iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Baker Crew... Tell us about your "Baker Quik-Sharp"!!

Started by jpgreen, January 07, 2006, 01:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpgreen

I caught a glimps of your "Baker Quik-Sharp" sharpener on your website, and only have found a couple mentions on it from web searches. Not as much information there as I would like.

I'm looking at these various brands and I like the idea of sharpening on the spot, right on the machine.  Someone mentioned it's not full profile?  Does that mean not sharpening all edges?

Also the ease of sharpening making the task faster and easier, so you'll opt to do it more freakquently sounds great.

Tell us why it's worth consideration, and why I should drop my hard earned cash on your machine...  8) ;D

-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

mike_van

I emailed Baker about the Quik-Sharp, they sent a brochure about it, just a few days ago. Mostly the same info as on the web-site. It did include a price of 1350.00 + 30.00 sh.  I have a few more questions too, I will probably phone them or email back. I would really like to see one work or try one out. If they have a demo unit  that would be great, or someone near me who has one.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Jeff

Not sure if you will get an answer here before Monday but I am sure we will get some good info then.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

farmerdoug

Jeff are you saying that their are people who do not check out the Forum all weekend? ???  I am shocked.  :o Now Furby will not feel so bad about missing the Forum for a few days at a time. ;D

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

jpgreen

I wana keep it up there for when the boss gits in... :)

Jeff

They won't miss it. I sent them a heads up to look at it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Husband

jp, i have sen the unit work myself. I was at the factory in Mo when Wayne Swayers was doing the prototype. (very clever man). :P
They work a treat, just set them up on the blade and let her rip, not sure on how long it took to do a blade, somewhere around 7-8 mins from putting it on and to taking it off, I am sure the Baker boys will correct me here if I am wrong. ???
Give them a ring and get Tom to bring one down to the next show and have a play with one, when you like it , see if you can get it as used.......like the mill. :D

jpgreen

gmmills

jp,

I have the Baker products video and it has some footage on the Quik-Sharp. I checked it out again last evening. The sharpener looks quite simple to adjust and operate. The only negative thing I see is that it only sharpens the face of the tooth not the whole tooth profile. In order to maximize your blade flex life the whole tooth profile must be ground, the face of the tooth, down across the entire gullet, and up the back of the tooth. If you are going to invest in a sharpening system buy one that sharpens the entire tooth profile.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

jpgreen

gmmills-

It will interesting to hear Baker's reasoning for producing a machine that only sharpens the face of the tooth.

Could this be a cost saving measure?  Maybe making a full profile "on machine" sharpener might prove to be to costly to produce, enabling it to be sold affordably?

Surely there are some sound engineering reasons for this.  Can't wait to get the WHOLE detailed story on this unit!!   8) 8) :) :) 8) 8)

Sam

Good morning fellas! Hope you had a nice weekend. We had a really nice weekend here in Missouri. It was in the seventy's yesterday. Unfortunately, it's supposed to snow tomorrow, but then be back in the sixty's by Thursday. That's a Missouri winter for you!

With our Quik-Sharp, you sharpen the blade before it gets too dull. And yes, it just sharpens the face, not the gullet. And since your taking care of it before the set is knocked out, there's no reason to even use a setter. Simply attach it to your blade and in about three minutes you have a resharpened blade.

It's kind of like with your pocket knife, it starts to get a little dull and you sharpen the edge.

Sam

jpgreen

Thanks for the reply Sam.  Few questions:

Does it sharpen any brand of blade you could install on a WoodMizer?

I just bought mine and it's the first band mill I've ever owned so I don't know squat about band blades.

So do you beleive it's not necessary to do a reset and "full profile" re-sharp of the band if you sharpen it before it gets dull with your machine?

Does this elliminate the need for a setting tool?

Does this address the "blade flex life" condition posted above?

Will your system increase blade life and improve the quality of cuts?

How many re-sharpens can you get out of a blade?

