iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Debarker

Started by WH_Conley, October 18, 2015, 04:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH_Conley

I have an LT40HD with the old Mark 1 debarker. The motor has been rebuilt a few times over the years. Finally the local starter repair shop said he can not get parts anymore. It is my understanding that Wood-Mizer does not service the Mark 1 anymore. I have tried a couple of aftermarket motors, having to make them fit. No luck with them. The starter shop guy got them, said they were the same specs. As a side note, he made them good. Seems like I read somewhere that the Mark II adds extra weight to the saw head. Has anybody else been in this boat and what was the solution?
Bill

MartyParsons

Hello,
Part # for the Mark I debarker motor is 006747 $251.49 this motor is used many places, power feed and up and down on the LT35 and the LT40. It is a different motor that was used originally. I looks like brushes are available for the original motor. See note below.

There is a kit available to change your Debarker to Mark II. It may slow your saw head up down a little. It depends on your budget there are many up grades that are available if this becomes an issue.

Here is a note in the parts manual about the brushes.

Motor 006747 replaces 014359 originally supplied prior to 11/08. Use brush kit 061794 for new motor. 014359 motor changed by vendor 7/07. Use brush kit A09086 for original motor supplied prior to 7/07.
Use brush kit 006619 for newer 014359 motor (identifiedby red & black motor terminal spacers). Brush Holder 034000 applies only to old motor and is no longer available (vendor discontinued 3/09).

Hope this helps.

Marty
Hope this helps.

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Kingmt

What parts are you needing? Brushes & bushings are easy to make. Bushings & bearings are usually a common size so even if the part number isn't used anymore they can still be found if you want to do some looking. As far as brushes it is easier to just take a bigger brush & sand it down to the right size.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

WH_Conley

How much is the conversion Marty? I take it that the Mark II is a much better setup, no belts and bearings to worry about as in the Mark I.
Bill

barbender

I have a Mark l, it's performance is a little lacking. When I set it up with enough pressure to cut deep enough to do any good, it starts kicking the breaker.  Maybe my breaker is a little weak, but the motor just seems underpowered. I would love to upgrade mine to a Markll, if me and the money get together ::) Short of that, a mod I would like to try, is using a 7 1/4" circular saw blade and making it wobble like a wobble dado blade, in my mind it should be able to cut a wide kerf with a narrow kerf blade.
Too many irons in the fire

deadfall

QuoteShort of that, a mod I would like to try, is using a 7 1/4" circular saw blade and making it wobble like a wobble dado blade, in my mind it should be able to cut a wide kerf with a narrow kerf blade.

It will be as hard to push that blade in direct proportion to how much material it is moving.  It might be worth a try, though.  You gotta get as deep as the dirt got and no more.
W-M LT40HD -- Siding Attachment -- Lathe-Mizer -- Ancient PTO Buzz Saw

============================

Happy for no reason.

MartyParsons

Hello,
Here is the note in the up grade section.
NOTE: This kit may also be used to retrofit a MKI Debarker on mill models prior to '97, but be aware that the additional weight of the MKII Debarker head may cause the up/down motor on these mills to experience current overload, motor trip, or a shorter life span.

016205 Cost is $ 1020.51

My opinion is I would not invest $ in the Mark I. It is better than no having any debarker but is prone to bearing failures and some other issues. The Mark II is a proven design with out many issues. It works real well and still used today.

Hope this helps.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Kingmt

If the motor is already kicking your breaker a more powerful one in most cases is going to be worse. Check out your wiring. Make sure your wires & breaker are big enough. Also make sure all your connections are clean & tight.

Magicman

Breakers do go bad.  I have had to replace mine.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

Hmm...deadfall, are you saying there is no free lunch? ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Kingmt

Quote from: Magicman on October 18, 2015, 05:07:55 PM
Breakers do go bad.  I have had to replace mine.
I've bought new beakers that were bad. Of you trip one often it will get burnt & not hold.

texrose

Hello:
Just getting on this site. I have a woodmizer resaw with the same DC 1/2 hp motor(014359).The unit was used very little. Unfortunately the magnets let go in the casing of the motor and the magnets broke in pieces. Everything else has tested out to be OK with no damage. The brushes, rotor armature etc all good. Anyone with any parts (case with magnets intact) out there, or does anyone need any parts which I may have available if I need to replace mine with the newer model(006747). 
Thanks

sparks

The Mark I Debarker was undersized for the job it needs to do. The Mark II is the way to go. The kit comes with everything you need including a 70 amp breaker.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Thank You Sponsors!