iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 046 bogging

Started by rangerbob, February 03, 2008, 09:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rangerbob

It's been a while but since I last visited the forum but I have a problem.

My Stihl 046 Magnum, big-bore piston, 8 tooth sprocket, and 24" bar with square chisel cutters bogs down when cutting. As soon as I use the dawgs to lever it into the cut it will "bite" for lack of a better word and the chain will stop spinning.

Any suggestions on how to correct this? It gets really annoying having to pull off of the log and then start again.

Thanks all!

Kevin

Are the depth gauges filed to spec for proper clearance?

rangerbob

You know what - I'm not sure. This happens with new or freshly sharpened old chains ( the chains have maybe one or two re-sharpenings on them).

Kevin

Check that out, some sawdust will bind up a chain also.
Clean air filter is important.
More severe problems could be anything from a carb adjustment, rebuild or an air leak.

arojay

rangerbob, are you saying that your clutch is stalling out or your saw motor is bogging?  There is a difference.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

boulderridge

I have an 044 that was giving me the same problem. Turns out I got carried away with an air grinder on the raker teeth.  :-\ It gets a little better after every sharpening because the cutters get a little lower each time.

Boulderridge

ladylake

Sounds like low rakers to me too. How fast does it cut without the dogs? If it bogs easy without the dogs you could try opening the high adjuster around 1/8  of a turn. To lean and they bog easy. Personally I keep the rakers low and don't use the dogs much except when felling then it's a little touchy. Most of the wood I cut for firewood is down already.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Danny Dimm

If the engines running fine, your rakers are to low, if not, it could be a number of things allready mentioned. Check the screen in the muffler. First thing we do with a new saw is get rid of it. And go to a seven tooth sprocket. You won't believe the difference it will make.

arojay

I think that dogs aren't supposed to be for levering through a log, but rather to provide a safe support when felling.  A sharp chain with properly maintained rakers will 'pull' itself through, in my experience.  I agree with the seven slot rim sprocket, but I still wonder if the trouble is between the carb and the clutch or the from clutch on out.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Captain

I run an 8 tooth with a 20" bar on my MS460.  But...it is not exactly stock  ;D

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!