Can the gullet be ground by hand easily (say with a Dremel tool) in addition to your sharpener, but not needed as often, thereby completing the full sharpening process?

How long do your wheels last?

Is this the only sharpening needed for Baker mills?

Thanks kindly,

........... JP

woodbowl

Quote from: Sam on January 09, 2006, 10:29:33 AM

With our Quik-Sharp, you sharpen the blade before it gets too dull. And yes, it just sharpens the face, not the gullet. And since your taking care of it before the set is knocked out, there's no reason to even use a setter. Simply attach it to your blade and in about three minutes you have a resharpened blade.

Now I remember! ...........  Sam, I think I saw your sharpener at the world congress center in Atlanta about 5 years ago. Was that your display? If I remember right, it would fit in the palm of your hand, clip onto the blade while it was on the mill (brake off) and advance itself as it sharpened the face. I've been looking for it ever since. I've seen the quicksharp on your site but don't remember it being that big. Is this a different model?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Tom_in_Mo.

Sorry fellows I was trying to get on the website this morning at about 8:00am but kept getting calls from people (which is no complaint whatsoever) and then when I started to type I got a call from my son, where he was in his vo-tech class about 50 miles away. The ole Flu bug had caught up with him so I had to go after him. Anyway I am back now and if it doesn't catch up with ole dad here I will try to help with some of the questions.

We built the quicksharp for those guys who was needing to be able to sharpen their blades without the trouble of taking them off the mill ( if you want you can still do this to sharpen, just afix the arms that come with the sharpener and set it up tabletop) Like Sam said when you notice the blade starting to get dull just slap the sharpener and sharpen the blade. The sharpener only hits the face of the tooth and yes if you have to set the blade then you will have to get a setter just like any other brand of sharpener in its class.
you can sharpen on the woodmizer but make sure your brake is off freeing the bandwheels.
you will get about 4-6 sharpening from that blade usually. You could get less and in some cases maybe more.
Woodbowl, I thought you seen the Quicksharp at Moultrie last October, must be my age starting on me.

woodbowl

Quote from: Tom_in_Mo. on January 09, 2006, 01:32:48 PM

Woodbowl, I thought you seen the Quicksharp at Moultrie last October, must be my age starting on me.

Your age is fine Tom.... We were so busy yakin' about everything else, I couldn't see it cause it was probably right in front of me. Where was it, under the tent?... I guess I slobbered on every mill out there and I still missed a lot of stuff.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Tom_in_Mo.

yeah, kinda sorta. It was on the table by the literature.

I can't remember which year it was, but we used one blade for all three days, by just using the quick sharp and kept the blade sharpened whenever the operator noticed it starting to get dull.

I know three days at these shows isn't alot of cutting, just thought I would throw that in before someone else did. ;D

mike_van

Tom, do you have anyone near me in Kent Ct.  06757 that has one?  Or would you have a demo unit you would ship out?  I'm one of those people that can't buy "sight unseen"  ?  You can email or PM me if you have any possibilities.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

jpgreen

Well- I think that about answers all my questions..   :o ;D

WH_Conley

Are there any numbers on BF before the blade breaks? I know that would be a wide spread with all the different bands. Maybe just a general idea.
Bill

getoverit

It usually breaks on the last board you cut except on rare occasions when it breaks on the board you are cutting.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

jpgreen

woodbowl

Quote from: WH_Conley on January 10, 2006, 03:58:04 PM
Are there any numbers on BF before the blade breaks? I know that would be a wide spread with all the different bands. Maybe just a general idea.

3500 BF with Simonds,  8,000-10,000 BF with Monkforsager.  With Simonds you can saw straight and turn up the wick a bit, with MF you can saw straight but usually have to slow down. Other brands seem to vary somewhere inbetween unles you spend the money for a WoodMizer blade. Zoooooooom ......... Time is money. choices, choices. Personally, I'm looking for a cheap blade that flys through the wood and also cuts straight!  ::) ::)

Thank You Sponsors!