iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cup o' soup

Started by old joe, May 15, 2009, 10:10:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

old joe

Anyone have a problem with armadillos in the garden? and what's the cure.
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

Radar67

Only cure I know is a 22 rifle.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

RynSmith

My german shepherd worked just fine when we were in Arkansas  ;D
I actually thought about renting her out, but never got around to it...

PineNut

I have had success around raised beds with an electric fence on the edge of the beds. They don't seem to like that hot shot to the belly.

Jasperfield

I'm happy to report that the armadillo problems, here in the mountains of Western North Carolina, are at a minimum.

Jasperfield

easymoney

they have been in middle tennessee for a few years now. it is not uncommon to see road kill armadillos here. my ex mother in law used to keep cat food out 24 hrs for stray cats. one day she went out and a little skunk was eating cat food. the cats was stanfing back looking like are you kin folks or what? about the same time a little armadillo found out about the free food and started to join in. he did not seem to be afraid of people as long as he got free food. ;D

DanG

Dogs are the best defense against armored dillers and most other garden pests, including deer, 'coons and rabbits.  The .22 works well if you want to stay up all night.

'Dillos are rampant around these parts, and they could take lessons from the possums about crossing roads.  I been thinkin' that a feller could do well for himself if he could develop a market for armadillo hulls. ;D :P :P
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Woodwalker

Quote from: DanG on May 15, 2009, 10:32:07 PM
I been thinkin' that a feller could do well for himself if he could develop a market for armadillo hulls. ;D :P :P

Remember seeing a guy trying that DanG. He had taken a diller hull cleaned it up, looked like a couple coats of varnish and made a hat out of it. Very  ahhhh....  unique, I've only seen the one. Don't think the idea took hold.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

pigman

Quote from: Woodwalker on May 16, 2009, 08:35:50 AM

I've only seen the one. Don't think the idea took hold.
How much did you pay for that diller hat. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

DanG

Quote from: Woodwalker on May 16, 2009, 08:35:50 AM

Remember seeing a guy trying that DanG. He had taken a diller hull cleaned it up, looked like a couple coats of varnish and made a hat out of it. Very  ahhhh....  unique, I've only seen the one. Don't think the idea took hold.

Did he leave the tail on it?  Ya gotta leave the tail on it, else people think it is a fake. ::)  I've heard that armadillo hats with the tails really drive the girls wild down at P.C. Beach during Spring Break.  At least that's the rumor I'm starting. ;D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

isawlogs

I think you'all trying to create a market  ;D    I got to go on beaver patrol this evening .. one did not get the message , He is trying to make me a pond where I would greatly appreciate some buckweat .....  :-\   
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

nas

you can make me a hat anytime Marcel smiley_striped_tophat

You know the saying "save a tree, eat a beaver" 8)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

brdmkr

If you have dillos in a relatively small area (like a garden or in your flower bed) you can catch them pretty easily in live traps with wood barriers leading them into the trap.  Take some 8+" wide lumber and make a Y with the arms leading into the trap entrance.  You can make these arms pretty long.  Armadillos will hit this barrier and follow it all the way into the trap.  No bait is needed.  This works pretty well in relatively confined spaces, but in big areas (acres) you would have to build some pretty long arms.  22s are still the quickest and easiest, but the trap can be working while you are asleep.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

DanG

Are you saying that armadillos are less than brilliant, Mike?  What is that going to do to their self-esteem?  There is no need to pick on them just because their brain is no bigger than a turnip seed!

Political correctness aside, that's a great suggestion, and it comes from one who would know.  Anyone who can tell what color a fox was by looking at his/her poop, really knows their...er..ah...stuff! :P :D

old joe

I guess I got all the help y'all figger I deserve.  Dusted the affected areas of the garden with hot chile powder,  Armadillo sneezes woke me during the night, but no new damage.  Next time I'll try grits
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

Fla._Deadheader

My wife just told me that, down here, the Mountain people make Sopa (Soup) outta them heavy duty rabbits.  Guess it's handy to have 'em supplied with their own cookin pot attached ???  ::) ::) ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

ely

army dillo= the other , other white meat.
my jack russel takes care of em here. if they live they live without tails.

sawdust

I suspect that yesterdays snowfall has set them back for yet another year. I doubt that Sprucegum has any this year either.

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Thank You Sponsors!