iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got my bandmill today

Started by music_boy, October 27, 2003, 01:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Hey HUNTER700.  Good to see another Alaskan poster on board.  Funny how you folks tend to post here when the weather gets cold, then disappear in the summer. :D  Sounds like you've been having fun with your mill. How about some details?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Norwiscutter

got the oscar 36 and for what I'm doing it is great.  I didnt get the trailer package because i do most of the cutting by myself and would have a hard time getting the logs on the carrage. Good advice on the lock nuts. In reality my saw really only cuts about 30-32 inch diameter without trouble. After that it gets tricky rotating the logs. Hopefully you got the most horsepower available as it seams to really make a difference.  You will find that pushing the saw during the cut is a non issue as the saw roles extreamly well. I found that lubing the blade with anything with more viscosity than water or rv antifreeze tends to increase the occurance of throwing blades.  I love my Hud Son and boughtit with the understanding that my sawing was going to be a weekend hobby.  I have more than paid of the 7 grand it cost me in the 7 months I have thus far had it.  My only experience with blades so far are the woodmizer blades recomended by the company and have let to have any problems.  The worst part about having the mill is that i cant seam to find enough time to run it.  I now have about 10-12 thousand bd/ft stickered but dont really know what I am going to do with it. I guess thats a problem that alot of people would like to have though.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

music_boy

Thanks Norwiscutter;
      Actually, I asked for the 8 hp engine. They told me the 5.5 was plenty and the 8 wouldn't fit anyway. 5.5 outa be o.k. Appreciated the info on the blades and lube. There seems to be a myriad of formulas and advice there.hudson told me soapy water but most everyone else suggests mix of diesal and oil. Maybe Hudson knows the belt will fly.I'm already begining to think I should have gone with the 28. At the time I was "squeaking" across the decision line. I figure if things go like alot of others. I'll upgrade to a larger mill. Shoudn't have trouble selling this mill.
Thanks
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

Minnesota_boy

Before you start mixing that diesel and oil, try the water and soap, or just plain water.  In real sappy wood, I use a lot of water, but it's cheap and leaves no odor and is not hazardous to the environment.  The exception is when it is below freezing, then water becomes a problem.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Norwiscutter

The reason I got the bigger model was because I have a lot of trees that are over 20 inch.  Everthing I have cut so far has been pine and cedar.  The smaller sticks that you will be dealing with should be no problem with the 5.5 as long as you watch the feed rate. Did you get that handy dandy trailer package?  I like the idea of being able to pull it with a four wheeler.  Should be able to get it back in to some of those places reserved for an alaskan mill. Will be interested to see what kind of production rate you can get with that saw.  Good luck.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

music_boy

I didn't get the trailer package. I have a set of boat trailer axels that plan to cut down to fit. with a tow hitch and level . A small ramp with a boat winch outa take the back strain out of loading logs.
     Got the bearing guides set today and set the track up. Fired the engine up and all looks good so far. Gota get me a log.
     I like the soapy water deal best. Hate the smaell of diesel on wood. Try to be as environmentally oriented as I can.
Thanks all
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

UNCLEBUCK

hello music boy, just wanting to say howdy and my experience here at the forum started early this spring and I had a whole farm full of trees and a head full of ideas and with the help of everyone here I was able to saw my own logs and it is a blast ,even when I have something go wrong I know I got the forum for support, I got a big grizzly shop bandsaw but I got a circular mill that I saw logs with. Been playing a Gibson 5 string bluegrass banjo for 20 years and a Fender Telecaster for the same doing the rock-a-billy thang ! Lookin forward to seeing your pictures and hearing your sawing stories, lots of luck !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

dtody

I used my little saw last Thursday, four hours, couple hundred board feet.  I'll have to figure out a cleaning method for the dirt.  Blade rises when it gets dull.  Re-cutting the length of my wood, 9' max now.  Log dogs limit smallest cut to about 3" high.  A lot of adjusting for a good cut, but I haven't found it yet.  A toe board might help.  Cutting stickers was a challenge, but I got some.  

We went back to felling trees Friday and Saturday, around 30+, got a spalted maple log, 2' by 10"/12" wide, nice pattern and one doe early.

I'll work on pictures later.

Thank You Sponsors!