on the sawdust. It is a big robber of nitrogen until it has fully decomposed. ;)
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Jeff

And it also will add to your muck woes.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

stonebroke

If you have a lot of sawdust you can make compost out of it by mixing pure nitrogen fertilizer( urea) with it . Sawdust by itself does not compost well because of the high carbon content by introducing nitrogen you have a better carbon nitrogen ratio to feed the microbes. Compost of any kind is probably your best bet. The more organic matter you can put in the soil the better.

Stonebroke

hiya

One thing we have done was lay the taters on top of the ground and cover them 
with about 8-10 inches of stwaw or hay. When my wife needed some before they were picked (not dug ;D) she would just reach under and pull out what she wanted. Nice and clean too.
Richard
RichardinMd.

DanG

I plan to use the old sawdust much the way Hiya describes using hay.  I can scrape it off after the taters have been et. :)  Future muck isn't a big issue, either.  I'm going to move the garden to a new spot in the next year or so, and the current garden area is slated to become a catfish pond. ;D 8)

SwampDonkey

I've caught catfish here on the Dungarvin river. I didn't know what it was until grandfather told me. I ain't never seen another one in the rivers here since. Don't even know if it's a native fish up here.
-------------

I just looked it up, it's the Brown Bullhead Ameiurus nebulosus and it is native here. It's color would blend well in the waters of the Dungarvin, it's dark murky water.

http://www.briancoad.com/NCR/Ictaluridae.htm

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

limbrat

Dang i do real good with rice hulls, and worm castings I fed the worms cotton jin trash. I dont know about chemical fertilizers but them castings are hard to beat.
ben

WDH

Wow DanG, pretty soon you can have both catfish and potatotes. Yum!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

Could one call that Surf and Turf  ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DanG

Ain't sure I ever had catfish and taters at the same time.  If I did, I don't remember it, but there's lots of things I don't remember. ??? ::)  I most always have grits with my catfish. ;D

WDH

Not even French Fries    ????????????? :o.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Well, I never saw no sense in having fries with grits, and I also never saw no sense in having catfish without grits.  I can't say that I never ever had taters with catfish, but.....................................why?? ???

Got the taters in the ground this afternoon.  I spread about 3 inches of sand on the area and dug it in with the rotor tiller 3 times.  The sand really helped the tilth of that mucky soil!  It's supposed to rain tonight, so I'll lay some drip line over the spuds next week, then cover the whole mess with old sawdust.  I'll let y'all know how they go with the pole beans. ;D

WH_Conley

Quote from: DanG on February 24, 2007, 11:37:33 PM
Ain't sure I ever had catfish and taters at the same time.  If I did, I don't remember it, but there's lots of things I don't remember. ??? ::)  I most always have grits with my catfish. ;D

Carefel, Dang, Carefel
Bill

WDH

You are right, DanG, I have never saw any sense in having fries with grits, either.  I see your point.

Like you say, taters and pole beans are a pair made for each other.  It hungers me.

SwampDonkey

I'm afraid fish and chips (fries) would be a culture shock for the old feller. I don't think he could handle it. ;D :D

WDH

Before he did that, he would fry the grits first.  I bet that you have had fried grits, haven't you DanG?

DanG

DanG right I have! 8)  I've also eaten fish n'chips plenty of times.  But, you usually don't get catfish with that.  You usually end up with some bland, tasteless fish from Northern waters, and it is rarely cooked properly. ::)  I would gladly consume french fries with catfish if I found myself in some establishment that had catfish, but didn't have grits, but I don't know of any places like that.

Some things just belong together, like horses and carriages and love and marriage, and hamburgers and french fries.  I don't know that I ever ate grits with a hamburger, now that I think of it.  Not sure I ever will.  That would be like putting peanut butter on a hot dog.  I like'em both, but they just don't go together.

Thank You Sponsors!