iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saturday with Peterson! (New Photos! 1-11-05)

Started by CosmoPack, December 20, 2004, 02:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CosmoPack

First day with the swing mill!

Learned quiet a bit this first day. The motor had been sitting up in a barn for over a year and had gummed up.  Didn't want to have to fiddle with trying to clean that baby up and wasting alot of time.  Put a new carb on the Honda 24HP and she fired right up.

Set up the tracks out in a level spot.  I think that I need to do a little fine tuning there, But I was pretty close for a beginner.  I set up a couple of cants for the log to lay on with notches cut out.  I used a 8x8 and a 6x6 to accomodate the taper.  I started with some 9' pine logs that were about 33" on the butt and 21" on the small end.  The sawing went pretty good until I got to the bottom layer.  I was sawing 1 x 10 out of the log at this point.  When I sawed about half of the bottom layer off, the log rolled to the right.  I repositioned the log and wedged it up to finish it out.  (I also discovered what a climb cut is! No damage, just an opportunity to practice saw adjustments)  For the second log, I attached a set of log dogs from a Mobile Dimension saw to the cross bucks.  These held the log spot on with no movement at all.  I was pleased with the performance of my first day sawing with a swing blade.  Hope you enjoy the photos!

Mill site setup-

First Log - Pine 32" Butt, 9'Long

First pile of lumber-

More fun to come! -48" x 16' on left, 42" x12' on right

Jeff

Alright!  Nice whack' O lumber at the end of the day ta boot.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Ga_Boy

10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

pasbuild

Make sure you save that first board cut soos ya cin nail er up on da new saw shed ween U get er built ;D
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Jeff

Bibbyman

I'd take me the first day just to figure out how to put it togeather! :o

Looks like you're having fun.!!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

CosmoPack

When I got the mill re-tuned late in the day I put together a run of 14 1 x 8 x 8 in 15 minutes.  I was well pleased with my efforts.  I'll start on the big oak logs on Thursday afternoon.

We hope to start our building in January.  We'll have to catch a warm day to pour the pad for the mill.   Hope to be in full swing by February 1.

Fla._Deadheader

Well, that sure looks good to me. I'd say yer on yer way to more fun than you can stand. Great looking Whack-O-boards. ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Captain

Well, I talked with Cosmo the night before, and offered my on-the-phone assistance on-demand for his first day.  He never even called.  

Great Job Chris!!

Captain

PS like the truck too...

Paschale

Giddy up!  You're in business now!  Looking good...   ;D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

customsawyer

Looking good.
Might have to eat some grits to work on dem biguns. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Mark M

Quotewhatza CosmoPack? ;D

Dats what Carl Sagan used to ask for when he bought beer. It was billions and billions of beers.

Tom

That swing mill is cool!  I'de like to have one.  But, I sure do like that log loader that you have attached to it.   :D :)

UNCLEBUCK

Very nice !  I dont know a thing about swing mills but there is nothing more exciting than firing up a new mill . Thanks for the pictures too . Have a Merry Christmas   ;D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Hammy

As they say down here,... Good on ya mate!!

Looks good Chris, sounds like you're already well on your way. I'd keep a close eye on that loader of yours, I'd say DanG would be fair fizzing to get hold of something like that!

Keep up the good work & keep the photos coming too.
C. Hammond
Petersons

Percy

Heya Cos.
Looks like your haven fun. Good deal. Are ya stiff yet from board packin,wrasslin all the stuff that needs wrasslin while millin?? I remember my first few days of millin after riding in a log truck for twenty years.It hurt to grin and I was grinnin steady. Saw on Dude, your makin it happen ;D ;D ;D ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Ianab

Good one Cosmo  :)

Thats one thing I like about the swingmills, read the manual / watch the video, set up the mill, make good boards  ;D

That crane rig must make handling those bigger logs much easier too.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Wife

Keep up the good work there cosmo.
I'm in need of a hand at the next shoot out.
Actually, now we can run two mills, :o one for you and one for Captain :D
I'll keep the beer cool for the finish, thats a job that I think I can handle ;)
Keep the pics coming, Chris. (wifes hubby)
Kerris, in the background....
Petersons Global Sales Ltd
15c Hyland Cres
Rotorua, New Zealand
www.petersonsawmills.com
kbrowne@petersonsawmills.com
Ph +64 7 3480863

TN_man

Good job Cosmo 8)
Keep us up to date with what you learn. We would appreciate any pointers.
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

CosmoPack

Hey Percy,

I was dreading Sunday morning, just knowing that my back would not be cooperating with me.  I was a little bit stiff, but not too much.  I've got a semi-manual band mill there as well, and I have had more hurt from that on than I did on the swing mill.  No Log Turning!  I think that's part of the improvement.  However, pulling the saw back through a 10" deep cut has it's disadvantages as well.  

I don't think that I'll worry about the loader leaving town.  It's driveable, but after the first 20 miles, you'll want to park it!  My loader helps a lot handling the logs.  I've got a bigger machine on the way for handling the big oak logs.  The "G" Prentice could only drag some of the logs off the trailer.  I had to use an old 648 Deere grapple skidder to move them around the yard.  

Captain offered some good tips over the phone on Friday and I jumped on the sawing pretty quickly once I got set up.  I've got some questions to throw out, once I gather my thoughts back together.

The Shootout is in Bangor this year, right?  A good cold beer is a great enticement for a good day of sawing!  I'd definitely be up for that.

Maine is not a bad place to be - in May!  I'm not much for the below zero cold and much over an inch of snow. One inch of snow in North Carolina is a blizzard!  Close the schools and good luck finding milk and bread.

Here's a photo of the log dogs attached to the skids.  They made a big difference on holding the log in place.

KENROD

Way to go Cosmo!
Nice look'n whack'o boards, not ta mention yer setup. Good think'n on the log dogs. Keep the dust fly'n. 8)

Captain

Shootout?  In OHIO this year.  June 3/4/5 and YES the Captain will be there. ;D

iain

Swing_blade_Andy

Iain

tha's e bruarrr wee kilt ne seaten... d'ye kin tha broag laddie.

I'sa wet cha wearin fer millin the nu..

tha's greet tha..

brungsa wee tearr sa ma ei

Bruarr hogmania te yer n' yurs'

masel ya gang awar bet I'm fer tha doin's tha morin.

Slanté

Andrew
(sa a wee dram o' whiskee yuv ain ye hon)

Thank You Sponsors!